Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Bad luck non stick hope you are feeling better soon.

Swerving Mervin fantastic run! You must be delighted after all the injury problems etc, well done indeed! Hope you did the ice bath to follow?????
  • Hi Jelleybaby. Bit of a guilty admission....I had a nice warm soak to be honest. I really can never see myself in an ice bath.

Yeh....well chuffed aftet the knee/ITB probs. I think I owe my physio a pint!!
  • NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jelleybaby, hopefully just a short blip and can do the run on Monday instead, I've no had a good run up to this, really need to get 2 big runs in to help the confidence but I'm sure it will be ok
  • Great runs guys.

I was delighted to do just over 21.5 miles, in 3 hrs 56 mins. imageimage I was really worried at the start my calves/shins would give me a problem, in the end they didn't hurt one jot !! My knees were very sore towards the end, and they are very stiff now, but nothing that will be better in 2-3 days I think. One hiccup was that my Garmin ran out of power half way round, so I was guessing a bit on distance/time, but that is only a minor point.

Roll on 3 weeks time !!

• Yay! Well done swervin mervin and Salisbury lad for the great runs after struggling with injuries. Much love for everyone on this forum you are all amazing image
  • Evening all. Some good running going on! Congrats on your first 20 miler Mervin!

To those of you sweating on injuries, missing runs, feeling you're running slow: don't panic! Nobody says a marathon is supposed to be easy! Enjoy the taper, look after your legs and feet, watch what you eat, and think positive!

Sounds like some of you have got the snow in a big way. Nothing here in South Wales, fortunately, but it's blinking cold.

I ran the Llanelli 20 miler today. First 6 miles were uphill. I say hill, more of a constant, dragging, grinding incline that knocks the stuffing out of your calves! Then it levels out for four miles to the turn around point. So there's another four miles (mostly) flat, then six downhill to jar the knees. Anyway, I finished in 2:50:38, which is about 15 mins faster than I've ever run 20 miles. Felt like there was a little more in the tank, too, which is a good sign for Brighton.

Also, chuffed to discover the race organisers and arranged it so you could swap your race bib for a crepe at the end of the race. Very welcome!

• Well done everyone on your runs this weekend or week for those who were clever enough to do there long run at beg of week!!!!

Amazing running in these poor conditions.

I did 20miles early this morning in just over 3hrs. Was meant to be doing races which got cancelled so went out on my own. Found last 2 miles very hard due to not drinking enough during run. Such a silly mistake for someone who has been running for many yrs.

Really looking forward to next few weeks. I use these to improve sped work and work on MP instead of those very long runs.

Gym tomorrow for stretches and light weights. Tuesday spin class. Thursday mid tempo 7/8mile run followed by a 13mile run on Sunday with middle section at MP.

Good luck everyone this week
  • Non stick. I ran my pb at Abingdon after 2weeks of flu. Didn't do one run in the last two weeks of taper and felt fantastic on the day. Not only a pb but the most comfortable marathon I've ever run. So don't despair.

I can feel the joy amongst us now it's officially taper time!!!
  • NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    Thanks MarkD, my problem is that I had a calf tear and was out for 6 weeks so was hoping to catch up in the last few weeks but thanks for the encouragement, also doing the Abingdon marathon, hope my build up is better for that one
  • Well done all, great to hear decent runs in such 'challenging' conditions! I had a 20 planned today. I wore 2 pairs of leggings, 2 pairs of gloves, in fact pretty much two of everything! After running through a blizzard, I took a part cross country route but the fields were worse than I thought. I slipped and got soaked, so had to cut it short at a disappointing 13 miles...

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, but I will do the missing 7 tomorrow for the hell of it !
  • Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Thanks to those who warned that we may well be feeling slow and tired! I was beginning to worry. But hopefully I have done enough training to be able to run the 26 miles! In only 21 days we shall know for sure image

Now I am looking forward to tapering.

• Well done everyone for getting out today in the cold.  I did 4.5 miles to the gym, 6.3 in the gym, then 4.5 miles back so super chuffed with a total of 18!  If I can manage 20 next week then I am set for a taper.

• Ahhhh, it's such a good feeling isn't it?! Last really long LSR in the bag. I was dreading mine this morning as I knew it was going to be hilly (not great on hills), freezing (not great in the cold), muddy (not great when it's slippy) and most of all WINDY ('nuff said!). Well, what a surprise. It was all of these things, all at once, but I flew round. 19.25 miles in 2:45, despite getting stuck climbing over a gate.

Now.....I'd like to put this down to all the hard training I've done, but have to confess I tried a new supplement before the run this morning. In New York (image) at the expo for sad, dejected, would-have-been marathon runners, one of the freebies I picked up was a tiny bottle called "5 Hour Energy", anyone else tried it? It's a magic go-fast potion full of caffeine and vitamin B and caffeine and amino acids and more caffeine. It's taken me 4 months to get around to trying it.....tell you what, I'll be buying more before race day!

So excited by the prospect of tapering, I signed up to three more races this afternoon, oops.

Well done everyone for the fantastic achievements; I'm in awe at the mileage you're covering and almost sob with pride when I read about everyone's trials and tribulations. Keep posting whilst resting - this thread is a real life line during taper.
  • Could anyone explain to me what tapering is exactly?
  • Well done everyone!! Salisbury lad I hope you had a good run image

Sussex runner, I'm a bit of a newby so one of the more experienced guys may explain better, but tapering is when you wind down prior to the marathon. You should be at your peak 3-4 weeks before the event when you'd be doing long runs up to 22 miles. You then need this tapering time for your body to recover from these long runs so its in best shape for the actual marathon. You would still be running but at shorter distances, with maybe some speed work or body conditioning.

I did Hastings half today, my second half and beat my PB by 2 minutes down to 2hrs5mins - I know lots of you can go a lot faster but this is really good for me! Have had knee injuries and chest infection then flu (very bad luck!!) so I have only managed to do 2 half marathons, a 16 mile and 20 mile as long runs but have kept going! Tapering as of tomorrow so will keep it going and go to Brighton with my head held high!!

Take care everyone and good luck with the training xx
  • morning all

my this thread moved on at a pace well just 8 for me today with 2x 5miles and a 14 on Friday then the mileage drops right off

hat's off to all of you who got out there over the weekend some great runs clocked up welcome to all the newcomers if it's any thing like the last 3 years this thread will be join by a few more yet

• Picklelilly. Cafeine is the answer. I drink very little during the week then have a big can of very very high caffeine drink a couple of hours before my long run. It keeps you focused and keeps you going IMO. image
  • MarkD, Similar, saving the caffeine energy gels for the last 7 miles helps enormously. The SIS gels (cherry) are rather good, don't sit heavy and not too sweet. I alternate then with the Cliff Bloks (best knawed on with your mouth open to getting out of breath - tip of the day!!)
  • Sussex runner. It's when you eat cake and pop out for the occasional 4 mile jog;)
  • MarkD wrote (see)
    Sussex runner. It's when you eat cake and pop out for the occasional 4 mile jog;)

It would appear that Ive been tapering for 14 weeks!!

• Laughed out loud at that MarkD....got some funny looks on the crowded commuter train.
  • Managed 17 cross country miles in ridiculous conditions. Must have done 6-7 miles wading through knee to waist deep snow. My hip flexors and calfs are shot to bits this morning.

I had aimed to do 22 miles, making it my last big run, but thats now going to have to wait until next weeked.

It means a two week taper but I think I need it for my own confidence.

I dare say the weather this year has put everyones goal back 10 minutes!!!

• I do like the sound of these caffeine gels - I am using SIS gels (the non-caffeine ones), I think I will get 1 caffeine one to get me through the last 30 mins (I was going to say 3 miles, but depending how I am getting on that could be anything between 1 mile and 3 miles !!).

• Anyone else doing an "old man shuffle walk" today after their long runs yesterday ... very stiff knees today !! My kids think it's very funny, especially up and down the stairs.image

• More like a wooden leg walk for me.

• SalisburyLad, my kids were worried about the groans I was making everytime I got up and tried to move about yesterday.  Feeling loose and only slightly sore today, pysching up for a 20 min recovery job.

• I still haven't recieved an email with my number image

• I'm still waiting too! You'd think it would be automated and they'd all get done at once.
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i have mine - in the red coral - does seem quite a wide time zone per coral - aiming for 3 hours but in a coral for 3:15 to 4 hours - that is quite a range of poeple in one coral - is there a coral faster than red?