Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I will make a decision on Tuesday unless told that I can't on Saturday by the physio. I'm 99.9% sure it won't recover in time.

I have a calf wrap on today and I can walk without too much pain, but anyting more and it kills. It's started to feel as though its moving up towards the back of my knee now too.

I was aiming to go sub 3:30.

• Options

I'm also finding it hard not to do little jogs in the corridor at work just to see how it feels.

I'm resting it as much as I can, icing and elevating but as each day passes I can't help but check to see how its doing.

I'm probably sending it backwards but would rather know now than two miles into the race and £400 in my pocket lighter.

Suggestions for a Summer and Autumn marathon please.

• Options

I don't even know where my pain is. I am getting a 2nd chiropratic opinion tomorrow/Saturday so I guess they might tell me either way. 

I am exactly the same but even walking isn't hugely comfy.

Don't know if I can be bothered to walk the whole thing and just 'enjoy' it. That's not really why I run that far...!

• Options

Autumn marathong: Chester. Really good little race with massive PB potential.

I am going to do Shrewsbury in June: 4 laps but I don't even care, I want 3:29:59 this year.

• Options

if anyone does have a spare could you emaile me - thx again image

cafc1974@aol.com

• Options
    sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

Well, I'll make a rubbish doctor. Just read Words post and relalised that I'm getting the ball and heel of my foot mixed up image It's actually my heel where I'm getting the pain.

Been rolling my foot on a ball and that seems to be helping. Also taking Ibuprofen to see if that helps as well.

• Options
    Apparently beer root increases endurance by some amazing amount. image
  • Options
    EricIsBananaMan wrote (see)

if anyone does have a spare could you emaile me - thx again image

cafc1974@aol.com

Unfortunately entries cannot be transferred.

• Options
    VieuxLilleBlonde wrote (see)

I don't even know where my pain is. I am getting a 2nd chiropratic opinion tomorrow/Saturday so I guess they might tell me either way. 

I am exactly the same but even walking isn't hugely comfy.

Don't know if I can be bothered to walk the whole thing and just 'enjoy' it. That's not really why I run that far...!

No, me neither. I run to keep fit, but I also run to better myself and I'm not walking.

If I can't do it then so be it. Its only a race and I'll run it next year.

I'm sure we have the same injury.

Chester is on my hit list.

• Options

Just been to the charity shops to try and get some old jogging bottoms and a top for the start of the race .. goodness how things have changed since I was last in a charity shop ! You used to be able to buy some raggedy old clothes for 50p or £1, however all of the clothes were in almost pristine condition, with nothing less than £4 !!

Decided I must have something in the deep recesses of the wardrobe I can use instead ...

• Options
    where can you get beer root juice?
  • Options

Hi all.

Thought I'd jump into this thread after following for the past few weeks.

I'm running/jogging/walking/crawling/hitching a lift on a mate's bike around the Brighton marathon in 10 days time (gulp!).

It'll be my first marathon after running a number of halves and have no idea what to expect....apart from pain. Training has gone pretty well, disrupted by the odd bout of illness and injury but managed to knock out a couple of 19 milers as my two longest runs.

Looking forward to support through the taper madness that is slowly setting in.

PS. I'm off down Tesco tonight to stock up on Beetroot juice.....

• Options

Taper-tastic 6 miles for me this morning, and I can't believe I am still running in snow! It's so cold and windy too, I'm really fed up with it now.

I don't think I'll need arm-warmers as I'll be wearing long-sleeves and a jacket at this rate...

• Options

long range forcast 14c and partly sunny. perfect.

• Options

That would be lovely, as long as there's no wind. Too far away to believe though...image

• Options
    SalisburyLad, it's mad isn't it. I found the sale rail in sports direct is cheaper than a second hand shop. Given today's weather, I'm not even sure I'll be shedding any layers!!

Supposed to do 5 miles tonight, but can't face it...
  • Options

Thanks for the advice all. Resting up it is, then...

• Options
    GCE agreed, I switched a day off tomz with tonight, bitter in London not sure what Brighton coast is like now !
  • Options
    Does anyone know how easy it is to get to the start from the premier inn on north street? I don't know the area well enough
  • Options
    Neil, it's bitterly cold here in Brighton too I'm afraid. More snow today but nothing has settled. Still having to scrape ice off the car in the morning - Happy Easter eh?!

Tillstar, it's a very straight-forward walk from North Street to Preston Park, will probably take about 20-25 mins at most. Lots of people did this last year, so just follow the runners.

B&T glad your trainers have arrived too. Rest day for me today but I wore them all day anyway in the hope that it would help. The real test is a 4 miler tomorrow. If in doubt, the duct tape is going on the old pair.

Keep thinking of more jobs to do - next task, track down some iron-on letters for my race shirt. Toby3 did you buy yours online?
  • Options
    Oh.....and also buying a shed load of beetroot.
  • Options

Quick 6 mile dash to Brighton pier and back tonight.....bloomin' freezin!!

Warmed myself up with a bowl of this though......what a find! It's lovely image

http://images.mysupermarket.co.uk/Products_1000/96/261696.jpg

• Options
    Picklelily - I got my iron on letters of amazon. (SS printing). Good sized letters, and only about ??4 for 5 inc. postage.

Swervin Mervin, soup looks good. I had a mackerel, roasted beetroot & horseradish salad for lunch today from Leon. It was yummy.

Feeling paranoid that my nose is sniffly, doubled the echinacea tablets, taken flu relief, consumed lots of lemon & ginger steepers and threw in a few vitC tablets for good measure...

Till star - walk is a good warm up opportunity, lots of coffee shops open for last minute espresso. Quite a nice relaxed vibe in the air
  • Options

Thanks to who posted a while ago about buying a raincoat at Poundland.  I found one the other day and it should work a treat should it be chilly at the start. (It's green too!)image

Managed to do my final LSR outside last weekend and have been suffering with a cough ever since.  I've been wrapping myself in cotton wool and even hiding in the cleaning cupboard at work when the outside door opens in order to avoid the freezing draught. And so far so goodimage.

• Options

well another week draws to a close did 6 miles Tuesday and  5 on Wednesday  so i just have 2 x5 miles and a 4 left now before Brighton

Picklelilly no we took our to a shop to get them done but because of the fabric the vest are made of had to wait a few days for the letters to arrive then it was back to the shop and they put them on for us we all have our names on the front and our forum names on the back

• Options
    OK people, it's official, taking echinacea doesn't help. I've just woken with a sore throat & runny nose & eyes.

Missions on, I've 2 days to clear it. I won't be ill in the week leading upto a marathon!!

The weathers still showing really erratic, it's all over the place by different forecasts. Decided not to look again until Wednesday
  • Options
    I think the long range forecast is rubbish!!!!!!

I often think of the formula 1 teams with all there technology predicting that rain is coming in 5 or 10 minutes and they still get it wrong! I still look every minute of the day tho image

I had a flu jab a few months ago and this seems to be keeping all the illnesses at bay (smug face). Any one with asthma even if its mild is entitled to them I think?

5 mp miles tonight. A 7 on Sunday then the odd mile here and there.

Positively warm today 8 degrees!!!!!

Looking forward to going to chessington zoo Sunday after my 7 mile long run haha.
  • Options
    My cold is waning now so that's a relief. After reading about some of the others' injuries I guess I should be thankful I've only got a cold. Only one short run for me this week since the 23 last Friday. I'll attempt to get out tonight after work and I'm running the back half of the Paddock Wood Half this Sunday to pace my girlfriend home for hopefully a new PB.

GCE - try taking some Munuka honey (the higher the number the better). Quite expensive but does the trick.

Re names on shirts. I've got Stevie C on the front of my vest courtesy of the charity however I'm struggling to get Lombster on the back as the letters I got off eBay just don't seem to want to stick. I have a feeling it might be because of my iron so will have another attempt at my parents this weekend.
  • Options

Knee feeling lots less pain today, but will resist (YES, RESIST) any temptation to try and run on it until the race. As for the weather, I agree that they really don't have the faintest idea more than a couple of days in advance, and even then,  on or near the coast I think it is even more variable.

I work in Portsmouth, and quite often the weather there can change every few hours, whilst my family say that in Salisbury (40 miles away but inland) it has been constant all day ... sounds like we will have to plan for all eventualities image

Off to Sports Direct to try and find some cheap jogging bottoms image

• Options
    Lombster - good idea about Manuka. I'm going to hunt a Holland & Barrett now. I'll be eating it, drinking it, smearing all over me for good measure!

SalisburyLad, good luck at sports direct. The best bargains are often in the XXL sizes, the drawstrings save the day, and it's not a fashion show. Lol