Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Hi everyone, SnowMaiden here. No the snow is not my fault. image

Been a while since I was on the forums, but a certain someone poked me about it so I thought I should probably get back on (waves at Toby) and say hi to everyone.

Rather proud of myself today, I managed eight miles in just under 2 and a ¼ hours, which was much better than I was expecting. Had to do it on the treadmill of course, I ran halfway home from work in the snow last night, which was about half a mile but that was only because I was throwing snowballs at people and got chased. Once the snow clears I’ll go back to road training, I was rather enjoying doing my runs on the way home from work, especially on a Thurs when I tend to pass quite a few runners.

On a new diet too. My housemates (one of whom does all the cooking since I cook all day at work and don’t want to when I get home) started using the Hairy Biker’s Guide to Dieting and as such I’m on it too. It’s all been really tasty so far, but I’m finding the portions a little small. Toby and Poohbear have suggested bulking up the meals with veg and snacking on fruit and sugar free jellies which I quite like the sound of.

Anyway, nice to be back and sorry for vanishing for so long.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Nice run Tenjiso sounds like a good ease back week from you!

Wow AGF you have earned that rest tomorrow. Blimey.

And good running Jelley too. The core routine (not mine I just got given the link by my coach a few years ago) is here:

http://vimeo.com/9807775

I'll repeat what I said last time - when you start off doing it, hold each for 20-30 secs rather than the full minute or it will be too hard. 3 times a week is what I do.

Welcome Snowmaiden (or welcome back), hope you can get back out there soon, but good tready work in the meantime. I think their program looked interesting, but wasnt sure about some of the meals as the looked a bit low carb. Am sure its fine but just watch your energy levels.

20 miles for me today. Slow but done, felt great throughout though and was lovely out there, mix of ice, snow and slush and mixed terrain so great for strength which will come in handy in the latter stages of the race I am sure. OH who also ran is now cooking dinner too and treacle tart for pud image

• Hi snow maiden! Nice to hear from you was only wondering the other day how you were getting on. Well done on the running and I hear that hairy bikers book is really good one of my colleagues uses it and makes me feel very hungry every day telling me his latest cooking from it
  • Mmmmmmmm, treacle tart.....don't think the hairy bikers would approve. But after 20 miles you sure do deserve it!
  • 8 miles today on treadmill in 1hr 50 mins so getting faster.  I quite liked what treadmill said at end of run though as it only goes up to 100 mins before starting again and it looked like I had run it in 10 mins.  Dont think I will ever be that fast though!

Snow still on ground here so not safe to run outside as we live on hills.

Good running for everyone this weekend.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

I admire people who can run so many miles on the treadmill. I'm sure its hard work.

I have done my one 5, two 6, and one 7 miles this week. Tomorrow I have my 15 miles (again!) to do.

Only 85 days to the Brighton Marathonimage

• Hi everyone, snow is falling thick and fast again up here so I don't think I'm going to get outside for a run. Was hoping it would start melting by now not get worse, still once the snow dies down a bit I might see if I can drag my housemates out for a snowball fight.

Curley: *waves* The food is really tasty but I've been having slightly larger portions of pasta with the dishes that have it so I don't cut too far down on the carbs.

Tillstar: Had a couple of misfires at the start of the training between chesty coughs and the like but fully underway now. It's been really nice to come home to the smells of my housemate cooking from the book after a long day at work. It's been enough to make my mouth water.

Picklelilly: Rofl, you certainly deserve it. I'll have a nice fruit salad instead.

Poohbear: Hi Mum. If you'd done that many miles in 10 mins you should enter the Olympics next time image You'd take all of the medals. 

Kathy H: 84 now, scary thought isn't it?

• Hi everyone :0) snow has been falling heavily since 730 this morning so no running for me today.  Cant get the car off the drive so no gym treadmill and its so slippery and wet outside that its out of the question today which is a real shame as I was hoping to tackle 20 miles for the first time.  Been doing some core work and walking the dog instead but itching to go out for a run, just dont fancy soaking feet within a few minutes of setting out.  Will have to walk to work tomorrow as the car isnt going to be able to get off the drive anytime soon but may run home if it clears up a bit.  Go away snow I want to run! Waves to all :0)

• Yikes only 84 days to go - I think I'm having a crisis of confidence - can I REALLY do it???

Anyhow snow all gone here - so negative split run today 20 mins easy 15 medium and 5 hard managed 7.15 mins at the end but shoulders get really tight and end up by my ears!!

Poohbear fab running on the treadie!

Sorry to those of you who can't run - what about stretching or trying those core workouts posted above by Curlyimage

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

7 for me this morning in falling snow, takes me to 60.1 this week image

Jelley tight shoulders is a common side effect of running hard. Little tip is to practice running with your hands lightly clenched but your thumbs up, it does something weird that seems to bring your arms down and release the shoulders. If you want to practice good running form with faster turnover, work strides into one of your easy runs every week - thats 75m of faster running in a really smooth and controlled manner. It takes time but eventually you should find when you run fast you will move towards the same form you can get in your strides.

Oh and YES YOU CAN DO IT. This is the time when the training is working but may not be obvious yet. Trust in the plan. 

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

More info on strides here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/qa-what-are-strides/2193.html

That description of its what the fast runners do before races is a brilliant one, but you can work 5-6 into a 5 to 6 mile run quite easily.

• 10 miles for me in the snow this morning. Loved every minute.
  • After a quiet day yesterday, it resumed snowing at about 7am here and kept it up all day. Had a 14 miler with the training group at 9am and it was pretty extreme! Very hilly with snow in deep drifts, but that snow and ice didn't bother me - oh no - because I have 'Yaktraks'!! It was their maiden voyage and they worked a treat once I figured out how to put them on my trainers. I may only need them once or twice a year, but being able to get out and run through this winter wonderland felt amazing. Also, someone lovely had put my dressing gown on the radiator by the front door for when I got back - bliss!
  • Evening all! Great to hear all this fantastic running that's been going. I bottled out of my run on Friday because it was a blizzard here. Set off on Saturday and managed 8 miles through the snow and ice. It was incredibly hard work though, so I reckon that counted as my 12 mile LSR - where the S stands for snowy image

I tried out one of my Christmas presents - 'Icebiters'. They strap over your shoes and have little spikes in. They were amazing and worked brilliantly. I highly recommend them. I ran past people who were slipping and sliding whilst out walking, and the expression on their faces was so funny - a cross between amazement and disbelief!
  • Picklelilly - my Icebiters sound like your Yaktraks - amazing, aren't they!

Curly45 - thanks for the encouragement. As I was slogging through the snow I was thinking about how the training has to be hard work so that the race will seem easier (well- I hope so!) Not sure I'm brave enough to try the abs workout...

Snow maiden - well done on the diet. And the running of course!
  • Morning all!

Saturday's XC in the snow went well, but as soon as I stopped running I was limping with what felt like a pulled muscle in my groin. I replaced yesterday's planned 14 miler with 2 hours on a bike in the gym (yawn!) at a similar intensity to my long run, and lots of stretches and it seems much better.

Hopefully a sports massage this afternoon will allow me to do today's planned 5 miler (on the treadmill, possibly, as Leeds is very snowy today!) . 

Well done to all of you still training well, the miles in the winter will mean big rewards in the spring! image

• afternoon all

well 8 miles done on treadmill today as the pavements are still covered in compacted snow and ice but at the rate it's melting at the moment i could well be out for a run tomorrow

• Well done Toby - Your on track. Btw - every lb lost in weight is said to be worth 2sec/mile. So your weight loss see's you well below sub 4image

Hope it recovers for you sarah - well done on the cross training.

A 10.5 miler today with the dog out in the snow. Once out in the coutrylanes was easy enough to run on the snow image ........Lulu ( black lab) loved it !!

• 13m in the Sussex snow cross country with the club yesterday (25 of us - we got several odd looks !). Incredibly hard, several of the marathon training newbies found it a massive struggle and were close to bonking - 3-4 inches of snow, with soft mud underneath a lot of the time. Very, very slow (took longer than my 17m road run last week) but brilliant for strengthening the legs and developing endurance.

I've got some YakTraks as well - they are brilliant. Didn't use them yesterday as not really needed offroad, but superb on icy pavements and compacted frozen slush on the roads.

• Well done to everyone for persevering in the freezing weather!

Curly thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I have a 5 km race tomorrow evening so I'll try to remember how to relax!

Snow's all gone here - mixture of relief all back to normal and sadness - snowman is melting and the dogs are disappointed!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

10m on the treadmill this evening, including 5m at threshold pace.  Felt so much tougher than running outside. My heart rate averaged 5bpm to 10bpm per mile higher than on my previous outdoor threshold run, even though I was a little slower.

The snow is in no hurry to go around this way.  The kids were off school today image

If I can manage the tightness in my calf (caused by the previous run in the snow), I'll hopefully get back outside for my midweek MLR.  I certainly hope I don't have to do next week's threshold session on the treadmill.

• Thanks AGF- got in my planned 5 miler outdoors in the snow this evening, took it super steady but my leg felt alright, stiff but not painful, so fingers crossed! image

• Morning all

had a light shower of snow just before i came home from work stop now so i am hoping that will be that all though if the icebiters i ordered yesterday arrive i may well get to try them out if it starts again

• Hello all, my notification thing hasn't been working so tried reading back but too much missed.

Wanted to ask locals about the park & ride sites mentioned in the latest email from organisers. I'm staying near Eastbourne and was wondering which of the 3 would be easiest to get to?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Toby - which icebiters did you order?  I looked at the x-country ones then realised that they were discontinued image

• Morning all, and congrats to everyone who's kept running in the snow.

My running hasn't been too badly affected - managed a ten miler on pretty much snow-free tracks on Sunday, and will be heading out for a lunchtime 4 miler later.

Looks like I need to invest in new shoes too as the treads are pretty worn (especially on my right heel). Time to get another gait analysis done, I think, and time to raid the piggy bank.

• Hello all. Postponed my 16 miles on Sunday as all of the pavements were lethal ... going to do it this Sunday instead. I am doing 3 x 5 miles this week to make up a little of the missed distance, first one was last night, and most of the pavements are now fine. Trying to be sensible and not catch up all of the missed distance in one go as that is when injuries start .. but v.keen to try out the bananas and jelly babies on a long run as previously advised !! Hope no-one has suffered any snow/ice related injuries out there.

• /members/images/535370/Gallery/icebiters.jpg

Ice Biters Snowdon Ice Grippers Shoes Accessory

• Yak Traks (although have to say I like the look of the Ice Biters too)

https://www.yaktrax.co.uk/shop/yaktrax-pro

• I got these ones http://www.primrose.co.uk/biters-mini-beacon-grippers-with-protective-p-56203.html?cPath=37_2348&src=list_img although I'm sure mine came from Amazon. Highly recommended (of course - the snow will now melt!)

6 miles ths morning - without the ice biters as its mostly gone from the roads & lanes now. Still managed to find a few slippy bits, and some fluffy snow for trudging in. Felt hard though - think my legs are fed up of the cold now.