Options

Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Pen A for me as well, but dont think i will start there for the marathon as want to chill out and enjoy it more. Will be there for the half though and aim to run round nice and easy.

Just done a confidence boosting quick 5 miler with a slow and easy 20 planned for tomorrow.

What with christmas over a wekk away and then disney soon thereafter, getting soooo excited nowimage

• Options

After 2 hrs 10 mins on the treadmill the boredom was driving me crazy image, so went onto the bike so that I could watch TV whilst pedalling for the last 50 mins. 3 hrs exercise done - would have been better if I could have run outside but juggling Xmas activities for 2 boys whilst training is not ideal.image Santa run for them tomorrow - good training for the Mickey Mile and 5K.image

• Options

Working today, so no run today, got a 10km santa fun run scheduled in tomorrow morning, should be fun with every runner dressed as santa imageimageimage

day off wednesday, so might try a long-ish one then, 15+ see how I feel, lol

Another one for corral A image

• Options

Well, 21 miles today, 12 yesterday and 10 the day before - I think I might have a chance at this Goofy thing image   Total for the week was 60 miles.

• Options

image Good job I'm running for fun given the very impressive corrals and miles above! image

• Options
    Gutted.. bailed on my longt run today due to leg pains. GG I might be walking for fun at this rate !! Oh well will get lots if photos lol
  • Options
    Hells bells daniirr that's a lot of miles. Not just 2 days of serious running but 3. I think you will prob be the 1st of this bunch of goofy challengers home with running like that.

That's a real shame minnie. Unfortunately ITB is one of those injuries I have been almost unable to run with. I always had a limit of 12 miles then it would just appear from nowhere. If I was you I would have a long taper, lots of stretching exercises, give the half absolute death and fiddle about in the full. At least then you will have one good run. I'd hate to take it easy on the half and go ping after 10 miles of the full.

Managed 20 miles in the real world rather than on the dreadmill. God that was tough. Could I please take a treadmill, sit under the arch of cinderella's castle and run there for 39.3 miles it would be soooooo much easier especially of you would leave it in the shade as I'm rank in the sunshine!!!
  • Options

oh dear MM, like C33 says, long taper time image .... you can only gain 2 things in the last few weeks before a long race, a tiny bit of conditioning or injuries. I think you've done the mileage already, rest, rolling and a few shorters runs should see you right. Then hopefully have a good Disney with lots of photo ops image

Fun in the sun for me today, 10k run dressed as santa image boy was it hot by the end though, lol, trousers, jacket, hat n beard, not the recommended running apparel!! Plus the half mile across the deep shingle beach was a good workout... think I'll stick to running on tarmac for a while image

• Options

No speed records for me at Disney.  I'm running with a friend at her pace, so probably a 5 hr marathon (my PB is 3.55) - but I intend to enjoy it and have lots of fun, and use it as a nice long training run for the Paris marathon a few months later image

• Options

MM - I think I agree with everything C33 said. I had 'proper' IT pain once when I first started running and didn't know what I was doing. I could hardly put one foot in front of the other by the end of a 10k, so you have my sympathy.image Fortunately the foam roller has kept it at bay since then. I'm not as fit as I would have liked to have been for the marathon but I think most people are going to just have fun round the course with this year being the 20th so we'll both fit in just fine, I'm sure. image Hope the taper gives the IT some rest - you never know, it may just disappear with a bit of Disney magic and you'll storm the Goofy! image

• Options
    I tried to use a foam roller last year. It didn't really help the injury but I got my garden fence painted in jig time with it!!! image
  • Options

C33  - you should be on the stage ! image  

Thanks for the support everyone - I was really upset but I'm now looking on the bright side. Ive no reason to feel guilty about watching films instead of doing a long run coming weekend - every cloud etc etc x

• Options

Sweeties, turkey and christmas pudding is classified as carb loading too minnie.  I'd avoid the mince pies though not because they are any worse for you than the things I've listed previously I just think they really ming!!!! image image

I don't think I have been as unprepared to run a marathon since I caught the chicken pox a fortnight before Boston.  Feel I'm only just starting my training and the race is almost here.  Had 4 and a bit miles giving it as much gas as I could muster tonight and I have to say I was blowing out my backside and any other orifice that could draw in oxygen.  Something tells me this is a BAD idea. image 

• Options

we will be fine c33 - as long as we can walk at 16 mins a mile and pose for a few piccys we will get our medals - cmon its ONLY 39 miles after all !!!!!

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EYVepDBAC0

Votes are in, counted and verified.... these are the lyrics and tune you need to memorise for marathon morning image

....not exactly my choice... but it is Disney!! image

• Options

Oh, what a surprise - time for the long runs and it is cold, windy and very rainy!!! image

Time for the treadmill - again! image

Another version of the marathon start song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwQZYkrvM-U

• Options

I apologise for arriving late onto the thread.

A question - do we receive anything by post prior to the event or do we have to collect stuff from the expo and if so do we get notification of it?

How easy is it to get spectators into the parks and do they have to pay the price of an admission?

Any advice would be welcome

• Options

Hi irregular.  You can download your waiver form and the official runners booklet from the Run Disney web site.  Then its just a matter of turing up at the Expo to collect all the goodies (times etc are on the web site).  As for spectators, they have to have a valid ticket to go into the parks but there are plenty of places to watch from, outside of the park areas.   A lot of people were in the Magic Kingdom Carpark, in the Animal Kingdom carpark and on the boardwalk cheering the runners on.

• Options

GG how was the run ? I admire you for sticking to the dreadmill for a long run - do you watch TV or something to take your mind off the boredom ?

• Options
    Spectators don't need a ticket if they want to watch you from inside the Magic Kingdom Park, but they will need to purchase one if they want to watch you from within any of the other parks.

I don't think you get anything by post - all at the Expo.
  • Options

Thanks Dannirr

You may see me there - I will be wearing my 100 Marathon vest

• Options

MM - well, it was a slow but sure 2 hrs on the treadmill. I don't want to do anything now to injure myself or do anything daft - I'm not going for PBs or anything like that - so as long as I can call it a 'run' I do things slowly now. Got to try and make sure I make it to and round 39.3 miles and get the medals! image

I am so glad you asked today what I do whilst on the treadmill - I LISTENED TO 'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DISNEY' - FOR 2 HOURS!!! imageimageimageimage

• Options

MM - how is the IT now - any better?

• Options
    Thanks for asking . I've not really tested it. It was pretty uncomfortable on Sunday so Ive only done one 2 miler with the dog this week. I'm not going to push it now. It's just not worth it.
  • Options
    I'm starting to visualize Mick waffles ....
  • Options

MM and C33 - just remember as well that all the waves start at different times. So the nearer you are to the front the more time you have during the race. I think the 16 min mile pace is the cut off for the last group. At least from memory last year i think i saw a couple of guys on bikes at the back as i ran past the start again. At least we dont have to do that this year....

• Options
    Not quite the same but my daughter just made Mickie/Minnie gingerbread men for Christmas
  • Options

Last 20 done - let the taper begin!