Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Totally agree with you poohbear I'm sticking to treadmill during the week - too dark to go out at night after work and I don't get time in the morning either, looking forward to the lighter days! 5 miles on the treadmill tonight was going to rest tomorrow as legs are heavy and tired but we are forecast 4 inches of snow Friday so will probably go tomorrow and get in the runs while I can in case the weekends plans get snowed off
  • 6am, pitch dark and about -4 degrees. The temptation to stay in bed almost overwhelmed me. How could I face the RW forum though if I stayed in bed?? By the timing I was running along the cliff tops, watching the sun rise over the sea, I was soooo glad I'd made the effort. 12 miles of icy hills and frozen fingers - then home to find that someone lovely had left the heating on for me.

Be careful you treadmill runners - it sounds just as dangerous as icy roads. Keep up the excellent running - at this rate someone here is going to win this marathon!!
  • Brrr.

Just to add my tuppence to the debate, I prefer to do my speed work outside, but only if I'm running with someone. I find I need the extra push/motivation to do speed sessions.

I quite like running in the dark: I've now got a head torch, which has opened up a whole new world of night running. I appreciate it's a different kettle of fish for lone female runners though.

Did 7 miles yesterday, 3 today, so still vaguely on track. Oh, and I appear to have agreed to run the Paris Marathon next year. Not sure how I walked into that.
  • I'm lucky that I can run during the day. Don't blame anyone for treadmilling if you have to go in the dark. I'm supposed to be doing 12 miles on Friday - snow forecast here (finally!) So I'll have to just see how it goes. Might be envying you people with treadmills!
  • morning all

here's another one for the treadmill 5 mile recovery run on it  for me yesterday which involves walk half a K run half a K as i said before though Me and Poohbear have moved our treadmill in to the living room and set it up by the Television which helps kill the boredom

• As with Wordslinger I've got a head torch thanks to my husband (Christmas pressie) and I now love going outside to do speedwork. It's safe to run alone here, so it's more about keeping eyes open for traffic/pot holes etc etc. I do use treadmills, but not that often - I love the sense of freedom and fresh air - but having said that you can't cheat a Garmin!! What is says is what you did........image

Good running everyone and take care if you have snow - forecast is for Friday here but unlikely to be much. image

• Great run with St. Albans striders running club. Went with the 9min group 5.6miles including some very steep hills. Great to go out with a group, not sure I would have gone out otherwise. It was very cold out there, think this predicted snow might stop me going out tomorrow.Hope to be able to go out for my long run Sunday.
  • morning all

did a 5 mile recovery run on the treadmill on Wednesday and walk to and from work tonight so that's another 6 miles it is snowing here at the moment but more like rain than snow so it's not pitching so hopefully the 20 will still be on when i get up

• morning all

walk to and from work tonight so that's another 6 miles it is snowing here at the moment but more like rain than snow so it's not pitching so hopefully the 20 will still be on when i get up

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Have you been drinking Toby? image

• Walk to work for me today as my car only has to look at the snow to decide it would rather go in circles than in a straight line.  Hoping the forecast is wrong as I wanted to try for 20 miles at the weekend, if its right it will have to be an enforced easy week for me as I wont be able to get to the gym and the roads around me are little country roads that dont get gritted.

• We have snow!!! Fortunately not meant to be running today anyway but should be doing 16 miles on the roads tomorrow, hopefully it will have cleared by then as it is meant to warm up. Don't think I could do 16 on a treadmill!
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Lovely 7 miler in the snow this morning image

I know others hate it, but I love this weather for running, coming back with ice on your eyelashes and hair but still being warm is amazing.

• Curly45 what shoes do you wear? My road shoes are Inov8 ones great but no grip whatsoever, I do have a pair of off road ones - vivobarefoot trail shoes would they be ok?????

Well done for being out there btw!

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Just my normal nike frees - they are basically flat on the bottom. Trick is to run with shorter strides so as to minimise the amount of time you are off balance. Its much safer running than walking imo as you arent in contact with the ground very long so less chance of slipping.

• Curly - well done on getting out running! I have run in snow before, and as long as you avoid the hard packed icy stuff where cars have driven it was okay. However I'm meant to be doing 12 miles today and I reckoned my feet would freeze after about 3, so I put it off and hopefully will be able to get out over the weekend. I *hate* having cold feet - my feet just hurt image

Tillstar - sounds same as us. Little country lanes to negogiate before you get to the gritted roads, so not easy to drive. The car is hidden by a pile of snow anyway!

• Hi all,

Just a quick question, does anyone know if the Brighton marathon course is changing from last year (to make it flatter) as there is reference to this on the website.

Happy running in the snow everyone and roll on the 14th of April!

• Well done Curly - your post made me "man up" and I did a 10 miler this afternoon in the fresh snow. Feel smug now - just like you mentioned - so I am pleased that I did and I am still on track/ahead of schedule for my training.... thats for the inspiration/kick up arse to get me out there!!

• Curly, you put us all to shame! I'm following your lead and am going to 'man up' for a 6km cross country race in the snow for my uni tomorrow morning- which means guilt-free Thai green curry cooked by the boyfriend tonight!

• boy was i wrong Bristol ground to a halt but wasn't as brave as Curly with my running today and did the 20 miles on the treadmill but because ours is only a basic one and the distance display only goes up 9.99k broke it down into 4x 5 mile sections with a short brake in between to cool down had have a change of shirt

Debutant funny you should as i email them about that this week still waiting for a reply which i will post when and if i get one

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

5m treadmill this evening.

Debating whether to chance tomorrow's 12m run outside.  The trail part will be fine, but the pavements are still very icy..... so I don't know yet.

• 20 miles on the tready ? Jees ! Well done - remarkable feat, I simply couldn't do it. 3-4 inches of snow here, looking forward to running in it - I love it. Stay offroad and you won't slip, and because you expend more effort don't worry about the mileag being as much as your schedule dictates image
  • Well done everyone some amazing commitment shown here and some great running image you have all made me feel very guilty and have just dug out my leggings for a cold run tomorrow - thank you :0)

Can I run a marathon on just sports drinks? I have done up to 16 miles before on just a bit of lucozade sport
  • Managed to squeeze a cheeky 6 miles in this morning before the snow arrived. It started falling at 9am and hasn't stopped. Love running in the snow but tomorrow is a rest day - boo. Maybe it'll stick around for Sunday's long run with the training group. My car's like yours Tillstar, so I'll be adding an extra 4 miles to the official 12 miler, getting to the start then home again.

I tried your core workout routine Curly - it's brutal - my ribs ache!! Respect to you. Will give it another go next week and see if I can make the full minute on each exercise without needing medical attention afterwards. Forum folks, if you haven't tried it yet, do give it a go!
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

LOL about the core routine Pickle! Yep its tough - but only 30 mins a week so I love it (and so does my six pack image)

Well done everyone getting out there or on cranking through the dreadmill runs, espeically Toby image.

Got 20 tomorrow rescheduled from Sun which will be fun I think, will go to 16-17 and make a decision from there if the rest is worth is as it does take a lot more out of you on the long runs. Looking for 60 miles this week though so I know I will want to do the whole lot image

Interesting about the course change - do let us know if you hear anything Tenijso.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Oh and good luck at the XC Sarah

Tilstar I'm planning on running it unfueled so the answer is yes. However, a few questions to ask yourself:

If you believe that you need to input x amount of carbs per y miles to run a marathon then will a sports drink provide that unless you drink a huge amount?

I suspect the answer will be probably not. To work out x and y visit one of the drinks manufcturers websites...

Personally I dont believe that you need to fuel at all, provided you are running at in intensity where your body can burn fat as the primary fuel source. You raise this intensity by training without fueling and encouraging the body to burn fat. Not everyone wants to do this as its not easy (potential to flake out on long runs is high). It also doesnt preclude fueling on race day providing your stomach can handle it. If you going to fuel then I would reckon shot blocks which they give out will be the best option...

• Thank you for the informative post Curly45 I have never bothered with fuelling before and would prefer not to but you hear so much about gels i wasnt sure.  Thanks I will definitely aaim to follow your lead and do it unfuelled but guess its just a case of experimenting on long runs and seeing how I go.  Also thank you for posting the core routine i needed to expand what i was doing so that is great.  Not sure i will think its so great when I ache tomorrow morning :0)

8.5 slow snowy miles for me today after I finally kicked myself out the door - was a bit too slippery to go as fast as I would have liked so turned it into a free run and just ran where the feeling took me

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

There has certainly been an eclectic mix of conditions so far during this marathon campaign!

Fresh snowfall overnight covered the ice, so I decided it should be safe to run outside.  Twelve enjoyable miles - very picturesque along the trail.  It was harder work than normal, of course, but I ran at my normal pacing for the run.

This caps off my recovery week - 37m.  Next week increases to fifty miles with a long run of eighteen miles.

• Well done Tillstar and Tenjiso on your runs today. 

16 miles today for a 67 mile week. 45 miles in the last 3 days - so tomorrow I will be cooking a roast, having a glass of wine and resting..... image

• Good running everyone despite the weather conditions!

I managed 15 today should have been 16 though, but legs had no energy.........

Not too much snow here after yesterday's fall, but odd bits of slippery stuff to look out for.

Negative split run for me tomorrow and hopefully I will feel a bit more energised!

Carly - what's your core routine ?