Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Just got mine too.

Also received VLM registration pack today, which is my insurance policy for this year.  All being well, I'll be deferring that to next year.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Man Up Liz Joiner!!!

I did. What a run - really struggled for the first half, and at 9 miles it was so cold and windy I sheltered in a public toilet to refuel! I tried clif bar cubes for the first time and they tasted ok.

Battled on while wondering whether to cut the run to 18 miles or less as I was feeling so sluggish.

Then at 14 miles my podcasts ran out, and I put some music on. What a transformation! I started flying home! Haven't plugged the Garmin in yet, but it started showing sub-10 for the first time!

I came home feeling fantastic! Probably the best long run I've ever had! Amazing the power of some uplifting music... image

Hope everyone gets a great last long run in over the next few days. image

• And despite it saying NO to earphones in the guide, lots were wearing them last year.

• Hi. Thanks for the advice I got on here. I did last of long runs yesterday - 20 miles in 4 hours- and the compression socks appear to work a treat. It was 3rd outing in them and recovering in them too and was so much better.

My number is a green 4567

I do not have particular pace structure to my training. Tends to be quicker pace for shorter runs but nothing else. Any recommendations as to how to complete the taper? Is it a good idea to try and do few faster paced efforts for the 5 milers?

Well done to all who have trained thro the awful weather. I have been reasonably lucky in the midlands. Hope we can all remain healthy and injury free for last few weeks. Hope those of you nursing injuuries are able to reach your goals too.
  • Runner number 301, colour white

• Have numbers been emailed through?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I had physiotherapy on my knee this morning.  The physio asked me about the marathons I'd done and what I had coming up.  When I told her I was running Brighton Marathon in a few weeks, she asked "will that be that your longest one?".  I respectfully pointed out that they were all the same length image 

• Neil, white? Are you super fast elite??

8357 - funny to get so excited by a number. Makes my legs aching today feel worthwhile.

Suddenly struck me travelling to work this morning, that I've not decided on what to wear. Goodness, hope the weather decides what to do so. Feel a new vest coming on.....

• No e-mail or number here image But on the plus side, legs feel okay after yesterday's long runimage Stomach muscles are sore though - weird!!

• Tenjiso - you shoudl just have agreed that Brighton is definitely the longest marathon image

Mark 22C this time last year??!!!! Wow!

GCE - no, I've not decided what to wear either. I'm not running for a charity so I actually have to make a decision! Also stick to the long tights, odd looking capris (when worn with compression socks) or go for it with my shorts???? Argh - too much to think about!

And so the taper madness begins...

• B&C, it's definitely three weeks of hysteria over normally worthless decisions!! I feel like taking the afternoon of working and going shopping for vests, just to celebrate receiving my number.

Final drinking session tonight, then dry until the big day....
  • Jelleybaby wrote (see)

Just another thought (need to go back to work seriously - too much thinking going on here!), is it useful to have an electrolyte drink as well as the Gatorade drinks that are provided on route? I do use High5 tabs but because I hate carrying bottles I was going to dilute one very strongly in a small bottle which I can attach to a belt and then make sure I drink at the drink stations. But, if the electrolyte content is enough in the Gatorade do I need to do this at all? Any thoughts much appreciated!

Jelleybaby - I don't know about Gatorade because I never drink any sports drinks but I think you're just going to have to have a look at the small print and see what it contains! I'm going to take High 5 isogels with me, which have the salts in already and use those, and just ignore the Gatorade. I'll take a High 5 tablet and have it in a bottle of water at the end, as I've found it helps stop the head aches I was getting after long runs.

• 12147 Red section for me - have to be near the back me thinks!

Thanks for the input re drinks everyone!

Still raining here.......

• Got my email; 139 White. Looks like I'll be starting with you Neil.

I need to have a serious think about hydration and food. I take nothing on for a half, and haven't been having anything in my training up to 20 miles. Obviously I'll need to take stuff on for Brighton and pre-empt the fuel shortage at the end. I think I'll be taking on Gatorade at each of their stations and a few of the Shot Bloks. Probably won't carry any food this year which will be a first.

• number 1583

colour RED

whoop!!

• GCE. White is the elite start, but I am shooting for 2:59:59, so not an elite time really...

• Lombster what time are you going for ?

I'm with you on the Gatorade stations, I might pack one tube of the Bloks as I have used these. I like to travel light !

• I am loving the excitement on this forum today image

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

My number is 4317, colour green.

Glad you got your run in, Liz.image

• 5307 - Red image

Black & Tabby - re what to wear, I actually do 'race day fashion shows' much to my husband's amusement!!!! image

• Neil, I'm aiming for the same time as you! My training is gearing up for 3 hours but it's definitely going to be close!
  • Tell me Neil Spicer. Have you run a marathon before or is this your first one?
  • I love the fact that other people are also indecided about what to wear! makes me feel vaguely normal.....image   compression socks with shorts - not sure; with capris yes - but will I be too hot??? Charity T shirt is a must...Green Oxfam one! Sunnies - will it be that sunny? Too much to pack if I'm not careful and only have hand luggage allowance.....

• One two one two red!!!!!!!

Outfits. Decide the night before depending on weather image

Good stuff Liz. David falconer do u mind if I give you a call Sunday morning before my last long runimage last long run sounds goooooood!!!!! image
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Top tip for you all. Clothing : Shoes, socks, shorts, vest.

Don't forget to attach your number to one of the items mentioned above.

You're welcome.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    MarkD wrote (see)
    Outfits. Decide the night before depending on weather image 

Ditto - plus I usually change my mind on the morning of the race image

I'll be packing enough potential race-day gear to fill the car boot before heading down image

• I like the sentiment that the weather MUST improve for the race...must admit there is a part of me thinking about skipping the long one this weekend - but then if I just sit home thinking about it for 3.5 hours I might as well just do it. Ridiculous that last year's "heat wave" was at this time. I do prefer cold to hot but fed up with the wind!

Hoping I might get my mojo back once I can look at my home email and hopefully have a race number waiting! Been reading the race guide today online and getting very excited.

Also don't know what to wear and will likely bring a couple of options with me!

• Sussex Runner

I ran London in 2010 but got tripped around mile 16, which led to a disater (lots of blood) I managed only a 3:49 finish...

I aim to put that right in Brighton image

• Good to see you have some experience Neil. You definitely have the quality but maybe lack experience. You need to be talking to the more seasoned sub 3 runners and taking some good advice. Good luck once again Neil.