Options

Hull Marathon, 1st Female!!

1234568»

Comments

• Options

This is on another forum, another event cancelled before it takes place. they still remain positive about there other events, apparetnly toro had a nice holiday in america after the hull marathon fiasco, hope everyone got there prizes and awards!!

It's with great regret that we have to announce the cancellation of the Valhalla Triathlon which was scheduled to take place on Sunday 10th of June 2012.

Unfortunately we have not been able to resolve several issues with the event, including a water safety concern which has recently been brought to our attention. Competitor safety has to be the highest priority at every event, and while we are very disappointed at not being able to deliver the planned race we would be neglecting our duty of care to you, the athlete, and to our event crew if we were to ignore the highlighted issues and let the event go ahead.

We have been working relentlessly to investigate every avenue which could resolve the issues and the safety concerns and keep the event alive, which is why the cancellation has been such short notice.

We know you've been training hard in preparation for this event and understand the frustration and disappointment this announcement will cause, particularly with the short notice of the announcement and offer our sincere apologies.

You will of course receive a full refund of your entry fee, just drop us an email to events@torocsc.com confirming your name and preference for bank transfer or cheque and we will process it in the next 14 days. If however you were planning on racing at any of our other events and haven't yet entered we will be happy to transfer your entry. 1 x Valhalla entry = 2 x Alternative Toro CSC event entries. Please email and advise is this is your preference.

As a gesture of good will for the inconvenience we would like to offer you an additional 50% discount off the entry fee of any Toro CSC event in 2013 / 2014.

We remain committed to our mission of developing and promoting triathlon and participation in sport in the area, and look forward to seeing many of you at our established Gold Rush Triathlon Series or Hell on The Humber.

Once again please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment of the cancellation.

Kind Regards,

Karl

Toro CSC Events
    events@torocsc.com

• Options

I am sure they will pull out all the stops for the Hell on the Humber...

• Options

DD 25 I think they are presuming that everyone has fogotten about the Hull Marathon.

• Options
    Speaking as a running newbie, this sort of fiasco is why VLM referred to as The Marathon on threads on here - I for one would not be willing to enter an "unknown" marathon and risk this sort of mess. At least (for all the risks of not getting a place at all) entering the VLM doesn't expose entrants to this.

Can I ask, does anyone know what is UK Athletics (I assume one can't just print posters and 'organise' a marathon, where's the accreditation?) doing about this? I wouldn't organise a holiday without ABTA and/or ATOL. Enterring a marathon's a lot more commitment than a holiday...
  • Options
    Cancelling events is pretty unforgiveable. It confirms that events are just another product and/or revenue stream. Not major challenges in peoples lives or responses to major emotions, tributes to that dead relative or opportunities to raise thousands for your chosen charity.

Having witnessed the madness at Manchester, which was predictable. Before the event I was uncomfortable that I had to come to these forum to get answers on the basics beforehand... many posters were helpful and positive and as it turned out uncritical and sadly wrong.

In future, I shall be very warey of events companies with flash websites, no direct contacts, ridiculous logistics (collect your number the day before!) and exorbitant charges.

I have done some great events organised by some fantastic individuals who do it because of thier love of running and thier commitment to us the running community. Rod Berry, Langdale. Ian Milne, SWhite Peaks, Doug Morris, Vyrnwy ALL BRILLIANT.

Unfortunately times are changing and integrity no longer means what it did.

KK
  • Options

Events dont actually have to be ran in conjunction with UKA, there are no official accreditations to have in order to run a race. Lets face it you would almost certainly have an experienced team and the relevant event insurances, and in reality to make the event official you would want UKA on board.

Organising races is a big job and in most cases full time, the local clubs run fantastic races and not for profit. When a company steps up and tries to run an event who actually work full time as event organisors people expect a very good race, and nothing but perfection is good enough, this is there business and this is what they are professionals in. so expectations are very high Hull Marathon Failed on many counts and nothing to do with the will of the local clubs and runners wanting to have a great event in the city. Hopefully 2013 will see a new Hull Marathon and hopefully it will eradicate any bad press that the last shambles brought to Hull.

• Options
    I have only come at this thread recently, and commented only because of the wider issue of events companies moving in on organising running events. They'll be after fell runners next, lol.

However, Jane Thompson 13 you seem very knowledgable about this event... more than just that your sister ran the event (see your first post on this thread). You mention events organisers, the certification of the route and 2013 you talk of incompetence and quote another website.

Woiuld you please clarify your angle and who you work for.
  • Options
    "My sister ran this shambles of an event yesterday.

I must say in all the events I have been to and been a spectator at this one was the worst with regards lack of information, and a properley signed and fenced off route."

Is the picture on your posts, you, your sister or just some random?
  • Options
    I found your review of the event fascinating, surprised you have not felt the need to review other events that you have not done.
  • Options
    Jane Thompson 13 "this is there business and this is what they are professionals in." I did not know that events organiser was a profession. I guess if one organised an event for professionals, then one could call oneself a professional events organiser. Is there an HEI providing graduate qualifications in events management, is there on going research (action or otherwise) into events organisation. Is it an arts or science (BA, MSc?)

"Professional" as in (apologies bin-man) professional refuse collector.
  • Options
    Hell on the Humber was a great event last year, couldn't fault it, will be doing it again this year
  • Options

Jane - I agree, I did HOTH last year but ToroCSC won't be getting another penny off me for anything. King Kong sounds like he has some interest with the company. They are a professional events company KK, it is their job, their profession to do this properly. They made a pigs ear of the Hull marathon and have disappeared without letting THEIR customers know what happened or addressing any problems in public. Along with about £40k + in entry fees. Now another of their events has been cancelled at short notice. Apparently safety is only a concern 1 week before the event, and hasn't been noticed in the 6 months they've been taking £55 off people to do it. Did anyone get a response from them at all about Hull ?

• Options
    DD26 not to be confused with DD25, as I wasn't born yesterday, (unlike DD26 & DD25) I have not been taken in. If you read what I wrote, then you will see I challenge the whole notion of professional events organisers and all those involved in the recent screw ups. I am not constantly naming a particular (here today, soon to be rebranded?) company as being at fault. I have no blame to divert. Jane Thompson 13 I repeat the question: "Would you please clarify your angle and who you work for?"
  • Options

I know that the first three men and first woman (who actually completed the full course as set out on the day) all received their cash / voucher prizes.  So did the first V40 outside the top three.  However the first woman has still not received her trophy which was being `prepared' back in mid-April.  I do not know if any other female prizes were handed out after the cock-up on the day.

The category winners have also heard nothing about the free entry to next year's Hull Marathon that they were promised.

I would be very surprised if Hell on the Humber happened this year.  It strikes me that Mr Toro has gone to ground and would not want to be present at a race at the moment as it is still only two months since the Hull Marathon.

• Options

Yes you've really stumbled on seomthing there KK, or maybe this site won't let me confirm my account so have had to change the name slightly. Whoever you are and whatever your motive is towards this shambles of an event company, you are way off the mark. They are a disgrace and won't even attempt to speak about the issues to their PAYING customers. If you bought a car and didn't get what you expected, what would you do ? ? is selling cars a profession ? I really don't get your point, I don't think you actually have one, and you seem to be in a minority on here.

• Options
    Just answer the question.
  • Options

Does anyone know anything about the triathlon Toro CSC have organised for this coming Sunday 24th June at David Lloyd. It's called the Athena Sprint triathlon and I signed up months ago as my first attempt at triathlon and I can't begin to tell you how disapointed I've been with their lack of communication. Especially in view of the fact they say it's a good event for novices. The event is less than a week away and I can't get in touch with anyone and have heard nothing. I need to know what time it starts at. Can anyone shed any light??

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Toro CSC don't seem to be the brightest light in the street do they?

Commercial events really need to up their game.

• Options

Hi Nadia,

As a newcomer to the forums, let me tell you not to worry, you can find out about all kinds of events using events section above.  Also try the British Trialthlon Federation website. 

Enjoy your training.

Are you involved with a charity?  If not I would suggest you contact the fundraising plus coordinator at Humber All Nations Alliance 01482 491177, I believe she is a keen runner.

• Options

How strange!

I sent you a message to welcome you after you're first post.  For some reason it was returned, even though your message me option is on.  I wonder why that is?