new running shoes!

Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
I have always run in asics shoes as i find them to be perfect but when i have bought them in the past it was based on how they felt on my feet. A few days ago i decided to get my gait analysed so i could get the shoe that best fits my running style and foot! I always thought i over pronate but the test showed i was neutral so i bought a pair of asics Landreths, which felt good on my feet and when i tested them in the shop on the treadmill. I have has 2 days of running in them and something doesn't feel right.. it feels and sounds like i am flopping my toes down, almost like i was running very flat footed. could this just be down to the fact they are new shoes and and different from what i am used to or have i got the wrong amount of support?
my old shoes are asics virage

Comments

• I'm not a running shoe fitter, so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt. But...

If your old shoes were support shoes for over pronation, you may have been running slightly flat footed without realising it, as the shoe would correct this. In your new shoes, you're continuing to run the same way, but as the shoes don't offer the same support, you're now aware of the flat-footedness. Gait analysis shows how you run for a few minutes when you're fresh, not how you run after a couple of hours when you're tired and your legs are all over the place. So for a quick try-out the shoes feel fine, but on longer runs they don't, as you get more tired and start slapping your feet down...

If the gait analysis was done correctly, my assumption would be that the shoes are okay for you but will feel odd for a while as they don't have the (un-needed) support that you're used to having. Perhaps wear them just on shorter runs for a few weeks, to start utilising the muscles in your feet which can now work in place of the support in the old shoes.

It might be a bit like when people change from cushioned running shoes to 'barefoot' style shoes - they can't just put them on and keep running the same distances they've been doing previously. They have to start off with just walks then short jogs to gradually accustom their feet to a new way of running.

And after all that rambling, I'd also add that there is also the chance that the shoes are just wrong for you! image

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    all what you have said makes sense. i am so aware of my feet hitting the ground that i cant concentrate on my running. I might go get a second opinion on my gait and whether i am neutral or i over pronate. What worries me is i have a marathon in 7 weeks and i dont want to start changing the way my feet are so close to the race. I'll do a few more slow and steady runs and see if things improve!