Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Barry with those times u should b looking for a 3:30 marathon. However if u r feeling a little undecided then go for the 3:45 pace and c how u feel at the 20mile mark.

I'm in a similar pace bracket. I have run 3:33 18months ago and would lv to break 3:30 however do I go with the 8min pacers and hang in there or do I go conservative and with the 3:45 pacers and c how I am at half way?

Will make final decision on Thursday after my final run and then whatever I decide I will convince the mind in the good old mind games!!!!!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Barry - I thought you meant you had raced a half marathon yesterday.  With sub-par training, I personally would err on the side of caution.  But that's because I'm not a fan of pain and hanging in there image

• I'm not a fan of hanging in there either but it probably stops me pushing myself, I managed to clip my best Parkrun in 5 years yesterday and only 4 seconds off my PB compared to my usual minute so that helped with my confidence...however I'm still scared of over cooking a marathon.

PGBear , your friend will need to take ID too. I'll paste the picking up number info from the email if you like....just need to find the email.

But just to say there are about 500 emails sitting in inboxes unopened, have you checked your junk mail?  The main problem has been with AOL accounts and as well as the 500, approcx 200 have been returned as undeliverable so possibly a mistake in the email address?

• I found my email in spam too which was bizarre as I received lots of other emails from brighton fine! I'm not with aol either so definitely worth a check.
  • DF 3 lol image possibly not the best advice but funny nevertheless.

Chessington world of adventures d&d. Brighton will be a doddle on comparison!!!

Just been reading the Paris marathon threads from today's race. Very jealous of all there efforts. Itching to get going.
  • Bit worried as only run 2x 3milers in last two weeks as been ill with a cold.

Is this tapering madness that I feel I've lost all my fitness for the big day?

What are recommendations for running mileage this week? Feel I need a few runs for confidence now!
  • David, u have made me laugh and convinced me to go for 3:30. If I'd don't give it a go, I will never know!!!!!

Cheers for the reply
  • LouiseD I'm no expert but in total next week I'm running 10 miles over 3 runs, at very easy pace. Today I did 4 miles in negative split and enjoyed running a bit quicker, but yesterday I ran 6 miles very easy pace and found it hard to go slower and felt clumsy, not pleasant. The enthusiasm of the race on Sunday and once you get into your race pace you'll be fine!

Yes, I'm also anxious about it, last marathon done 20 years ago! Worrying about food, fluid, clothes you name it I'm worrying about it. But I'm busier than normal at work which may be beneficial.

Made some arm warmers today from a pair of tights! Looking at the forecast though not sure they'll be needed, but better to be prepared.

Is there a blue line to follow on the road?
  • Thanks for the kind words and helpful advice. I've been in touch with the Brighton Marathon team via their Facebook page and they've assured me I have provided enough for my running clubmate to collect my pack. They also told me I will be in the Red starting pen, so I'm happy I know that in advance.

I too went for a run this morning with a fully packed gel belt. It does look odd and it felt surprisingly heavy but I guess it will get lighter as i go through the gels. Last year I took only three gels, at about miles 7, 15 and 21. This year I am planning on taking a gel at miles 5, 10, 15, 20 and 23 and will be carrying my water bottle with me. 

• Jelly baby no blue line. I was thinking they should do one as I was running this morning.
  • Today has very much been a 'this time next week' day!

Just finished my last 8 hour session (that's work, not a run!) and have 3 short shifts Mon Tues Weds then off until 21st.  That's my taper and recoveryimage.

Have beaten the cough I had last week but keeping wrapped up nevertheless.  Every minute of the day full of anxiety amd excitement!

Eeek! Looks like I'm going to make it to the start line this yearimage

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    GF - I've got my fingers crossed for you x
  • Louise - same for the cold here too. As well as being very snotty, I've been feeling wiped out so have been resting up and *trying* not to get too anxious. Still need to fit a few runs in next week to get my shoes a little more worn in, and need to get some beetroot, and decide what I'm going towear on race day .. and and and the list goes on. Welcome to the world of taper madness!

GF - more fingers crossed for you here as well image

• green Fairy if anyone deserves to be there you do you've had such bad luck over the last 3 years and especially after the first year when you walked the last 6 miles with Tracy B to keep her going when she was having a really rough time of it will be nice to see you again

• For those of you that haven't had your email through yet, if it is any comfort, I think I have received an identical email every few days for the last 2 weeks, at least 5 in total ! That would suggest that there are a few problems with the servers ..image

• VieuxLilleBlonde wrote (see)

I don't even know where my pain is. I am getting a 2nd chiropratic opinion tomorrow/Saturday so I guess they might tell me either way. 

I am exactly the same but even walking isn't hugely comfy.

Don't know if I can be bothered to walk the whole thing and just 'enjoy' it. That's not really why I run that far...!

Barry Lee 4 wrote (see)

Hello all,

I haven't posted on here much, but with one week to go I'm losing my nerve! Training in January and February went very well, averaging over 30 miles a week and pacing at around 8:15. Then came niggles to my knee and achilles. And a bit of snow. And a particularly stressful house move! So I found myself at the end of March having done no running for 3 weeks. Last weekend I went out for an 18 miler, and didn't feel too uncomfortable. Yesterday I did a HM in 1:47, and don't feel too sore today. I am confident I can get to 20 miles inside 3 hours. What happens to me then is an unknown. Is anyone else in a similar position? Should I conservatively aim for 4 hours? Or just finish? Or push on for a 3:45? This is my first marathon, and my PBs over other distances are HM 1:33, 10k 41:26 and 5k 19:45.   

One minute I'm dead excited, the next, nervous. Hope the weather will be something like today!

Baz x

Pretty much in exactly the same boat. Also moved house and my running dropped off.

Injury update: I'm now walking pain free image after wearing compression sleeves on my calfs all weekend, icing, ibuprofen, lots of stretching and lots of beet juice (used this plenty ofver the years, it does something but I'm not sure what or whether its just in my head).

So, I am running the marathon now. I was aiming for an achievable 3:30 but have now shifted my focus onto simply finishing. If I push too hard my calf will go again. It may go anyway.

Slightly frustrating but without a watch or GPS I may find I enjoy it even more, and then who knows.

Good luck all.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i'm all ready, good paced HM at Blackpool yesterday at 1:27 pace with a lot left in the tank - hopefully the weather can be as good on Sunday. First serious run in the new Adidas Boost and really happy with them. Met up and ran with a guy at mile 8 who had just diagnosed with MS and he wanted sub 1:30 so contgrats to him - makes you realise how lucky we all our to be still running with only aches and pains, puts everything into perspective.

• Yay, Gaz! That's great! 

I am going to the physio today but unless he tells me running the marathon will mean I damage myself indefinitely, I am going to give it a go.  

Good luck, might see you at the back. I'll be the one trying to enjoy it too.

• mano79 - tapering is cutting your running down in the last few weeks before a race to allow your body time to rest & heal and build up energy reserves ready for the big day. It is also therefore a period when your brain goes into overdrive worrying about tiny, stupid little things as a way of filling up the time when you feel you *should* be running!

SDRR Gaz - great news that you're going to run it - keep that calf sleeve on!!

Finally feeling human again after my cold - woke up and could actually breath this morning, so set off for a run. 3M run turned into 5M as it just felt so good, but I took it very easy (honestly!) and really enjoyed it. Have a mission to find an old fleece in the charity shops today .. wish me luck!

Oh - I was reading that often runners have 3 different scenarios in mind for how the race will pan out - like a Gold, Silver and Bronze finish. I think my 3 scenarios are_

Bronze - acceptable - finishing and beating last year's (injured) time of 6:07

Silver - Good - Any time beginning with a 5

Gold - Fabulous - under 5:15

Anyone else want to share their hopes??

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Dream day - sub 4:00

otherwise just as close as I can get!

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Gold - finally going sub 3 - got to find 6 minutes from somewhere

Silver - any time that is a PB so sub 3:06

Bronze - Sub 3:30

Can I add another - Diamond - after meeting that guy with MS at blackpool and running with him through 1:30 - just to be on that startline with full use of everything and being able to set goals like above - makes me realise how privilaged we all our to be able to follow such goals. Best of luck to everyone

• Andyc - fully echo your thoughts about a 'Diamond' level. At every race, when queuing up at the start I get all emotional. A mix of 'what am I doing here - I'm definitely old enough to know better??' and 'Blimey - I'm here, lining up at the start of a RUNNING RACE?? Way to go me!!' I always get a tear in my eye and feel so grateful that I can do itimage (however slowly!)

• Hello everyone. Long time lurker bit first time poster image This will be my second mara (first a 3:05 at Chester last year) and was looking for sub 2:55 however, the current weather forecast is not looking hopeful - southerly 22mph winds, gusting 46mph. Eek. Does anyone have experience of marathons in crosswinds? How much does it slow you down??
  •  

SDRR Gaz - best of luck. I will never attempt anything like marathon training while moving home again!

In fact RW should put this somewhere near the top of their training guide dos and don'ts for 2014.

• No, but I do remember them forcasting the same last year and it was fine.

I ignore the weather, it is what it is. Usually crap.

• Barry, horrible isn't it.

I still can't find my bloody watch!!!

• DF3 - erm - you're alright, thanks (backs slowly out of forum to avoid starting a stampede)