Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

Comments

• Well Goofy training has officially started. 1st decent back to back longish runs completed. I know it wasn't exactly a marathon but mustered 8.4 miles tonight on top of my 12 from yesterday. Actually felt a bit better tonight than yesterday (possibly because the bit of carnoustie that has the lions share of streetlights is pancake flat!!!). Working on the principle that by jan I should be able to run a half followed by a half. After than it is pure survival to the finish and really unknown territory.
  • Caniggia - you will be fine. I am just thinking of the marathon of lots of little runs between stopping for pictures with characters!!

• Hi marty.

You are a new face. Nice of you to join us image
  • Hi Marty   What are you entered in  ??   

16 miler coming up this weekend for me.  Thats a BIG run for me so Im psyching myself up for it already.  

Obviously C33 you are well ahead of the game with all your running exploits( you may get a job as our resident pro at this rateimage)  but how is everyone elses training going  ??

• I ran 7.5 yesterday and the legs seem to be bearing up after Venice so I think I may try a mini-Goofy of 5 and 10 at the weekend. Just a bit fearful of doing too much too soon after Venice and setting myself back. I've never done 2 marathons so close together before so it's new territory for me. image

• Good stuff GG - took me weeks to get going again after doing the Goofy so you managing to run after Venice gets a well done from me.image   

• Thanks, MM. I couldn't walk for a week after my first and took about 5 months off because my running was so bad after it, so at least my legs seem to be getting stronger - just wish they would get a bit faster!

Good luck with the 16M this weekend.image

• Ha ha resident pro. You obviously have no idea of how well I can train and how spectacularly wrong I can get things on race day lol

Goofy just take it easy you don't want to pick up injuries by doing too much too soon and your legs will feel a bit heavy for a while. Leave the watch and/or GPS at home for a wee while and just have a bit of fun.

Enjoy your 16 miler minnie!!!!

What a relief obama won the election and we won't be going to a country at war with china and iran in january. Thank god that america has a lot of black and hispanic people who all vote for obama and are obviously less stupid than the white americans who would have elected romney image
  • C33 - correct re the heavy legs. Ever thought about being a personal trainer?!? image

• Got this courtesy of some of our american friends on runners world yankydoodledandy version.  Thought you might like it. image

http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL12007TY

• Cheers for the Map C33 - being an anorak I found it really interesting.  

When we trained last year we didnt do any back to back runs but found on the Sunday that the legs were on the way out by mile 14.  This could have been becuase our milage overall was woefully inadequate (trying to rectify this year) but are you guys doing any long back to backs  in  preparation ?

• Yes. 5 and 11 this weekend (can't face the original 10 mile route as it reminds me of the 18-22 mile nightmares in the Venice training so I have changed route which adds a mile onto the original 10!) and increasing the mileage on those back-to-backs up to Christmas, e.g. 7 and 15, 9 and 16, etc.

Not sure if it is the right thing to do, but it gives me peace of mind that I can run reasonably long distances 2 days in a row.

• Was going to mix up my back to backs as I really don't want to end up injured. If I run longer 1st day I will go shorter the next. Don't think I'd go beyond 23-24 together across the two runs with a really long one on its tod somewhere in the mix. If I run 12 on sat wouldn't go past 10-12 the next. If I ran 4 on a sat night I'd maybe try 18 or so on the sunday. Not sure if that's the right thing to do but trying to run 26 or more will just end up in pain or complete meltdown in run up to christmas!!!!
  • I made it up to 11 and 20 last year. But I'm a firm believer in listening to your body so if the back-to-backs get too painful I'll reel them in a little.

I think my strategy will be to try and run a fast (for me!) half and enjoy the marathon with the photo opportunities, etc. Previously I have held back on the half as I've wanted to get round the marathon as best as I can too but mentally I'm going to find the marathon tough this time so soon after Venice and I want to get some photos/videos as this is probably my last Disney run. image

Wow - this is getting serious for me - usually I'm mentally partying big-style in the run up to Disney and just hoping for the best in the runs - does this mean I am a 'real' runner now??? imageimage

• Goofy we are all real runners if we do marathons
  • I was having that discussion the other day. In a strange kind of way, finishing a marathon doesn't seem to be the MASSIVE thing it once was to me. I remember thinking not so long ago that I could NEVER even contemplate running 26.2 miles - and now as soon as I've finished one I start thinking about the next one. Don't get me wrong - it is still incredibly, incredibly tough for me to do (I'm not a natural runner by any means) - but I just accept that that's what I try to do now. I wondered if that was the change to being a 'serious' or 'dedicated' runner (whatever that is)???image

Far too much thinking for a Friday afternoon.....image

• Goofy yep to deep for Friday. Have to say would not just go out to do Marathon would want to do GOOFY
  • Think you must be a REAL, SERIOUS runner then.image

(Or some people may have different adjectives for us.......image)

• No use running as away to get away from reality and to get rid of all the days woes with a run on an evening and on a Sunday before working week starts. Nothing better than being on own running along thinking all good things. Serious runner not me - but like to try and better myself

• Not exactly sure why I do it. image I'm not fast and I find it hard - I just enjoy it.

(Bet you try and forget the FRSs, UK GAAP, credit terms, etc. on your runs...image)

• Luckily I forgot about them years ago when I became an FD with a small family firm where I really don't need to bother about them anymore. Just got to worry about the Inland Revenue and how to get the better of them (legally of course)
  • Yep, new face but have been reading posts so thought it time i said hello.

Ran the goofy last year so of course had to go back and run again. Last year ran the half slow and enjoyed the characters but raced the full since needed a qualifying time for Comrades. So this year, doing it the other way round, racing the half and checking out the characters in the full. Much more time to play, especially through the fun at mile 20...

And can say that the back to backs, no matter how many miles you do are great for building up the confidence to run on heavy legs. It does get easy with time, honest!!

• Wish I could believe it Marty ! I'm Still very much a newbie having only done the full distance once - goofying last January! It is strangely addictive though isn't it and I couldn't resist trying again. A bit like pressing a bruise to check if it still hurts. Lol
  • I know what you mean about marathons Goofy.  I only ever intended to run one and that was my lot and was quite happy to say never again it was just too far.  The problem is that once you have completed a marathon halfs and 10ks just don't seem to mean as much as they did in the past.  I'd love to say I get a great buzz out of running them and I love it but if truth be told I'm much better at 10ks and halfs, marathons hurt, I've ran a lot of crap ones and the rewards for the training you put in if you stuff it up time and again is fairly minimal.  When you do get it right though it is like no other feeling in the world!!!!!

The problem is when I tried to give up last year and had just had eneough of just getting worse and worse I had next to feck all else going on in my life.  That is really the only thing I did other than work and was also the reason I went on my hols to so many fab places.  I need something to look forward to and aim towards and a bit of fun in my life from time to times.  Running can give me that a lot of times before shooting me over the edge to the depths of post marathon depression when I stuff it up at the end.  I think I may be suffering the runners equavalent of manic depression. image

Did you get your qualifying time and do the comrades marty??? Not often you find someone that likes ultras that also wants to do goofy. Normally ultra runners are the weirdy beardy types who hate the big city marathons and would be properly appauled by the prospect of running around disneyworld lol image

• Hi Marty. How did your Goofy marathon time compare to your norm, when doing your Comrades time. I'm doing the up race this year and looking for a qualifier...what do you think? Ta
  • I just like to see a bit of the world and run in some cool places. Disney certainly ticks all of those boxes and then some!! Goofy just fitted in rather nicely at the start of the year with all the training that was needed for Comrades. I just needed a quick time to get in the correct pen at the start for Comrades and with it being flat this seemed ideal. Completed my second Comrades this year so can now put that race to bed having run it in both directions.

STFC - its certainly a quick course since its so flat. Plus with all the characters and support at various places you always have something to look at. The pacers were excellent as well and probably the best i have seen at a race. I fell off the 3.25 pacer at about 20 miles last year but having run the half the day before, no surprise really. But it ended up as one of my quickest marathons. But in terms of qualifying for Comrades, i don't think the pens are as critical this year since the start is in Durban on a huge dual carriageway.

• Interesting. Everyone I speak to who has done London insists that Disney could not beat London for organisation and atmosphere. Yet everyone who has done Disney has nothing but good things to say.image

Guess it's just what each individual likes........

(Personally I can't see how London could even get close to Disney........image)

• Thanks Marty. That is very helpful and congratulations on your back to back Comrades :0)
  • Ha ha tried a half goofy this weekend. Ran six and a bitty last after work and 13 on the dreadmill today as I felt like I may have needed the stop button to rescue me!!!! Only need to be able to double what I did last night and double what I did today to get my Disney bling. Simples image

Well it would be simples if it hadn't been the longest 13 miles I've had in a long time. In theory 19.5 miles in total should be easier if you have a 17 hour break mid run than running 19.5 in one sitting. For some reason it really didn't feel that way image
  • Well done, C33. Especially so soon after Munich!

MM - How did the 16M go? Hope it was ok.

Well, the Wine and Dine is done - so judging by previous years (and more so this year for the 20th celebrations) I am expecting a flurry of Run Disney posts about the marathon weekend from now until the races! imageimage