Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Jelleybaby - I hope we get a chance to do a reasonably long run in race-day attire.  Although, the way the weather is going this year, maybe we already have image (shudder)

image i think Neil meant to eat the malt loaf as part of carb loading, rather than during a run.

Definitely going to be part of my carb loading.  Love the stuff!

• Yeah malt loaf is lovely. Even better after a spicy meat feast pizzaimage
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Too much fat in a pizza, so that will be my post-race treat image

and my post post race treat too.

• post race treat i alway's head for the Burger King on the front just down from the finish

• I am not sure if I have read this right, but on page 50 of the Essential guide on the Brighton marathon website, in the section about The Beach Village, it says "Every finisher will receive a Foster's beer!" imageimage

• Very disappointing (see above post) - looked in more detail, and hidden away under a different section of the website, it says:

"A 2% ABV Foster’s lager cut with lemon juice, Foster’s Radler is being launched in pubs, clubs, supermarkets and off licences from this month (March) and the sponsorship of the Brighton Marathon on April 14 is part of HEINEKEN’S UK-wide plans to create excitement and interest around the brand.

Every entrant who crosses the Madeira Drive finishing line will be given a chance to sample Foster’s Radler and the new product will be available to race spectators and supporters in the Foster’s bar at the Brighton Marathon Beach Village."

Call me a traditionalist, but lager with lemon juice ?? image

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    It might be one of those mini cans of beer thou
  • I do remember vaguely drinking lager and lime in my (much) younger days, not lager and lemon though! Don't drink now anyway - after the marathon I'd be 'under the table' and certainly not fit to fly!!!image   A soya milkshake post race will do me fine!

• I'm not a drinker either! But it's free!!!! So why not.

Not sure lager is the chosen drink for rehydrationimage
  • With malt loaf??? Did you mean during the race or before or both re malt loaf Mark

Just thought I'd add this as well - from VLM FB page re tapering. I know lots of you are experienced runners but for people like me it's a useful read! http://bit.ly/H8UvTg

• I have been reading the comments on here for a few weeks now, and they have really helped me get out on my long runs. Especially when it is snowing/raining/freezing and just down right miserable outside!!

I did my last long run on saturday which was 21 miles at around 3:20 I think. I would love to go sub 4:30 but it depends if I have to stop for the toilet 3 times like I did last year!!

It is so nice to know you are not the only mad person to go out in the conditions that we do. I am always being called mad by my work colleagues and family!

I hope everyones race goes ok. I will be on here most days checking how everyone is feeling and how their tapers are going as it is nice hearing people having the same thoughts and emotions as me!!

xx

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

end of Berlin last year you could get beer! I missed it (being a non drinker it wasn't an issue) but then spotted loads of other finishers all swigging pints of beer. 

Just got my race shoes delivered - taken the plunge and bought those new Adidas Boost - tried them on in a shop the other day and have to sayi was impressed - first run may be this weekend.

• From mile 23, my motivation is the golden sparkly bubbles moving up a chilled pint. I've no problem with a beer at the finish line, who knows, it may help a PB. But 2% and with lemon? - just weird.
  • SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Hey Andy: I was in Berlin in September. It was all alcohol free stuff, I grabbed a pint, had one sip and gave it too my mate. A recovery shake was much more to my tasting!

GCE I agree, why would anyone want to put lemon in a pint? I can't believe the Ozzie's came up with this idea? Then again do they know someone has watered down the amber nectar and turned it into a cocktail! 

WARNING: I know very few people that only ever do one marathon!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Interval session on the treadmill today:  8m with 5x0.4m @ 5k pace.

It didn't feel like enough, which I guess is how it should be in a taper.

• Ive only just found this forum but it has made me feel so much better to know Im not the only trooper right now! Unfortunately I have been injured for the last three weeks (great timing!!) but have just got back to training and did the actual marathon route today!! Apart from the 26.2 today the furthest Ive done is one 16m, one 13m and then 10 and below so happy I got through it and somehow managed to break 4hours! PLUS IT WAS FREEZING AND YUCK. 

Does anyone know how many long runs we should be doing between now and race day (obviously taking tapering into account?)

Thank youuu

• Welcome Lellie, I posted a link this morning re tapering from VLM on this thread which may help you. My longest run so far has been 22 and now I'm reducing long runs this week is 13, last week was 15. Well done for today's run though fantastic time!
  • Ah thank you so much that was massively helpful! Ok I had better get this milage down then!! Thank you

• Staying in a Premier Inn on business tonight and just eaten my body weight in saturated fat - all this talk of low alcohol beer and malt loaf is not helping the post-binge guilt.
  • Dont worry I got home from running and ate a huge bowl of chips, which then led to an entire big bar of chocolate. We're woman, its inevitable! 

• Chinese, pizza, biscuits, I'm taking carb loading to another level!!!! image
  • I demolished a bag of mini eggs and don't feel guiltyimage like you say Lellie - us girls need our treats!
  • I had half a packet of chocolate hob nobs this afternooon. Glad I'm not the only one...!

• MarkD Enlighten me on what carbon loading is. Is it eating lots of pizza three weeks out from the marathon? Is that what we should be doing too?
  • You can all stop feeling guilty I just demolished half a pack of Jaffa cakes and since I have only just started training for next years marathon (having pulled out of this years months ago) I have done nowhere near the mileage you guys have so my munching was definitely not justified! You guys need the energy!!

Also does anyone here go to Roko in Gillingham? I keep seeing a lady in a BM hoody when I go and I wondered if it was one of you guys?

Hope tapering is going well x
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Carbon loading?  That would be eating a pack of HB pencils.

• Just enjoyed an 8 miler along a cold moonlit Brighton seafront. Nice!!

Burning off my moment of weakness. Dinner was a hearty soup for me and all was well until I spotted the kids had leftover pizza.
  • Lellie, welcome to the thread.

I am really trying hard to resist the urge to binge. It was a struggle walking past the chippie tonight! Holding firm though, a good diet, lots of vegetables can only be a good thing in the next few weeks.

Looking ahead; weather, its showing 12 degrees the Thursday before, so a bit warmer, but mighty tough on spectators. (not bad for running though). Anything can happen between now and then, but its good to add to the list of things to panic over, despite lack of ability to change of them!

• I tried something new on Saturday night before my HM on the Sunday. I had a pasta meal as usual but then had 750ml of frozen yoghurt (that was a struggle to get through) but also a pack of Maltesers and Minstrels (the medium sized packs). Not sure whether or not I actually benefited from the additional food after the pasta but I got a PB so may try something similar on the 13th April.

24 min sustained run tonight after a few miles warmup (in which I didn't actually warm up as it was so cold!).

Enjoying all the talk of food and reduced mileage. I've still got a 22 on Friday.

• GCE, I'll be happy with 12c. Just need the wind to stay away!