London Marathon change of start!!

I just got the letter from the organisers about them having to move the start to Richmond Park due to the building works in docklands for the olympics.

Oh no!!

I looked on a map - richmond park is MILES away from greenwich park. This really screws up my plans!! Also the revised route from the enclosed map looks a lot hillier.

Surely they could have let us know a bit sooner?! Such a big change just 1 week out is criminal!!

Comments

• I am staying on the Strand, close to the finish line. Public transport to greenwich was easy. Richmond looks like much more of a journey.

Oh well, as long as they don't make the run any longer than 26 miles!!!
  • Am i reading the letter right? You now have to go BACK to richmond after the finish to pick up your after-race clothes! I thiught they were moved to the finish? Help!! Can anybody confirm, i'm starting to panic now!
  • CO

I've got the same letter!

Do you know if there is a good kebab shop near Richmond ?  I always have a chicken kebab a few hours before my long run.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking I might camp on Richmond Park on Saturday night.
  • My hotel booking came as part of a travel package.

Am i the only one angry about this? It's very lare notice, surely?
  • It's a load of nonsense!
    The start locations are nowhere near the Olympic park and the finish, again, is even further away from the Docklands/Olympic area.
    This is some turd with no life 'doing some mischief' - don't be taken in by this kind of C**P!! You should be enjoying your taper and looking forward to next Sunday image
  • I'm pretty sure it's official? Contains my race number and comes from marathon hq?
  • I'm soooo tempted to be really harsh with my reply, but it's a Sunday so I'll be gentle!
    The organisers don't send out race numbers for London! The expo, from next Wednesday, is the only place you can pick up your race pack (which I'm sure you know) Go to the Virgin Marathon website and type in 'Finish Line'
    The letter you have received is recyclable, I'd suggest you do just that image
  • haha CO I think you have just been referred to as a " turd with no life" *snigger*
  • I got the same letter too!  Also due to asterity they are having to reduce the number of portaloos so they are asking the men to use the bushes where possible.
  • I heard that they've circulated a letter to local residents asking if they mind people using their front gardens.
  • Yep, front gardens for peeing, rear gardens for pooing image
  • It's a win-win, given the national drought state of emergency.

Actually there's a fertilser shortage expected this year too. Maybe squeezing one out in the middle of somebody's front lawn, should you need to, is the way forwards.
  • No shortage of a**holes though, myself included image
    Enjoy that sunshine folks.
  • Looks like we'll have to move the mile 17 support point from Mudchute then. Anyone told TP yet? I'm pretty sure the new route though is only 25.2 miles. Would be interesting to see what a garmin makes it out as.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    At least 28 miles as Garmins are never wrong.
  • My garmin says its 26.6 miles does any know if they are accurate with their measurements or round it up to finish in the Mall ?

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    I would suggest running the route and just stopping when your Garmin clocks 26.2. The sweep bus should drop you back off at the 'finish' right?
  • Candy - will be at Richmond next Sunday - if you say that's where to be then I'll be there! 

Luv,

Mad Old C~nt image

• I'm just going to leave my bag at the finish rather than at Richmond Park then. It says in my letter that the bomb squad doesn't work on a Sunday so any unattended bags will still be there when the race is over.
  • Thanks for letting me know, Mudchute will be moved, including the DLR statio and the Asda, to Regents Park. Will make a change to have real animals to look at rather than dressed up people.
  • Folks

Not to worry its been cancelled image

Something to do with Boris a ping pong bat  and a Chinese tourist

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Ooh great, Richmond Park is so much easier to get to! Can walk there. Brilliant. Round ours after instead of Chandos?
  • Excellent idea Womble, get plenty of beers in image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    For a second I started to get really worried until I realised that i'll be near Richmond Park anyway!