Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

Comments

• Me too - image We are going to take the marathon a bit more seriously this time.  It was our first last full year as part of the Goofy and we stopped for lots of photos etc.  Will be interesting what difference it makes to our time.  

• We've got a bit of debate going on about this. Hubby wants to race the half and then stop for photos and everything in marathon.

I think I want to do my best in both - but if it is very special due to the 20th celebrations I may just go with the celebrations and take my time enjoying them.image

We're doing the 5K too so that may have a bearing on how the legs feel for the marathon.image

• P.S. Not sure if anyone is as 'enthusiastic' about these things as I am, but there are some great new runDisney running tops for the half, full and Goofy.

• You lot are making me so jealous that I am not running in January. However my daughter who is 22 (who like you lot what she doesn't know about Disney is not worth knowing) has always wanted me to do Marathon. My wife who is not so keen for me to do it on grounds it may spoil rest of time out there thought she was being clever by saying to daughter if she got herself trained up to do 1/2 marathon then I could do Marathon - stupid thing for her to say - my daughter might not be a runner but she does go to gym alot and took up challenge and we will be there in 2014 with me doing Goofy so I can run with her in 1/2 and do Marathon myself.

• BP - great news! image

Pity you can't make it for the 20th celebrations. I wasn't going to do it in 2013 on the grounds that we have to sacrifice a lot during the year to afford to make Disney the holiday we would like - but the hype over the 20th took hold - as did my hand of the credit card as a result! image image

I have the same agreement with my sons - who LOVE the Disney holidays and runs - we will only go back after 2013 if they are doing the half.

• GG - We have been 4 times from when the oldest was 10 (now 22) and youngest was 8 (now 20) and we are going again in 4 weeks (still paying for them that can't be right) and this supposed to be last time. I think that is why daughter is going to do run so she can get there again with us. This time is very much doing all the things we have not done before and hell to the cost.

• I did this in 2009 and am considering doing it again in 2013, subject to work commitments and it not selling out before I can resolve them.

It is the best organised race I have ever done and the atmosphere is amazing far better than London Marathon. I have the Disney Marathon logo tattooed on my right calf to match the ironman one on my left . Tried putting pics up but file size is too small.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1185923765179&set=a.1090701264676.15281.1140830867&type=3&theater

Should be a link to fb photo

• Thats cool - My hubby has mickey ears with a running man and 39.3 written in it on his calf.  I was tempted (somewhere more discrete) but chickened out.

• Wow, I didn't even know something like this exists. 

• BP - brilliant! Hope my two still want to do Disney with us when they reach 20!

Have a great time in 4 weeks! image

JP - I have an ongoing debate with a running friend as to which is the best - Disney or the London Marathon - he has done London and I have done Disney - you have just settled the debate! image

• AP2- go check out the videos on you tube.  If you are a fan of the Mouse you will see the attraction. imageimageimage

• If you want photos do the marathon there are 17 characters around the marathon course including 2 Mickeys  (golf course and Animal Kingdom) Still hoping to get over for the Goofy in Jan just need to short a few things out and may only be there for a 5 days !!

• Medal details won't be released until the first day of the weekend They did the same with the 15th medal kept it under wraps till the expo.

• There are NOT two mickeys tisk tisk.  There is one and he gets on the monorail and heads further along the course once all the runners have passed him.  Where is the report to moderator button that is the most shocking thing I have read on these forums for many a year. image

I'm staying at the cheap and cheerful option of the all sports resort.  I know sports tours international normally have everybody staying there but I have just booked it myself directly to save a few pennies. (tight scotsman alert) image

Alice I can't wait for this I have been talking about it for ages and finally bit the bullet to enter.  After a very dark period in my running where I came close to giving up completely I have entered a kind of fantasy period with the next 3 on the list being Munich, Disney and London which i have finally qualified for after years of trying and copious ballot rejections.  By next April the must do list will be looking a lot shorter than it does at the moment. image

• Q for people who have stayed on site before - how to you manage your pre race nutrition ? Do the food courts put on special pasta dishes etc ? or do you just pick your way through the normal menu ?? 

• MM - there is usually a pasta dish on any menu at the Disney restaurants.

We get the Disney tickets when we book the hotel and hence receive the free dining plan. (It would cost us a fortune in food otherwise because my family (EXCLUDING me! image) are the type that eat a lot but are very skinny!) We then tend to go to the buffet restaurants before the races as they have lots of pasta and rice to choose from, along with fish, meats and eggs for protein and lots of fruit / vegetables (and yummy desserts image ).

We also tend to book villas now because it is easier the mornings of the races to put a coffee machine on and microwave some porridge. Although when we stayed at the Animal Kingdom (which was just a room) we managed ok as there was a kettle and fridge in the room so we still managed a (weak) coffee and cereal with milk.

Let me know if you need more info on the restaurants - I think we have covered most of them! image There is also lots of info on each restaurant on the Disney website, including menus and the ability to book 6 months in advance! 

• Cheers GG- I will keep an eye out for the free dining plan offer to come up.  No way we can afford to buy it.. Then I might well come back for some advice image

• Hmmmm......just had a look for you, MM. The offer which was on when we booked back in May doesn't seem to be on any more.image May be worth a call to Disney UK?

THE DONALD MEDAL HAS BEEN REVEALED! image

• And what is it like?????

Can't get onto the video at work or with my mobile!!!!!
  • Very much like last year but all gold and a bit rounder.

I don't think they have issued a separate photo of it yet so it can only be seen on the video for now.

• Sounds good the bigger and blingier the better image
  • Disney do bigger and blingier better than any other race, I think! image 

• Wow just seen the proper piccy on facebook and it is just awesome. I don't know if I can wait until january to get my mickey mits on it. image

Good work Donald image

Mickey and goofy the pressure is on as the duck has done good. image
  • I like it - wasnt too keen on the enamelled one this year - Gold is much nicer

• image Sounds like Mickey's will be revealed soon.

• Ooooo.......the Mickey medal is different to what they have had previously......can't make my mind up on it yet......image

• I like that its different. I just hope the quality is going to be as good as the previous ones. 

• Where have you got a sneak preview of this????? image