Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Only 3:49? ahem. That was my finishing time last year.

• I'm 10363, in the PINK section. I tell you, my colour co-ordination is going to be shocking. It's looking like PINK number on a yellow charity bib (Marie Curie) on a black base layer. YIKES !!

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

The gels and shot-bloks are quite new to me. I think that the gels are much easier to take, and plan to take some with me as it looks like there is only one gel-station at mile 21. What are other people going to do?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Kathy - take whatever you've been using in training.  The race is not a time to experiment.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Thanks Tenjiso for your reply. Of course you are right. So I will have to make sure I bring enough Clif gels, that I have been busy getting used to in training.

• Sussex Runner

Thanks. I have trained properly this time, peak mileage 63 mies a week, better diet, more stretching, less booze.

I have my work cut out for a sub 3, but I can only give it my all...
  • Neil. Sussex runner is right. Have you looked in on the sub 3.15 and sub 3 forums great advice and interesting to see how some of these guys train. Especially the sub 3 hours. Some of those guys are scary quick! It's interesting reading for anyone who does marathons.

Kathy stick with what you know. Lots of people handing out treats around the courseimage
  • David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I dont like to brag, but I have a feeling it was my pep talk that tipped you over the edge to go outside today, so well done me!

Yes, it was all down to you, what a hero! image

Kathy, I usually just have jelly babies and lucozade, but today I took Clif bars and water to practise for the marathon. They were fine, in fact my average pace was 3 secs per mile faster than last week, although I'm not sure that was down to the clif bar! I've never been able to face a gel.

My number is 13492 and I'll be in BLUE. At the back if I've got any sense...

• Numbers in the post ? I was under the impression numbers would be picked up from the expo ?

• Have a quick flick back over the last posts Lofty and see if you can find anyone saying they got their number through the post.
  • Loftus Road Runner, yes, you pick up numbers from the expo, but i think they e mail you your number in advance....

All the excitement now makes me a very jealous girl...very tempted to enter again next year at this years expo if i manage to get down,   hotel all booked but the car cost me £278 and that wasnt even its mot which is booked for april 3rd oh and the tax is due end of this month...really hoping to get a money tree planted as i really want to come and cheer you all on and experience life on the other side of the brighton marathon experience as a non runner this year...i can have a guiness on the saturday night image instead of waiting until 1.30 sunday afternoon ..image

HAPPY TAPERING TO ALL STAY FIT AND HEALTHY

• I'm with you Yvonne this is all making me soooo jealous! You should do it next year so I have someone to keep me company on here image let me know if you manage to grow your money tree I was going to volunteer this year but couldn't afford the hotel I would need to have booked.

Thanks to everyone on here (but especially Toby poohbear and snow maiden) I have finally found my stride. I always wanted to do a marathon but thought it was beyond me. My running has improved muchly this year but more than that my attitude to it has had a vast improvement it's no longer a question if I will run its only ever a question of if I can fit in one more mile image thanks so much guys! I will be there next year pre registering at expo

Happy tapering and may you all have marathon of your dreams image
  • Kathy as everyone else has said use what you know on race day. I haven't been able to buy single cliff bar things so I'm just using my own food and then lucozade light with electrolyte tabs in it.

LRR email received today not in post.
  • Jelleybaby, I made a special trip to a local bike shop to buy Clif shots - they have a website with a shop locator, or you can buy them online - if you can be bothered!

Having used them today, I see they're only available from about mile 15, so I might take some with me. I haven't been able to buy gatorade anywhere so am hoping it tastes like lucozade. image

• The Green Fairy wrote (see)

Swervin Mervin - I doubt if I'll do a long run of more than 16 miles in training now so don't you fret either.  And go easy on speedy runs. I went quicker for a change once about 6 weeks before a marathon and just tweeked something close to my knee but it was enough to make me have to pull out . A lesson learned the hard way.

In 4 weeks time we shall all be (fullfilled) MARATHONERS image

Cheers GF!! Knee seems okay after my 'sprint' image Think I'm tempting fate now...I went out last night and did 13 miles and included probably the three biggest hills in Brighton!! Felt good afterwards though.....took me 2'12" so happy with that.

I'm kinda hoping to get two longer runs in before next weekend, hopefully an 18 and a 20. It worries me that if I only do a 16 before hand then the last 10 miles are in uncharted territory!

Really really getting excited about this now! I've got family coming down to support me so should be a good weekend!

Just ordered a new pair of shoes too as my exisiting ones seem to have lost a lot of 'bounce'.....any opinions on introducing increased BOINGINESS at this late stage?

• gatorade is saltier that lucozade... mind you both brands are disgusting IMHO.

Wiggle do Cliff products folks - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/nutrition/?ea=4294789592

• 8065 Green

Last 20 mile run this weekend in Leicester with Snowmaiden and Toby3 before the taper.  It somehow seems more real now the number has come through. 

• Hi all. Hope you're all looking forward to the taper after this weekend! I know I am.

Had my race number today and it appears I'm in the red pen - predicted finish of 3.15-4hrs. Think I'll be v close to 4 hours, rather than 3.15!

Got my last 20 miler this weekend - thinking about the Llanelli 20 mile race, but the first 10k is uphill (a gradual climb, but still...). Anyone care to gee me up so I get my backside into gear?
  • Jealous now! Where is mine?

Looking back thru my emails it looks like I've got to collect my running no. at the Brighton Marathon Exhibition the two days before the day. image

• Race number? Check your email - mine came through this afternoon, but I'm guessing they'll send out emails in batches so it may come through in a day or so. If not - check your spam filter.
  • NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    Got mine too, 258 white
  • Old mother mervin went to the inbox and the inbox was bare! image

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    Maybe to cut cost there is someone writing the emails one by one, if that is the case then will have worked harder than us on the 14th April
  • Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

I have been able to get some Clif gels and shotblocks at my local Sweatshop. To try out the Gatorade drinks, I had to buy some from my local leaisure centre's vending machine. They don't seem to be in the supermarkets around me.

• Mervin: the email just gives you your number and pen colour - you still have to collect all the stuff from the expo. Keep checking the emails!
  • Phew....thanks. You've had me panicing checking thru my emails double/triple checking I am registered for the damn thing! lol image

Checking my boy is registered for the 'mini mile' too.......fired off an email to the charity I'm running for too as I am certain they were gonna provide me with a vest/t-shirt before the race.

New trainers (same as my old ones).....okay at this stage?

• we've tried the Gatorade it not bad a lot better the power aid but still prefer the lucozade 15 for me today or it should be burt may well cut it down to 13 will have to see

Tillstar yur more than welcome

• Mervin, sharing the shoe dilemma. Bought Kayano 19s, which will replace my 18s. I'd run 650 miles in my oldies, so know I need to run the newies in during taper, just nervous about change. Still, with 23 days to go, should be OK.

Toby3, agree, would rather lucozade than Gatorade. Although its not bad. Thanks for mentioning, I should try and use it at Sundays Cranleigh 21.

With Easter etc next week, it's only actually 13 working days left.....
  • ahhh 22 miler tonight, my last long run before the marathon!

hope that will keep me going throughout as i'm aiming for 10min miles whole way so i can get an idea of what time i'll be aiming for on the day.

weather looks same as always windy and raining. if the sun comes out for the day i don't think i'll know what to do!!!