Hull Marathon, 1st Female!!

Comments

• Thanks, Hilly, will do.
    I bet you they decide to get the numbers up by running a concurrent Half-marathon, and, even a 10k, to really tempt fate! Plenty of scope for more Snafus. For example:
    http://www.rrm.com/forum/showthread.php?395-Course-SNAFU-Causes-DQs-in-Memphis&s=ecb887e89e6faa33f584425a2aeb73fc
  • Well if all the runners had followed each other and there was not the correct route markings especially thorugh pickering park then everyone has not done the correct course.

Have a look at the courses available from the following link, one map is from a runners GPS and the other is the official route as per the Hull Marathon Website

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=47040

As you can all see the lack of route markers in pickering park have cut off a portion of the race resulting in everyone not doing the correct distance

I hope that others can verify this, as it clearly shows that they did not lay the course out on this part of the marathon. and possibly other sections aswell.

Futher proof that the company setting this up are incompetent and furhter proof that there are many problems with this route!!

Make your own judgements but its easy to see.

• In black and white found this image on another forumshowing the bit everyone missed off. did everyone turn left as soon as they got into the park? My sister never she is gutted

http://i43.tinypic.com/ftpj0i.jpg

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    But Jane, not all the runners can have cut out the same bit, or Hilly would have been in the lead both before and at the end of the missed loop, and therefore would still have crossed the line first. Either Hilly (and other runners, presumably) ran the missed loop above and the 'winner' didn't, or the 'winner' missed off another bit.
  • The detailed map photo on the Hull Marathon Facebook page does not match the map of the course on the race website around the entrance to pickering park. Hoping that the facebook photo is correct, because it matches the garmin trace.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=242813712483243&set=a.242813342483280.50832.100002638498490&type=3&theater
  • From all the garmin data everyone ran this route, they have 2 route maps one that was uploaded on facebook a couple of nights before the race and then the original one on there main website which presumably is the correct course as this has been the one that has been there when the course was correctly measured by the officials I would imagine it was this course they measured

Dont forget that this is only one part of the course that everyone was sent the wrong way i.e not turning left and going straight on.

Basically everyone ran this route it was just the wrong  route if you go by the original route map on there main website. its roughly half a mile short by all accounts.

• There are other parts of the course that were run long. For example we ran to the far point at Victoria Dock even though the course measurement stipulated that we should turn around 18.7 metres before that point.  Also we should have turned right down Strickland Street then onto Madeley street before going under the Clive Sullivan Way flyover, but were directed the slightly longer route of straight up onto Hessle Road instead.  The course measurement report also stipulates that Garmins are up to 5% inaccurate.  Given all those factors we clearly ran the marathon distance.
  • I would also offer the fact that the winner of the race had 26.08 on his Garmin.  As he would have followed the lead car / bike religiously, it would be expected that his measurement holds the greatest credibility.  Any following runners would have found ample corners to cut had they chosen to do so, or plainly not realised where the racing line was.  As the Garmin does not pick up every twist and turn then I would suggest that he ran at least 26.2 miles.
  • watching it in Hessle and no marshalls at Costello lights, darleys roundabout or Heads Land. My dad watching at the other end of pickering road informs me the marshalls cleared off there after 15 mins of marshalling. Shame the lack of marshalls has spoilt such a great event. Just been told the leading lady coming off the humber bridge was actually running as part of a team (white vest and ear phones in) - she didnt cut a huge chunk out (that everyone and me included) thought. Well ran today everyone imageSunday at 7:43pm · LikeUnlike

This is what a friend of mine posted on facebook on Sunday - saying that the marshall in Pickering Park only stayed at his post for 15 minutes before leaving. Could that explain why some of the runners further down the course missed out the loop in Pickering.

• The 'first lady' coming off the bridge was clearly nothing to do with the main race, although I'm glad that someone (the eventual real winner) had enlightened me about the relay that was running alongside otherwise I would have been very confused!

As for the marshalls/police clearing off, news of that was already spreading around by the time the leader passed me at 20 miles, so it could well be that only the first few actually ran the correct full course.

But even if that was the case it was still absolutely nothing to do with the problems surrounding the 1st/2nd lady issues, it was far too early.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

For information I was well aware of the woman in white long t-shirt and ear phones and knew she was in the relay.  I passed her in Pickering Park.  The other lady who came in first was well behind me at this point.  She must have gone wrong around Victoria Dock as she was not seen coming back the other way by anybody.  Whereas I saw every man from 2:42 to those who finished behind me!  The issues with the course route at Pickering Park are a completley different issue.  I ran 3:08:51, which is what I would expect for a marathon.  I was in 3:04-3:10 shape depending on the conditions and how I felt and ran within that time from a 1:35/1:33 half as I would have expected.  The lady who won was behind me from before the Humber Bridge as I went past her having spoke to her at the time!  She would have been behind me at 13 (the only marker) and nobody went past me in the second half, but I went past another lady who was then the lead lady of the marathon just after the 13 miles and the lady in white as stated above who I knew was in the relay.

I had reccied the course and studied the maps around Victoria Dock before the event as both BR and I knew it was tricky. 

If anyone has issues with the course then maybe you should take them up with the organiser.  I personally was not affected during my run with the course maybe because I was near the front end so marshalls and police were still out crossing us over the road without any issue, but that's not to say there was not room for improvement.  I did note late in the race after we had been for food and went back to speak to the organisers around the 6hr mark some poor woman coming in and nobody there to tell her where to go so she was directed by PCSOs to go straight across the square when she should have done a loop of the city about another half a mile + so definitely later in the race I witnessed lack of organisation.

As far I'm concerned I won fair and square with a well executed race and it's a shame for the lady who finished ahead without completing the full distance due to no fault of her own and I know if it were me I'd be very upset with the organisers.  I'm an experienced marathon runner and was fully aware of my race and my position the whole way!

• Now been confirmed that Hilly was the winner and the Hull Marathon orgainser has manned up and admitted that mistakes had been made re. the original winner.

He has also confirmed that the course was accurate as run.

• In his own words,

Good Morning.

Please note that following an inquiry which has indicated a mistake and error on my part as event organiser and director, the winner of the ladies race at the 2012 was incorrectly identified and accredited.

A request has been made to the timing company to have the results adjusted accordingly.

Please note that this was an error on my part alone and the runners involved had no knowledge until after the event.

Ladies race winner - Dawn Broom.

Congratulations Dawn, we will arrange your prize and trophy in due course.

• I have just read this thread and still can't work out if the actual course run by the majority actually matched the course as measured for the cerificate for the race. If the course didn't match teh certificate then surely the course actually run must be remeasured to allow results to stand.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    My understanding is the organiser did remeasure the course and we are for this to translate into a course accuracy certificate! We have been out at the points of change today including Pickering Park and no way was that section half a mile as some have reported! We are in touch with the organisers who keep reasurring us!
  • The certificate for the course is taken from the route on the Hull Marathon Website, the images of the new route for pickering mark where uploaded a couple of days before the race. I would imagine that the course with the loop missed out has not been re measured and is not the correct course that was originally measured. dont forget that there are probably other parts of the course. we will never know unless there is an official map of the course and what the course measurers actually measured.

The 2 images are on there website for all to see its no secret, i very much doubt they had it re measured by the official people.

The debate will go on and on, hopefully the race will happen in 2013 and it will be run by the local clubs or a company with a track record in these types of events.

Far too many issues to pin it down to a single thing, and a bad error by any events company to try and cut corners in order to save profit.

Its a lesson learned and we where all warned about it many months ago so we cannot expect anything else really.

Looking forward to a re-vamped Hull Marathon 2013 with a new team of organisors running it.

Watch look north tonight there is an interesting interview i have been toldimage

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I understand there is a written assurance by the race director that the race was remeaasured and accurate. If this were not the case the UKA licence would be invalid and the public liability insurance.

The times run by most at the sharp end certainly indicate an accurate distance.

Local runners may have been warned but many of those who entered were not local.

Will watch Look North later and await further communication from the organiser with the answer to many questions asked. At the end of the day I ran a race and won it, but it does leave a sour taste at present.
  • this is the link to the one and only course measurement that has been done.

http://www.coursemeasurement.org.uk/detail.php?area=North&no=2011284

As dated 28 Oct 2011

the route is right if you ran this one however no one did, they missed the loop in pickering park which is not on the official route that was measured.

Funnily enough the link to the course measurement has been removed from the Hull Marathon Site

THEY MAY STATE THAT THE COURSE WAS CORRECT IT WAS BUT THE COURSE PEOPLE RAN WAS NOT

• If what you say is correct Jane, then the race has no insurance and therefore is open to all sorts of compensation claims from people who went the wrong way due to lack of marshalling...

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    The course we ran was the course the organiser put up on FB a few days before which he says was remeasured.  I quite understand what you're saying, so need to SHOUT.  I'm saying that the organiser has said he has had the course we did on the day measured and it was accurate.  If it turns out he has not and has lied to us, then obviously the results should not stand.  I know exactly what course I ran and yes it was the one without the loop in Pickering Park (which measured .42, measured today on our investigation)
  • In view of all the contoversy, wouldn't it be a good idea to ask the person who measured the course originally (I think it was Neil Pattinson) to re-measure the course as was used for the race on Sunday. Only by doing this do I think we can remove one of the major clouds still hanging over the event. It would also give some credibility (or not) to what the organiser is saying
  • that is the only way i can see this issue getting sorted out and given the nature of this it probably would be better if it was done, I am sure Neil Pattinson will know if the course he measured actually included the loop or went straight on.

Or if by the organisors statement that they had it re-measured when they released the new images a couple of days before the event then there will be a new certificate for the adjusted course and the day it was measured.

And this certificate will be viewable online as per all the other course certificates, can the organisor supply the link to the new certificate for the re-measured course?

I very much doubt it

the organisors have lost all credibility and i hope they are not allowed to organise this event again Hull deserves a marathon and it could do very well given the right backing by the right people.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I have asked the organiser to provide this information and if he doesn't then yes he should not be allowed to organise any more marathons.  For the present I am giving the benefit of doubt even though in  my own head as an experienced runner I have major doubts!  I and many who ran on Sunday are feeling very let down.  I am still awaiting my winners prize as is my husband for being the first in his age group, but I would forfeit them for an accuate course certificate!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Jane did you run the Hull Marathon as I note you rate it as 20%? 
  • Hi Hilly

I never ran it my sister did, i am in london. Ive worked with many events within the UK and seen many different events all around the UK and europe, when an event is as poorly ran as this one, these things and issues tend to jump out at you. there where a series of errors in many areas.

I would imagine the UKA officials on the day will have had a big list of problems and issues with this event.

For city based marathons organised by events companies these things should not happen, you can expect some of these things at small events where there are not as many volunteers etc but not with an events company who do this for a living.

Hopefully these issues and whoever ends up running it will host a proper event next year and it should run in the safe manner that an event should.

After all its competitor safety that is paramount.

I might event get back to Hull next year and run in it myself depending on the organisation, we will see image

• I haven't gone through all 5 pages of comments on this race but i will at some point.

To clarify some of the issues on this page alone regarding measurement.

I have had confirmation from Neil that the course he measured was not run. The alledged comments by Karl Jackson that he had it re-meaured just before the event do not hold any credance as far as I am concerned because I have not received an amended course measurement report. I have spoken to a number of measurers in that area to establish whether they measured the course after Neil. They have not.

I will not be asking Neil to measure thhe course that was run because we not issue retrospective measurement certificates.

However, I do need to be certain the course run was not the measured course, and all I have to go on at present is anecdotal comment.

Can anyone direct me to a selection of Garmin traces for this event. I need to see a selection so i can remain objective as I look into this. It really needs to be a site that is independent of this forum.

Many thanks

Brian Porter

Measurement Secretary, North of England

• Brian - is it now customary to use Garmin traces to establish the veracity of a course?  I was under the impression that course measurement officials did not really like Garmins due to people continually questioning the accuracy of certain races.
  • And if your investigation did establish that Neil's measured course was not the one run on the day, what action(s) would you take as a course measurement official and what actions would UKA take in respect of their permit?

Thanks

• As I read his post, Brian is wanting to look at several garmin traces to see if a major error has been made, (eg a loop missed out, the start/finish being in the wrong place, the course being completely) rather than to check distances.