Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Pickellilly thanks for the info about hotel image

GCE get better soon hope the cold disappears fast

Lombster I am running the Paddock Wood Half this weekend image Will be a PB as its my first one but not hopeful of a good time as training hasnt gone to plan so expect you and your girlfriend will have finished long before I do (as will most people).  hope she gets her PB

Sailsbury Lad Keep resisting the temptation to run image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

It's past noon on the 1st David, which makes you the April Fool.

Nice easy 5m with strides later today, which I'll do on the treadie.  Rest tomorrow, then 12m on Sunday in race day shoes, loaded gel belt and whatever else I can do that will be close to race day wear given the weather image 

• long range forcast 14c and partly sunny. perfect.

• David, big respect for anyone running a marathon in anything other than standard running gear. Would a quick picture of said outfit be too much to ask for, just in case any other ostriches run past, it would be embarassing to call them David by mistake ... imageimage

• Tillstar, I have told my family that a la that famous Steve Redgrave quote, if they see me going anywhere near my running shoes for the next 8 days, they have permission to shoot me ... I aim to go where the great man failed, and stick to that plan !!

• another one here that has a streaming cold - I think I was in 1st spot for GB in the world nose dripping champs yesterday but thankfully it's dried up quite a bit overnight so I'm hoping it will have buggered off by Monday.

fnigers crossed for better weather for race day - I'll take warm and pissing down rather than freezing cold and biting wind

• Lombster, hope this Manuka honey works, ??45 for a small jar!!
  • GCE (8357 Red) wrote (see)
    Lombster, hope this Manuka honey works, ??45 for a small jar!!

save your money - it's only supposed to work if you use it on a regular basis to boost your immune system and the science jury is out on it's supposed benefits (much like echinacea etc).   

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    GCE (8357 Red) wrote (see)
    Lombster, hope this Manuka honey works, ??45 for a small jar!!

Theres a sucker born every minute.

Shhh DF3, I was just about to make the magic beans sales pitch! There'll be another along shortly no doubt though image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I love the way Manuka honey gets more expensive according to how high it's "UMF" is.  So what does "UMF" mean? The "Unique Manuka Factor" image  It probably should have been "MUF", or Made-Up Fiction.

Tastes nice with beetroot juice, though.

• Great weeks training completed. 35miles done since Sunday with my last LSR completed today 10.7miles at a relaxed 9:15pace. Three more runs planned in before the big. One, Sunday easy 4miles, Tuesday 6miles with effort, and Thursday easy 4miles. Interesting reading posts about beet root never seen that before. Think I will stick with my carbo loading from the Wednesday with bananas, pasta, rice ect and drinking plenty of good old fashioned water!!!!

Looking forward to Wednesday when I finish work and can focus on race. Hitting shops Thirsday for gels/drinks for the race.

Good luck everyone keep it up
  • Tillstar, although you'll be getting a PB at Paddock Wood I take it you're not going all out for time given it's only a week before Brighton? I was going to take it easy and run the whole thing with my girfriend but I'm going to be sensible and meet her half-way round just so I don't spend too long on my feet. Not sure how popular the sponge stations will be this year given it's still pretty cold. If you do pick up one at the 7mile (ish) station be sure to throw one at whoever will be in the stocks (usually one of my family!).

I'm not sure on whether Manuka really is a miracle cure for ailments or just a placebo, but it does taste rather nice. I opted for the smallest pot going (2 teaspoons worth) when I bought some this week and even that was £1.25.

I have a load of beets at home so will be knocking up some unusual blends next week!

• Another member of the dripping nose club here (sniff) Can't work out how I could do so much training in such disgusting weather without the merest sniffle, but a week's holiday and a taper and I'm poorly!

I got my iron on letters from eBay, but they seemed quite dear so maybe Amazon's a better bet. They did have a huge range of sizes and colours though. Actually, that reminds me, they haven't asked which letters I actually want yet!

Rest and taper everyone, rest and taper (to be said in a penguins from Madagascar voice 'smile and wave boys, smile and wave!)
  • Lombster - I am not running Brighton this year as had to pull out earlier in the year for various reasons but mainly that there was no way I was going to reach the chartity's fundraising target (and I got scared having only run a few 5ks before signing up)

I have been lurking around this forum all year and am going down to brighton next friday to buy my 2014 place so i can raise money for my chosen charity and concentrate on the tough training and not have to panic about reaching a set target.  Have also done a fair bit of running this year so feel I am better equipped to tackle it.

Ha ha I will remember that for the mile 7 station.  Just saw a rather fetching picture of you on the website in an attactive yellow wig at last year's brighton - are you wearing similar attire for this year's marathon?

• Hello!

A slightly random request for help from those who know Brighton...

Does anyone know of a gym/hotel/spa with a jacuzzi, that would be open to non-members after the race? I would love to recover in one post-pace, but I'm having trouble finding places that are open to people from out of town.

Thanks!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

The sea is your best bet. Natural ice bath, plenty of room and right near the finish.

• Tillstart -are you meeting up with us on Saturday (after signing up for next year?). Hope all is well with your running, it's been great that you have kept with us for this length of time!

Manuka honey is meant to work I used to use it when I was unwell to try to avoid additional colds/coughs/infections etc, but I agree very expensive. Honey generally is good though so I tend to use it rather than sugar on cereal etc.

Think I've just used up the last of my home grown then frozen beetroot, so I'll have to do some shopping to keep the supply up during next week.

Busy baking cakes etc today for a car boot sale tomorrow for my charity, then a cake sale at work on Monday.......next year if I do Brighton I'm being selfish and doing it for me! (all due respect for charities though, but it makes me more stressed than jsut the run itself!!!

Rest day today then slow run on Saturday and Sunday.....yikes not long to go now - time seems to have flown by - it doesn't seem that long ago that I was worried that I couldn't run more than a HM, in just over a week I'm attempting double that! Mad or what!!image

• The cheapest jogging bottoms I found at Sports Direct were £4.99, so having ummed and arred I did get them. I figure the cheapest ones on ebay (once you had factored in postage) would have been at least £3.50, and you wouldn't really know what you were getting until they arrived.

It is ironic that I will only need them if it is a bit warmer, because then I will be wearing the shorts, so will need the joggers to keep warm at the start. If it is as cold as it is now, I will be keeping the running tights on, and won't have need for the joggers !!

Just need to sort out the top half now .. I was given some old jumpers a few months ago, but (honestly) I gave them to my son for his pet ferrets imageimage (they love them as bedding as they like to go in and out of the arms). I don't think that wearing them now would be a good idea .... image !!

• Jelleybaby - Unfornately I wont be able to meet with you guys on the Saturday as I am only getting the train down and back again on the friday.  I wish I could but I have an appointment with my personal trainer at the gym on the Saturday. 

Will be following you all on the Sunday via the App on my phone and no doubt my family will think I am strange as I shall celebrate when it shows you all getting the times you want to.

I agree with you on the whole charity thing, next year I am running for a small local charity that means a lot to me which will give me the motivation but as I am paying for my own place there is no target to reach and they would be grateful for anything I raise even if its only £5 so the pressure is off.

• Tillstar that the way i do it get my own place and then choose a charity to run for the only time I've taken a charity place was for the GNR when i ran for Dreams come True but they only wanted £250 with a £40 restoration fee but the £40 pounds came off the £250 leaving £210 to raise which i thought wasn't to bad

• Is anyone else having race day outfit worries? If it stays as cold as it is I will be fine, but I'm worried that if it gets a bit warmer I will get too hot to wear my tights! I have bought some shorts as my old ones had holes in them, but I'm guessing wearing them for the first time on the day isn't a good idea? Even if I wear them in my remaining training runs none of them are long enough to really see how the shorts will be.

Oh the worries that go through our heads now the hard bit of training is done!

• B&T i had the same thing re cold i had 3 days off over easter plus the weekend and what happens i get my first cold in ages!!! and id been running to id done 5 days out of 6 and was getting my a*s* back into it and now i havnt run since saturday ..my daughter reckons its cos i stopped being stressed by everyday work and being to busy to stop that when i did stop my immune system got me.....

Was hoping to come and cheer you all on this year and spectate rather than run a la the last 3 years but alas my little car needed work and its mot and a years tax so im £650 poorer well actually the credit card took a major hit so im doing the grown up thing and cancelled the hotel and my days holiday from work on the monday and i managed to pay off a mere £50 of it today but im needing to throw every spare penny at that card now image...so to put it mildly im a little pi**ed off right now but hey ho thems the breaks ...i will look forward to all the reports after to cheer me up ....

Hope you all have the run you hoped for and the weather as always it will be a scorcher, has been the last 3 years image

• Tillstar - I wouldn't exactly call last year's attire attractive, more eye-catching! I have a new wig this year to match my new charity vest, however, whether or not I wear it depends on the weather on the day.

Sian3 - I'm having outfit worries, much like a few others on here. I reckon it will be warmer than it is now (it can't go on being this cold for much longer!) although I would only like it to be slightly warmer. There won't be many who will have got any recent training in warmish weather. I struggle in the heat so that's just something else to worry about! 

• Morning, manuka honey may have had placebo effect, but 24 hours later all signs of head cold gone. Runny nose, sore throat and streaming eyes clear. Yay.

Going for a planned 3 mile run in final on decision of clothes for next week shortly.

Hope spectator atmosphere stays strong this year despite weather? No spectator contingency are dropping like flies, as the reality of standing in a cold coastal edge for several hours takes hold. Bad weather is definitely worse for spectators.
  • 10 miles along the seafront at marathon pace, 3 x 6 milers next week and that's it for me.

It's absolutely beautiful in Brighton today - chilly but sunny and a really light wind, can we request more of the same for next weekend please?!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Rest day for me today, then 10-12m tomorrow depending on how I feel.  I'm planning to go out race day kit tomorrow, as long as the weather is not too cold.  At present they seem to believe that it will be a bit warmer during the week, but not too much warmer.  The big difference will be ditching that foul easterly wind.  Let's hope it stays ditched!

• Wow - only 10 seconds slower than my PB at Eastbourne Parkrun this morning - maybe I am fit after all!

Barbie I agree, beautiful sunny day, and such a nice change to run in the sun!

Am I the only one not eating beetroots? image