Options

What do you want from a marshall?

I'm helping to put together a marshals' instruction pack for an upcoming event so I would be interested to hear people's views on what makes a great marshal?

I know that when I ran the Mad March 20 recently the marshals couldn't have been more supportive and I actually think that they made a difference to my overall time by being so encouraging and supportive (despite having been out there for quite a long time by the time those of us at the back of the field went through!)

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Rose.

Comments

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    When I marshall I often get people asking me how far they have run/it is to the end. Sometimes I have not known the exact answer, so I think it is really useful in the marshal list to put not just where they are to stand, but also how many miles in they are, it's not always obvious and it's good to be accurate, saying not far to go just annoys people image
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

As above, knowing whereabouts they are on the course is very helpful. Knowledge of what's left too!

Also, could some of the male marshals give the male runners some encouragement and not just the pretty girls!

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Races have mile/kilometer  markers - how can you not know how far you've come/got to go? image

All I need from a marshal is for them to point me in the right direction, and to stop cars if necessary at junctions.

• Options

to be fair Wilkie not all races have markers - I did the new forest half and it didnt. and no-one stopped the cars either. . . .image

• Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
  • Options

In my view

a marshall is better if their a runner themselves  

All i want from a marshall is to be sent in the correct direction

marshalls should know that they maybe there for a long time, regardless of the weather etc

they should be as caring  and help ful to the first runner as the last

as for traffic, they can ask a driver to slow down and be patient, but in law i dont think they have a legal powers to stop traffic

there fore it is our concern for ourselves, as in we " partake of this event at our own risk "

anything else is a bonus

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

as for traffic, they can ask a driver to slow down and be patient, but in law i dont think they have a legal powers to stop traffic

They don't, but they usually succeed if they do it in an appropriate way. 

People usually respond to someone in a hi-viz vest standing in the road image

• Options

hi Wilkie

thats quite right yes

• Options
    Point me in the right direction is no 1!

A smile, and possibly a word of encouragement is nice.

Basically I'm just grateful they have given up their time to enable the race to go ahead. I try my best to thank them, but sometimes I'm just too done in!
  • Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Races have mile/kilometer  markers - how can you not know how far you've come/got to go? image

Most of the races I've marshalled I've been asked this - I've rarely known the answer exactly and had to guess.  Lots do not have miles markers and if they do they are missed.

I want a smile and encouragement from a Pierre Brosnan lookalike,  with chocolate thrown in

• Options
    ToucsToucs ✭✭✭
    Pint of Stella and a ham & pickle roll image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Similar to what other people have said about knowing where they are on the route but for me it's also knowing: How far it is to the next water/loo stop etc.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Clear indication of which way to go.
  • Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Marshals should have emergency contact numbers on them so that if someone is taken unwell or is injured they can contact the race first aid support/medical team asap. If on a road based course knowing where they is helpful for exactly the same reason. Try calling 999 and not knowing where you are! That happened to Mr Frog in a local 5k 3-4 years ago, trouble is he hadn't lived in the area very long so had to ask a passer-by the name of the road.

My main requirement/expectation of a marshal is that they help me to avoid being run over by vehicles. At a recent half marathon in Richmond Park, the marshalling was particularly lacking and a member of our club was actually hit by a car and no marshal offered any help at all.

• Options

I want a Marshall to go up to 11!

(sorry couldnt resist. I'll get my coat)

• Options

Marshals have no legal power to direct the traffic

but at road crossings they ought to be out there in the traffic wearing dayglo and waving their arms
    and generally making the cars aware that something unusual is going on and it would be a good
    idea to slow down and wake up

• Options
    Good looking men? image hehe in all seriousness a encouragement, a smile and friendliness. Which is often the case but sometimes not. And perhaps jelly babies.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

As a first-time marshal the thing that struck me on the day is all the questions you get asked, long before you're sent off to your station.  So I would say that a good marshal briefing is important - make sure everyone knows where the toilets are, any specific arrangements for getting people to the start, whether/where there is any baggage drop-off, water stations, etc. 

Yes, this sort of information will be in the runners' information but that's beside the point.  People have the capacity of a goldfish for absorbing this kind of information, plus some of the marshals may well be volunteers drafted in at the last minute who are literally turning up on the day and awaiting instructions.  So a good marshal briefing gets my vote, then make sure they know where they are on the route when they get there.  I guess emergency phone number contact including everyone having the number for the race safety officer, etc. is a given.

• Options
    As PP, but make sure marshalls have their phones charged up and that Race Director (or whoever) has each marshall's phone number too. If a hot day, give marshalls further round the course a supply of bottled water (I was marshalling at 9k on a 10k trail race last year on a very hot day and my extra, unofficial water station was much appreciated, especially by the slower runners).

Good luck image
  • Options
    baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭
    best shout of encouragement is "good running!"....short and sweet...always appreciate it (especially if on the point of collapse)...
  • Options
    At the pre race briefing, the Marshalls should be clear where they are to be positoned, and how they are to get there. Not every Marshall has a bike and cars may not be allowed on the route, especially if it is a cross country race.
  • Options
    This is all great stuff. Thanks everyone.
    My only problem is that we'd decided on Rock Star Jumps rather than jumping jacks?? Do you think that'll be an issue?

In all seriousness, this is all very useful stuff.

Thanks.

Rose.
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Good luck to anyone who thinks wearing a high viz vest will make a car stop? It might work in the middle of a town but try asking some hairy ass farmer to stop his 4x4 on his way to market!

As for all races having markers? They don't!

• Options
    There was a particularly supportive marshall at the Cambridge Half who was high fiving the runners and giving lots of encouragement - at just before mile 9 this was the perfect place for him to be so maybe do your best to get your most outgoing people at the toughest bts of the course.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Heh. In the Falmouth Half, as we were struggling up a brutal gradient there was a marshal telling us "don't worry about this hill, it's nothing compared to the next one". Couldn't argue with him on a point of fact, has to be said.
  • Options
    The marshals might not have the right to stop cars, but cars have no right to run over runners either.

Knowing where they are on the course is handy, and if there are gaps between the runners then have their arm out pointing in the direction we have to go nice and early helps. Make sure that they are stood in the right spot on tight turns or where there are a few different options of paths to take so that we don't have to think too much in our confused racing state of mind.
  • Options
    Marshalling is harder than racing!

You need a good SOH. A rubbish bag (for the gel wrappers and other crap that will come your way). Your own water/sarnies/flask of tea (some clubs give their volunteers some nosh). You must know how far from the start/end you are. Check out all obstacles such as high kerbs, low hanging branches, slippery surface.

Above all be energetic. Shouts of "looking good", "brilliant running" whatever are all appreciated just a smile and an accurate point/route description "sharp left here, well done" goes down well too. What makes me wonder is how some marshals sit in a chair contributing nothing and puffing on a foul smelling rollie and then get grumpy when nobody says thank you.

It's always a neat idea to commandeer some kids and get them to hand out jelly babies.

Be prepared for anyone, no, everyone over 65 who walks past your marshal point to stop and chat and oooo and ahhhhh at the distance involved. image

Above all be thick skinned. Some runners must get grumpy when they are tired as they don't say thanks and can even be rude. The vast majority however will say thanks and appreciate that you've got the hardest job.
  • Options

Chase the the bad guys outta town