Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Katie, good to hear that things are healing up nicely. sounds like a good run. similarly AGF.

Englandlynda, re the Stockley 10K, I'd say "go for it". I always enjoy the shorter runs, and if you know you're not a front runner, just start at the back and see how it goes. You might even have fun passing a few folk on the way round -just remember to be nice to them as you do!

Yvonne, sounds like you've got your running mojo back! image

Karen, glad to hear things are still going well in the build up to the ultra!

gloryboy, nice to hear that you are building up the running again

Had my first race since BM yesterday. 3 forts half marathon. Was very pleased with how well it went. Started very slow the first couple of miles, then gradually increased the effort (pace varied a lot with incline!) and finished in a very respectable (for me) 1:46:24. Was very glad of my trail shoes tho, some folks were really struggling in the muddy conditions. I also began to rediscover how to run downhill image and actually passsed some folks on the downhill sections (not my usual tactic!) and am still feeling ok today. Adam A, how did you get on with the run?

Cat137, well done on the PB! parkruns are good fun and its always nice to PB as well image

colin E, 25 degrees, was that mentioned to gain sympathy ... or provoke jealousy?image Either way, enjoy the running image

MWW,hope the foot settles soon and you can get some more time on your feet.

Toby and family, good to hear the progress being made. Very encouraging start / continuation.

Waves to all imageimageimage

p.s. I forget who it was now (was it AGF?) but somebody on the 2012 thread mentioned about using the Hadd approach to training. If you're also on this thread, I'd be really interested to know how you felt it went and whether or not you managed to post a good time / PB at BM.

• Juggler, I used hadd principles. I only peaked at 55 miles so not true true hadd.... But basically 4 runs a week below 70-75% and then one tempo or sub threshold run. Vast majority of the runs were over 1hr. The sun 75% runs started above 10 miles and ended up sub 9min miles when rested.

Only done 1 marathon before when I crashed at 23 miles for 4:09. This time felt in control to an evenish 3:34 just 6 months later. Worked for me...
  • Sorry , that should say that the sub 75% runs started above 10min mile pace ... But improved to sub9 min miles at peak of training...
  • Morning all

Well gym session planed today weather in Bristol still petty atrocious so i kind of glad I’m in the garage today

• Thanks AGF. Info is much appreciated! I'm thinking of taking a similar route, i.e. 4 runs/week at or below 70-75%, running for minimum 1 hour and then a different session (tempo / hill reps / ...) 1x or 2x / week (1x/week initially!) Great improvement for you on the times, so that's really encouraging! Even if I can't match the 30+ minutes improvement, would be good if I can take another 6-7 minutes off (to get below 3:30 image)

Toby, enjoy the gym session!

• Nice one Juggler...    I Found that a 10 miler used to fill me with dread, now a, 65%, 10 miler in just over 90 mins is one of lifes pleasure, especially when running through country lanes !!!

The main drawback is the amount of time each week it takes up "just jogging". 

I like your plan. sounds spot on to me !!!

• Well tried the leg out today, first time since Brighton. Just a couple of miles on the treadmill and felt fine at the time and so far no pain or discomfort so fingers crossed it's healed.

Just need to make sure I now build up slowly and don't get carried away and knacker it again, although I know what I'm like image

• Hello All,

Still popping in even though I won't be doing Brighton next year.

I'm going for an interesting stategy for Beachy Head. The problem with me and Brighton is I don't have the hours to fit the training in, so I am trying a different regime. I cycle to work three times a week, swim on Sundays and then do one long run a week on Friday. My first was last week and I did 8 miles and loved being out running again.

I have signed up for personalised online training with an ironman athlete. He says the heart doesn't know who is training it so the cycling works for that and as long as I do some squats and stuff to work on leg strength it should work, although he thinks its an interesting idea too.

I'm not training for time for Beachy Head so it might work.

Waves to all

• Had two nice outdoor training sessions Sat/Sun, then torrential rain again Monday so back on the treadmill yesterday and today.  Might need to re-think the timing of my training sessions as it is generally dry when I get home from work and I am in danger of waking up mother in law in mornings when I have to use treadmill.

• Hi Rondo, good to hear from you, maybe we should set up a new thread - life after Brighton or something! Glad you are trying another marathon and a new strategy cant hurt any of us - Im training by hours not miles now which is different but a bit more relaxing.

All this talk about threshold has got me wondering now, I never train with a HR monitor but maybe its something to think about.

Poohbear, runs in the rain are not so bad, especially this time of year, you might like them, getting out the doors tough but after about 5 mins are you are soaked its all downhil.

• Karen, I am not a slave to the HRM... But it does give extra data that shows improvements... As with running in general it's not any individual run that counts but the trend over time. It helps give me confidence when we have those occasional taper self doubts. I like but each to their own....

Rondo... Good luck with the be regime a change is sometimes as good as a rest.

PoohB, keep up the super start to training. Good work. Are you noticing any differences ?
  • Poohbear - runs in the rain toughen you up, but more importantly they allow you the opportunity to bask in your achievement.  Also, if you never run in adverse weather, it means that if the worse happens for your race, you aren't prepared for it.  

• Morning all

Well did the gym session yesterday spent 10 minute on the bike rower and cross trainer plus weights then a 3 mile run on the treadmill

just 4 today Oh i do love training for 10k races

waves to everyone

• My track session was laughable! I am definitely not built for speed!

After a warm up, we were all asked to run as fast as we could around the 400 metre track. After 90 seconds a whistle would blow and we would have 60 seconds to recover with a light jog to get back to the start to do it all again. Needless to say, I was bringing up the rear and could barely get to the start before having to sprint at break neck speed again. Not pretty and my quads are v sore this morning.

Poohbear - I hate running in the rain but agree with englandlynda, it toughens you up and there is something extremely satisfying and smug about coming in from a run in the rain soaking wet.
  • am with Phoobear i to am going to wimp out and use the treadmill the hardest part i find in using it is choosing which film to watch as our DVD collection kinda got out of hand

• I registered for this a couple of weeks ago & the money has come out of my account, does anyone know if you are supposed to get any confirmation email or anything as I've not had anything?

Thanks

• Peter - Yes you should have got an email shortly after registering. Give the organisers a call.

• Thanks, I just rang & they confirmed I'm in & they've re-sent the email

• I appreciate everyones comments about training in the rain helps to prepare for whatever the weather throws at us on race days.  So will probably train in rain on weekends when I dont have to go to work after run - just about have time for quick shower and breakfast before heading out the door when I train early in the morning.

(AGF) - yes I am noticing a difference - I dont get out of breath quite so quickly now, have lost a couple of pounds too (without dieting)

• Evening all. Another beautiful day in sunny Spain. Even when the country is in financial turmoil and the banks are collapsing, when the sun shines it doesn't seem quite as bad. By saying that, my last few runs have been on the treadmill with the fan trying to cool me down.

Poohbear - keep it up. You seem to be into a routine which is great.

Fififava - I'm sure that track session would have done you some good dispite the sore muscles.

Juggler234 - Well done on the 3 forts half. You're right it is a very respectable time.

Toby3 - You should be watching Chariots of Fire on dvd image

• I'm doing Brighton in 2013... My first ever marathon! image

• Sarah Marsbar - Brighton 2012 was my first.  This forum gives useful (and fun) info, so get stuck in!

• I am also running this - first marathon. Excited!!

• Morning all

Well took the soft option yesterday and did the 4 miles on the treadmill i have 3 today so i really must get out for a run sometime this week but i am being a bit of a wimp at the moment

i have to say i am still struggling with my runs leg still feel heavy at the moment and i am struggling for some speed so yesterday run on the treadmill was speed work session wear by i increased the speed after every mile for the first 3 miles and then slowed it down for the last one

Sarah welcome to the tread

Colin prefer run fat boy run as that's what got me started on this running lark

• toby3 - Run fat boy run is my favourite too, the scene where he falls down the escalator after the spin classic gets me everytime. Not sure I could watch it whilst on the treadmill, would probably meet the same fate!

• Went outside for my training today, it was only fine drizzly rain so didnt get too wet. 

• Morning all

well got out for a run yesterday it was pouring down when i decided to go so don the wet weather gear and out i went only to find it had stopped i just could be bothered to go back in and change into a lighter jacket so of i went

Now i am trying to get some speed back so i was trying to push the pace along after about a mile i was wishing i had changed the jacket to say i was sweating like a pig would be an understatement

any way the whole 3 miles took me 27 minutes with a Avg pace of 8:54 m/m miles so not to back although again the pace drop slightly over the last mile by the time i got home i had sweat that much i think i would have been dryer if i had gone out with shorts and a t-shirt

well done Poohbear image

• Nice runs toby and Poohbear and a good pace there toby image

Emma G, Sarah M welcome to the thread. Enjoy the journey that is a first marathon! image

Did a nice flat 10 miler yesterday, with a few quick miles thrown in for good measure. Seafront was wet underfoot (No I wasn't actuall;y running in the seaimage), but not raining whilst I was running, so very enjoyable. image

• Like you toby 3 im trying to work on my pace did a 5 miler on treadmill yesterday not cos of the rain but im more constant with my speed on there...intersperced lots of fast pace a bit like a fartleck run....

Poohbear some steady serious training coming on there well done to you

Sarah marsbar.. quality name image although this is now the start of day 7 with no chocolate whatsoever and a serious drop in sugar in take has resulted in a 3 pound weight loss in 7 days so that should make me a little faster...

Hope you lovely people dont mind me posting even though im not doing brighton this year ....will come to support you all though....then hopefully ill run london the week after...