Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• David

Impressive distance, but what training plan are you following that advises that distance so close to the Marathon?
  • DF3, I thought I was cutting it fine with a planned 22 on Friday but you're seriously packing in the miles! I've often thought about going beyond the full distance in training but the majority of guides will say don't, plus personally I get seriously bored doing long runs on my own!
  • Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

I have been 'carb-loading'! I have been eating more than normal recently, which I kind of have rationalised away because I have been running much more than normal these past weeks.

I did read some stuff about cutting back on alcohol and the bad kinds of fats, especially in preparation in doing a marathon . And I was going to do so. But haven't got very far in doing so.image  Can someone really tell me that it matters; that it really makes a difference? Because I really enjoy my half bottle of wine and doughnuts!!image

• Kath

A few years back I cut out the booze three weeks before a marathon. The last few, I cut it out just a week before. I've been fine, didn't feel any different. As long as your hydrated, I'm sure it has limited impact.

I'm being careful not to binge, don't want to pile on weight in next three weeks,
  • morning all

just a quick post as bed is calling

well got the 8 done yesterday just 5 for me today will do them on the treadmill

• Fantasic effort DF3.
  • DF3 wow wow wow. Top man!!!!
  • Nice quiet day for me - right knee still a bit sore after the 21.5 miles on Sunday, but is slowly on the mend, so planning to rest it until Friday or Saturday.

• Not sure I see the point of bringing yourself to vomit point in training but each to thier own image 

I'm training for the SDW 100 and certainly won't be going beyond that in training!

I would say it is more about how well you recover from such long training runs and what you wish to accomplish on the day.  In my rather unhumble opinion there is always the risk of reaching the start line knackered and worst..injured.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice, GCE. I just try not to binge.image

Hi,DF3. I'm sure that the Brighton marathon is just a training run for you also before some ultrasimage

• PS..Kathy I think it is all about moderation.  A little bit of what you fancy does you good and I have been known to have a glass of wine the evening before the marathon..but probably wouldn't stretch to a bottle.

Like GCE, I've tried the no beer training and I can't say it made any difference but I generally try to be sensible with my consumption..with the occasional fall off the wagon! image

• Kath  I posted a link on here yesterday morning from VLM link re tapering but it also had some useful stuff about carb loading. Personally, I find it quite hard to eat more - I don't eat chocolate or cakes etc, and dislike pasta - so carb loading for me is brown rice/brown bread/quinoa. Hope you find it useful though, It's also about being hydrated as well - so if you want to keep drinking the wine perhaps just make sure you also have the same (if not more) in non alcoholic and non hydrating fluids.

Just done 6 miles in negative splits - first 3 averaging 9.10 min/mile the second 3 around 8.05 min/mile with a  7.50 for the last mile - well chuffed! Cold but dry here, going to attempt my charity T shirt on Saturday when I do my 13 miles and see how I go, I think temperature here is similar to Brighton!

DF3 wow what a run!!!

• Hot cross buns are my fav at the moment, I struggle with too much pasta too.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Neil Spicer - I am following the Richman training plan. I'll see if I can find it for you and post a link. Basically its by this guy who's job took him to lots of different cities across America. So because he was travelling so often and had little time to train, his philosophy was to set himself a challenge in every city he arrived.

So he would arrive at a city, set himself a challenge that usually had a time limit and even when he hit the wall and thought he couldn't keep on going, he would often break through his body screaming 'No more Adam!' and he would keep going.

Sometimes he would even bring himself to the point of vomiting such was the difficulty of his challenge. Usually he would win though, and thats the point, to challenge yourself each and every time.

The Adam Richman training plan. Superb. Im not sure where eating a 72oz steak or a 42inch pizza fits into marathon training, but then I suppose nobody has tried it before. It could be revolutionary. Just dont get on the chicken wings smothered in "shut up juice" the night before the race. Or do. Maybe wind assistance would help!

• Carb loading 3 weeks out from the race?

Really?

• Anyway back to runningimage I've got a 10 mile race this weekend ( maidenhead Easter 10 on Good Friday)

How would you run it ladies and gents??? Easy, hmp, mp??
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    MarkD wrote (see)
    Anyway back to runningimage I've got a 10 mile race this weekend ( maidenhead Easter 10 on Good Friday)

How would you run it ladies and gents??? Easy, hmp, mp??

I'm doing it 3m wu, 10m @ MP, cd

It wouldnt hurt at this stge to race it actually in terms of recover, but there is the injury risk. For me the cost benefit analysis since I got a 10 mile pb in October, says that its better to get some MP under my belt in race conditions than a 10 mile pb. I've missed one session in the whole campaign so far so am playing uber cautious now in order to get to the A race start line in the best possible shape!

Depends on your circumstance I would say image

• Thanks curly. What's you're MP?
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

In training I've been working to 7:30ish but I'm going to aim for 7:24 and see how it feels for Maidenhead before making a final decision about what my MP will actually be.

You?

• That's my 'A' game pace. I tried that last year got halfway in 1.35 and bombed to a 3.23 finish image

I think comfortably 7.40ish but if I do maidenhead at MP it will probably end up being about 7.30.

Done maidenhead last year in 69 mins and that was only a week before Brighton. I contribute that to my legs feeling quite heavy at Brighton.

I think I'm confusing myself nowimage

I may see you on the way round then.
  • Last year my pace was on for a 3:40, but got over confident and aimed for 3:30. Finished in 3:50.

Lesson learnt.

• Until you run the next one gazimage temptation is soooo strong to go off fast!
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Sensible pacing is one of the toughest parts of race day, I think it involves:
    sensible A target not fully outlined until 1-2 weeks before, B and C targets that arent awful mentally
    ongoing feedback during the race "how does this effort level feel for this mile?" sort of questions
    ability to give up the A goal if its getting too hard too early and settle for the B goal

I often break races down into chunks and once I have decided my pace will learn the splits for these inside out so I know exactly where I need to be at any given point . Of course it can still all go wrong but it helps to recude the possibility!

• talking about pace

for i missed out on a sub 4hr by 28 seconds last year (dam that toilet brake) so i was looking to just take 29 seconds of my time this year but i ran the Llanelli H/M and got around in 1:43:36 taking just over 8 minutes of my personal best

and this year i have been 26 minutes quicker over the same 20 mile route as i used last year mind you i am now 3st 0.5lbs lighter than last year which helps not surprisingly
    so now I’m not shore what time to aim for

i was going to try to stick with the sub 4hr pacemaker and see how i got on but i don't know now if i should try the next pace maker down

have to say I'm with Dips on the hot cross buns with a nice cheese slice

• it the guts all over the floor that worries me when i blow up if i go out to fast

• Regarding the pace runners who are running with the big flags attached (how hard must that be if it is windy ...). Do they take account of people generally running the latter miles more slowly, especially at the slower times ? For example, I am looking at approx. 4:45, but know I am likely to slow at the end ... so instead of running 10 mins 52 secs per mile, which is spot on 4:45, I would be more likely to aim for 10:30 or so for the first 20 miles, to allow for some slowing. If anyone knows that would be great.

• Toby, for what it is worth I would think sticking with your original plan is key for the start.  If you get to 20 miles and feel good you can push on and still be sure of that sub 4hr.

If you chance it and go out faster then the wheels come off you might loose any ground you have made and at worst miss your sub 4 completely.

Well done on the weight loss, amazing amount to loose image