Options

Hull Marathon, 1st Female!!

Comments

• Options

I'm looking into whether the course run was the measured route.

I am not using them to establish the length. I'm trying to gather evidence. The more evidence I get the more informed discussion I can have. Garmins are just 1 of a number of avenues I am pusuing.

Garmin won't pick up whether someone was on the left or right of the road, but it will pick up whether they missed out the sort of distances being muted.

I do not believe this is the place to talk about any decisions that may be taken from either a course measurement or licencing perspective so I will not be drawn on here

• Options
    IncaMarts wrote (see)
    As I read his post, Brian is wanting to look at several garmin traces to see if a major error has been made, (eg a loop missed out, the start/finish being in the wrong place, the course being completely) rather than to check distances.
    Correct. thank you for this
  • Options

Brian - nice response.

Did wonder as a cumbrian whether you would post:

Ad montes oculos levavi image

• Options
    I don't think anyone would expect UKA or any of its officials to discuss such serious issues as these on a public forum, but I'm pleased that Brian has taken the time to inform people that a full investigation is being planned. Hopefully, evidence will be gathered to prove or disprove the allegations being bandied about, and the integrity of the sport can be maintained. Thanks Brian.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Interesting...
  • Options
    Just looked up the results on Powerof10 not very good news.
  • Options
    So I just looked on here and Hilly (Hiya) is first place
    http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/results/Hull Marathon/906

has the other lady who "finished in front of hilly" been removed or what?
  • Options
    Even more interestingly give what I have read about what happened further down the field about a lack of marshals is that by knowingly altering the course in at least 3 places the organiser invalidated his UKA liability insurance, so had anyone been injured due to the lack of promised road closures, thinking that they were covered as this was a UKA licensed race, they would have been sorely disappointed and the organiser left with a huge headache.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Jamesito - your 're right not good news as the Hull Marathon is down as short for everyone.  I feel angry at the organiser as he lied to us basically!  He did not tell us before the race that the course had been altered  and when discovered lied further saying it had be remeasuered!  Had he told us before the race and it's obvious he knew, then we could have made the decision to run it without a certificate of accuracy or being offered a refund to run a different marathon. I would have taken a refund and run a certified marathon!

Hi goldbeetle - I did win so I should be down as first.  That much they shouldn't take away from me!   Although on PO10 they have put the lady down as 1st, which is wrong in my eyes!  But I know I won and I ran the full course as it was on the day with a time I'm very capable of.  Oh well life's too short to get too worked up over it eh, so back to the training and onto the autumn marathon goalimage

• Options
    Wondering why Pof10 have it as `short' rather than NAD?  I thought the investigation was into whether we ran the permitted course, not how far we ran on a slightly different course.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If my legs would let me I would!  Unfortunately I gave all and now have tired calves that would not run another marathon on Sundayimage
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Interesting how after today's confirmation that the marathon was short, the race orgainser has this evening removed the facebook page without any offer of explanation for this mess!  Let's hope he donates all the money made to charity! 
  • Options
    aha the plot thickens!! running for his life by the look of things!!!
  • Options
    There is a 'distance statement' on the website (http://www.hullmarathon.com/index.php/event-merchandise) which gives some more details, although I am not convinced by it. This is part of it.

Following the final risk assessment ahead of the race a change was made to the route to protect the safety of runners, this change was both unavoidable and none negotiable. A further minor adjustment to the course was then made to ensure the correct distance of 26.2 miles was completed by all runners.

Why am I dubious?  It hasn't been mentioned before, and is only being offered as a reason now they have been found out.  Any clue as to where the extra was? No conspiracy, just cock up.  How do we ensure that we have a Hull marathon next year, and this company is not involved?

Fwiw I have only ever measured races as long on a garmin, never spot on or short, but understand why garmins are inaccurate,  I got 26.02 (see here http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=5263688) and I knew from my pace i was touch and go for sub 3, bit surprised to get 2:57!
  • Options

That 'distance statement' takes the biscuit.

I'm not surprised the changes were non-negotiable....nobody knew about them so how would they be able to 'negotiate' them? And I suspect that includes Karl Jackson.

There seems to be an attempt to 'back fill' a story to try to justify what happened. The most logical reason for the changes was simply a cock up due to a) not having enough marshalls and b) not providing anything like adequate instructions to those marshalls that did turn out.

When I said to him mid afternoon that I didnt fancy being in his shoes re the 1st Lady situation he said that if that turned out to be all that he had to worry about he'd have had a good day. Perhaps he knew what was coming.........

• Options

If they were so worried about public safety, perhaps they could have ensured that marshals were in place at dangerous junctions BEFORE the runners went through. Not only did they not stick to the Certificate of Accuracy and measured course, but they also didn't stick to what they had promised in the Risk Assessment.

Perhaps runners would have a case to demand a refund because of Breach of Contract? 

• Options
    I've read the Distance statement. What a crock! What sort of safety concerns could they be talking about since the bit removed was a loop within Pickering Park, surely one of the safest parts of the course! I quote from their own course description; "A short and scenic diversion then takes runners around Pickering Park, a pleasant and serene city park" I agree with Hilly, they should have told people as soon as a decision was made to change the course "to protect the safety of runners", but actually I think they just laid it out wrong, and then tried to cover it up, and this distance statement is just the latest CYA attempt. Its just sad. Possibly if they hadn't screwed up the ladies' race by sending a bunch of people the wrong way the other route change might not have come to light.
  • Options

When you consider that Hilly has been deprived of a UK No.1 ranking, hasnt received her promised 'prize and trophy' and isnt even listed as the winner of the race (whatever the distance) you have to wonder just what a legal mind would make of this.

• Options

I had no part in this race. Just wanted to express my sympathies to all of you who must have worked so hard to achieve your goals, only to be shafted by the organiser.

It is an utter disgrace and i hope this company and those responsible are never involved in an event again

• Options
    I think it's time to go to the press etc on this one?? Put them under pressure ??? I'm sure look north would be delighted to run the story as would radio humberside. This might get him under enough pressure to cough up
  • Options

I agree Chris.  Also time to involve the sponsors, who seem to be a high class jewellers in the city centre.  I'm sure the `Hugh Rice Jewellers Hull Marathon' could do without the bad press associated with their name,

Drifter - my view is that the time is now ideal for local clubs to approach the council with a view to staging the event on the same terms as this one, but with exemplary organisation.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Drifter, we reckon 300m at most it was short, but that's still short!  We measured all the bits added on and the park loop and without being totally accurate it was about that. 

It's the lies that get me! 

I feel especially sorry for all those runners who did this as their first marathon, got a pb or a qualifying time for London! 

• Options
    I think Chris is right. Time to put some pressure on them with the press.
  • Options
    Get Peter Levy on the case image

He'll sort it out!
  • Options
    I look forward to the fuller report....
  • Options
    There is a meeting of UKA Regional Licencing Committee today. Hopefully, further information will come out of this meeting.
  • Options

Peter - if you hear anything through your local knowledge, could you share it with interested parties from out of the area?

I fully agree with the refund point.  This was to have been Hilly and I's only marathon this year, and I thought `job done' for the sub 2:45 qualifying time.  Even had the extra 300-400m been included I would still have been inside that but now it's gone.  We've had to enter an autumn marathon in order to try and get a legitimate time.  Fortunately it looks like a good one with further incentives for runners of a decent standard.  However, it's still £80 between us plus travel / accomodation etc.

I have heard that some runners who were denied legitimate times through the 2008 Blackpool Marathon being short were allowed to enter the VLM championship as their times were far enough inside to indicate they would have probably broken 2:45.  I hope that is the case again...

• Options
    I'll share anything I think is relevant on this site, but would be much better if Karl Jackson came out of his "Walter Mitty" world and came clean, and told everyone what went wrong, and why it went wrong. It has to be remembered that runners paid in about £50,000 in entry fees (based on Karl's figure of 1400 entries) plus he had several supporters and sponsors putting money into the event. When we are talking those sorts of money, it is about time Mr Jackson came clean, before accusations of criminal fraud are directed at him, in addition to the current accusations of incompetence.