Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

That reminds me people - im off for a haircut this lunchtime - Ex con type along with Andy - shave every little bit of weight off!!!!! I have no idea what i am running in either - does it really matter (shorts and vest obviously not a 3 peice suit!!!).

Hmm saying that Berlin i wore a bloody charity vest which literally became bloody with chaffing... never again.....

• Options

JR you will be fine - the more nerves the more nervous energy you are building up - thats a good thing (providing you dont start off too fast). My best runs are always my nervous ones. - Makes this finish better a bigger high as well.

• Options

"That reminds me people - im off for a haircut this lunchtime"

pre-marathon haircut done this morning by the missus.  I'm hoping to feel the sun and wind in my No2 cut for one of the 1st times this year as it looks as if I won't need a hat to keep the bonce warm! 

I'll probably be wearing my Foska Pirate vest - http://www.foska.com/pirate-running-vest.html - as usual (maybe over a short sleeve black T but will see what the weather's like first before deciding that) - and as I am a rather large chap (think 16stone ex-prop type) with a white goatee, I should be easily recognisable.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Pre-marathon haircut this morning?  Are you mad?  You shouldn't try anything new that you haven't already road tested on a long run!  On your head be it.  Quite literally, obviously.

Andy/Paul - you are clearly underprepared.  You should consider defering.

If nervous energy is a good thing, I'm going to be up there with the Kenyans.

• Options

Goodness me - having already decided that it will definitely be shorts instead of the tights, I am now faced with the dilemma of long or short sleeved top .... I am favouring the long sleeves with ability to roll them up at the moment

• Options

Nice top buddha !!!! - Stick with just the top you wont need any t shirt underneath!

I'll watch out for you - did you do the brighton half marathon this year?

Tenjiso - I always think about defering. I honestly have never run a amarathon where I have felt 100% and been prepared. But i have tried a haircut in my other marathons and it seemed to work, so i think this has been tested. Any how who said i dont have any more long runds planned?????

Go get those Kenyans Tenjiso

• Options

think will be much too warm for long sleeves

• Options

"Nice top buddha !!!! - Stick with just the top you wont need any t shirt underneath!"

we shall see on the morning.  the problem that vest has is that it's a nipple shredder - learnt my lesson the hard way.image  the T I'm talking about is a very lightweight lycra one which acts as a great nipple barrier.  but if I think it's going to be too warm, that will be abandoned for nipple tape instead - no way am I suffering 26 miles of nipple shredding again!

and no - didn't do the half.

• Options
    Hi all, I'm staying at four seasons guest house so am going to walk to start. Not sure if anyone else is staying there. I walked to start last time nice and easy. It's good to stretch legs early before the marathon.

Glad Brighton is on for 6th April next yr before Easter hols. Means I can do race and then go on 3week holiday to Thailand, happy days!!!!!
  • Options
    chutneylocker wrote (see)

think will be much too warm for long sleeves

You could well be right ... will bring both along and see.

• Options

Just ran through Preston Park and up to the elite start - the Brighton Marathon team are there marking out the start and the barriers are all ready to block the side roads - getting close now!

• Options

Fat Buddha - If by any chance I do see you will you be offended if i shout out ' Fat Buddha'

I guess the same goes for anyone else on here - can we use forum names in the real world ?

• Options
    I'm walking to the start too. I'm staying at the travelodge Preston park image

Re haircut. I'll be sporting my usual aero dynamic Mach 3 shaved head.
  • Options
    chrisg9chrisg9 ✭✭✭

where has this cold come from - grrimage

• Options

i to have been out for a pre-race haircut this morning now just chilling out on the settee Snowmaiden did her last run this morning so now it's just one more run on Sunday

• Options
    kerrance wrote (see)

Fat Buddha - If by any chance I do see you will you be offended if i shout out ' Fat Buddha'

I guess the same goes for anyone else on here - can we use forum names in the real world ?

no problem at all

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

sat in work eating a jacket potato - farleys rusks all morning - belvita later - but totally sleepy!!! Does this carb loading send everyone to sleep? Also worried about the amount of people who have colds in the office - some visitor came yesterday who i met who informed me he had been ill with a virus for the last week - that meeting ended quickly!

• Options
    Andy I don't think you're eating enough cake!!!!!!!

My wife has a cough so I'm trying to avoid her more than I normally do at the moment. I know I'll wake up with it Sunday morning!!!!!
  • Options

yeah - Cake!!!!!! I work at a cake company so I'm alright - Im cake loading (rather than carb loading) all day!!! Easy life this marathon lark!

Just had new sporting haircut - left a bit on top to avoid the ex con look, and hope it does not slow me down too much!

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

did the victoria sponge last night image

Just seen the video from Fatboy Slim on youtube saying good luck - which one is his house then?

• Options

It's one on millionaire's row - Just after Hove lagoon and just before mile 20... I think

• Options

I am staying at the Jurys Inn Stroudley Road which looks like it is pretty close to the park.

• Options
    Paul Went wrote (see)

JR you will be fine - the more nerves the more nervous energy you are building up - thats a good thing (providing you dont start off too fast). My best runs are always my nervous ones. - Makes this finish better a bigger high as well.

Thanks Paul - I will start following a pace group to stop me blasting off too fast...I just have not decided if it will be the 3:45 group (which is what my MP runs have been at but probably means I am at risk of blowing up later) or 4 hour group (which is probably a bit slower than I am guessing I am capable of based on a couple of races recently).

Just did my last run and felt great (though was watching out for uneven pavement and potholes obsessively!!) 

Turning 40 this year can't believe I am about to do something I always dreamed of doing and started to think I would never do!  I feel more like a 14 year old right now with all this excitement/fear!

• Options

Can't believe I missed toenail pruning and haircut off of my training plan - what was I thinking?

Looking forward to the expo - I'm going tomorrow, which means I'll have my kids with me. They are aged 7 and 5, so should stop me staying too long and spending ages browsing all the goodies. image

Never been to an expo before - will it be busy tomorrow?

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    .Milou. wrote (see)

It's one on millionaire's row - Just after Hove lagoon and just before mile 20... I think

Correct. It's an odd place to be millionaires row, if I had a few million I wouldn't live there, the view from the front (the sea) must be good, but backing on to the docks, no thanks?

• Options

The Kit bags that get supplied, how big are they ? (i.e compared to LM bags which are a deecent size)

My Hotel check out time is 12, and I would rather a fair few beers after, than bothering travelling back to the hotel to collect a case.

• Options
    Hi does anyone know if there will be sub 4 hr pacers in the blue pen (4-4.30). My training has gone better than I thought and would like to try for sub 4. I asked them 2 weeks ago if I could change pen and they said no.

Liz, expos are great. It's one of my favourite parts of the marathon build up experience. I volunteered to get everyone's race packs at my club just because I love going to the expos so much
  • Options

Neil, same size as london mate.

• Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

O.M.G ..... hands up everyone who is as excited as I am????

Since you're not running Brighton and we are, I would safely assume most of us are more excited than you.