Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• 14th April is the race date and found somewhere that says that the entries open tomorrow for limited places.
  • Stig and Charlotte remember the mantra chocolate is the answer i don’t care what  the problem is chocolates the answer

Sussex Runner no not me as i spent most of yesterday afternoon a sleep in our apartment

• You're either all braver than I am, or in less pain. I'm glad I finished yesterday, but I'm not doing that again in a hurry.

Good luck! image

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for next year - deferred place from this year.  Really looking forward to it.image
  • Helen not braver just more fool hardy
  • Toby & Charlotte I couldn't agree more and trying to eat my body weight in chocolate.
    Helen as Toby says not brave but I personally was disappointed with my result do want to get stronger and quicker over the next year and smash this years time. I won't let it beat me
  • I'm going to try this one...but will be relying on you all to keep me motivated for training...did dublin a few years back but didnt train at all like i needed to....so going to start from scratch although im doing a bit ofrunning and do it properly this time image looks awesome..
  • mair keep posting in that case even before you start traing as we try to keep the thread going all year that way you build up a good rapore withe everyone and helps later when training starts in ernest

what’s for me now will enjoy the rest of the week here in Brighton it’s been another fantastic day here the weather was much like Sunday hot in the sun but quit nippy when in the shade then it’s back to training for the Bristol 10k in may

Would love to go sub 50 minutes for that i think i shall do this year what i did last and only run the distances i need for races i am training for then i may need to find a race sometime between May and August to fill in

As i then have the GNR on the 15th September the Bristol H/M when i get some money to enter it on the 30th September and the Cricklade H/M on the 7th of October?

then it nearly time to start again for Brighton

• Registration is from 9am tomorrow on BM website.
  • definately will be thinking of doing it again as magnificent day yesterday , just hope we will be blessed by an incredible almost run free winter down here on south coast again image
  • Hi one and all, next year will be my first marathon and I know I have a place because I signed up at the Expo with my Dad (Toby3). Heard how great the Brighton Marathon is, seen the race a couple of times myself and there's no way I can be outdone by dad now, is there?

I'd just be happy to get around, sub4 would be lovely but just finishing would be awesome too.
  • I deferred this year, but looking forward to taking part in 2013. Have any other deferrers had their email asking for re-registration yet?
  • Steve nothing yet, getting a bit anxious and wondering whether I should go for a regular entry.
  • Steve & Gory Boy i may be wrong but when you go into the entry page there were three options last year for this year’s race 1 for normal entries 1 for deferred places and 1 for granted place for those who signed up at the Exbo

Though john 2443 who looks and sound like he’s on the Brighton team posted this on the 2012 thread

Re not getting a response from the team about your missing times, all the team and a gang of us volunteers have been busy all day clearing up at the Hilton, getting remaining kit off the street and doing the finish line at 3.30pm for the guy who moon walked it (!?!) so there won't have been any coverage of phones or email in the office so they aren't ignoring you, just no time to do it today, I expect things will get back to normal as the week progresses.

• Hi SnowMaiden the parcel should be with you some time before 1pm Wednesday so you need to be in to signe for it

• Toby3 Thank you, thank you, thank you
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Following is from an e-mail I received when I deferred this year's place

" Within two weeks of the 2013 Brighton Marathon entries opening (date TBC), you must enter via the specific "2012 Deferrals" category offered via our online entry system, filling in all details as requested. You will be emailed to notify you when this is available."

So no need to worry just yet.

Toby3 I too have a place in GNR this year - first timeimage

• Snowmaiden - welcome, excellent that the three off you have all signed up for next year!

My husband took quite a few photos on Sunday and failed to get me in any of them, but I appear to have 2 of Lombster (2012 thread)!

I have a guaranteed expo entry so will probably leave it a few days before entering - if I can resist.

I wonder if the Brighton marathon organisers could organise the weather for London, its looking like I may get quite wet.
  • This will be my first marathon next year - got a dodgy hip at the moment so I'm hoping I can get it sorted soon.image
  • Charlotte good luck with London. I'd be interested to hear your comparisons between brighton and London.

Surreychick you have plenty of time, don't rush it as may end up doing more harm than good. Make sure it's right first.

• Just completed my entry for next year

Now to break the good news to my Fiancee...
  • hmmmm......

I was thinking my marathon days were done (am taking this year off anything long and enjoying the break) but I'm kind of hankering to do this one again as it's a big birthday year for me next year and the pull of this is definitely there. it would also be 10 years since my 1st marathon (London) and I'm more minded to do Brighton again than London.

hmmm.....
  • trigger this is my first GNR i have made this one my charity run for the year, normally i get my own place and then run for a charity as that way they are happy to take what you can raise

But i haven’t had much luck with ballots in the past so took up a charity place. The charity i am running for is called ‘Dreams Come True’ and, as the name suggests, make dreams come true for terminal ill kids and young adults.  They only want you to raise a minimum  £250 sponsorship, with a £40 registration, but the £40 comes of the minimum sponsorship which takes it down to £210 which i think in this day and age and taking in the way things are at work just now is an achievable target  and so i have been saving a £5 a week to help to cover this just in case

I did have a looked at a lot of the bigger charities, but they were asking for £300 to £400 plus the registration fee, which i personally feel is extortionate as when i run Brighton last year for Sparks they only wanted £500 and that’s for a full marathon

I did have a look at the ballot for the GNR thinking I could defer my place if i got in to next year but i refuse to pay £48 for a half marathon GNR or no GNR we also had provisionally booked a hotel in Newcastle for 2 nights and they wanted just under £300 pounds for 2 nights for me and the other half

We are only paying £500 for the week here and that’s with the daughter staying with us for 3 nights as well

We have now however booked a self catering Caravan and transfers from the camp site, which takes me to the start and then the wife onto the finish and us both back to the camp site after the race for £280 for 3 nights

So this will be my one and only GNR but it’s one of those races you have to do for the experiences and atmosphere and just to say i done the GNR

• Just entered via the website!!!

Love it!!!

• Erm....I seemed to have accidentally signed up for 2013.

What does the long range weather forecast look like?

DF

• Sunny, no wind and around 10 degrees C.  Perfect PB weather!!!

image)

• Is the current entry for a set number of entries or limited to certain period like last year? 
  • Jolyon Bland - it says limited number, but no idea how many. I seem to remember entering a bit later on in the day last year