Speed or Distance ?

All

Many years ago was really into my running and done dozens of halves PB 1:35 and 12 marathons PB 3:42

That was about 5 years ago and now really am trying to get back into it and eventually get fit for a crack at another marathon (at least 2 years away when I will be 56)

Am running 3 miles at present at around 10:30 pace. Do you think its better to keep at 3 miles and try to get my time down to around 8:30 per mile and then increase distance or just concentrate on distance and time on my feet at the moment

Never been any good at interval traing or speed training which is why I never quite reached the holly grail of 3:30. IF I can get in shape to do another marathon would really want to get under 4 hours

Comments

• I'd shoot for time on feet, which will give your muscles, tendons and bones the best opportunity to be ready for the stresses which will come with faster running. I'd also read some running books and try to have a more structured approach to training if you are serius about your running goals.

Good luck.

• Agree 100% with Tricky Dicky. After a 5 year break you definitely need to build up "time on your feet" before adding speedwork as otherwise you'll run a very high risk of getting injured.

Try to gradually increase the duration and number of your weekly runs, ideally following one of the many online plans available for "beginners" (and after a 5 year break, that's effectively what you are).

It's good that you're being patient with your marathon target and there's no reason at all why you can't get back into sub- 4 hour shape. The most important thing is staying free of injury.
  • Cheers guys

Yes thats the way I will go - at present doing 3 is about my limit without causing possible injury - got to face it 5 years out is a long time !!