Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Picklelilly well done to you for keeping going it would have been so easy to give up i have to say Poohbear has come a long way as i did suggested we cut the run short at 11 miles as she was tiered and was struggling a little but she refused to give up there would been a time she would have jumped at the chance

Jellybaby we’ve just ordered a box of Cilf shot bloks online from Harris active sport i used them before they are very good i ordered the last lot of Gels on a Monday and they came Tuesday

Running Guy hope your O/H feels better soon

Snowmaiden well done you on the 10 miles but a slap on the wrist for the cavalry imagemake shore you rest the ankle and knee  

• Some seriously good running for everyone here!

I cut short yesterday's planned 15 miler at 9 miles because my hip just didn't want to play. Taking a couple of rest/swimming days before I see the physio on Wednesday- praying it's just tight muscles or something so I can be running again soon!

• So the snow has gone only to be replaced by rain and very strong winds. 6 miles in the dark, in the rain and wind, with glasses on and one lens covered due to double vision, during rush hour = one very tricky run. And you know what?...I loved it!

Quiet on here today. Maybe it's a Monday thing? I'm only giving myself Saturdays and Wednesdays off!
  • Sarah - hope the hip's okay. Sounds wise to cut your run short,however frustrating it may be.

RunningGuy -well I'm glad you enjoyed your run today. I went out first thing, just 3 for me, and managed to avoid the worst of the weather image

7 tomorrow, so hoping the wind drops at least before then.

Just started re-reading 'The non-runners marathon trainer' for some inspiration and encouragement for the ever increasing runs that are coming up. Anyone else read it?
  • 10K on the treadmill today in 1 hr 20 mins and 20 secs. 

Black and Tabby - that is the book that me and Snowmaiden are following to help us finish the marathon.  Did you use that programme on your first marathon too?

Sarah - hope your hip gets better soon.

• Sorry been off this site for the past two weeks. I have done two park runs in St Albans and Wimpole and finishing 5k in 22:24 and 24:29. Nice little runs at a faster pace I have put into my training. Also was in Latvia last week and did 5 gym work outs with loads of weights and 30 minutes on the treadmill every day, and spent a morning with a group called 'The Outdoor Training Club' based in Riga, and ran 14k in -17 temps and ice/snow. It was great fun despite the ice forming at the end of my eye lashes! Managed to do 60 minutes on the treadmill yesterday but no training today. Back on the treadmill tomorrow. image

• (Slips in quietly through side door)

76 days to go, 75 in 2 minutes time!

I'd better shake a leg, as they sayimage

• I have read it b&t.... Remember the steam train ability.... Very good that !!
  • morning all

just 5 miles yesterday as i over slept and by the time i had gone to my Weight Watchers meeting that was all i had time for went under my target weight yesterday am now 10st 11lbs a loss of 2st 9lbs so after 2 years of saying i must get down to 11st for Brighton this year i will be

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Congratulations Toby! image  

• B&T - Toby told me it was you that recommended the book in the first place, so thank you for that, as it gives some very good advice to those of us who are new to distance running.

• Good job Toby, impressive!

• TGF - nice to see you again!! Yikes only 75 days to go!  BTW are you doing GSR again this year??

toby3 and Pooh bear - great work both of you, well done!

Sarah - hope the physio helps and Daniel -wow latvia training fantastic - not for me though I'd end up hypothermic within about 30 seconds.

Just a thought.....is 1.5 miles too far to walk on the marathon morning - we're staying near the pier and need to get to the park does it sound ok to walk slowly - and probably eat and drink at the same time??? Sounds a stupid question now I've asked it image

• Hi everyone, just thought I would introduce myself as from what I have seen this seems like a very friendly helpful forum! 

Brighton will be my first marathon, very much a beginer to running, started after watching my sister doing London last April, Did a half marathon in October but have been a bit lazy since then so am builiding it up again! Managed 13 miles on sunday (think I need to slow down my long runs as am still pretty achey from it today), and have got 14 miles to look forward to on saturday.  Everyone seems to be doing very well and dedicated here! 

• Hi all,

Yes, I'm still around, even if I've been quiet on here lately. Still enjoying the running, and got through a 16 miler on Sunday with no problems. (2hrs 34mins - and that's the furthest I've run since the Berlin Marathon in September. Happy enough with the time and happier that there were no lasting aches!)

Welcome, Sian! Good going by the looks of it!

Great work everyone!

• thanks everyoneimage

the shot bloks we ordered arrived to day you can't bet them on service we only ordered them Sunday

• well 8 done very wet and wind swept miles for me today time wise the run took 1:16:30 and looking back is about the same as last year mind you the pace went from 9:30m/m to 11:30 in the last mile as i hit a wicked head wind so it may have been quicker

• Hi everyone,

Its been a while. I have the Thames Trot 50 on Saturday and then I am back to marathon trainingimage

Toby - well done with the ongoing weight loss.

Green Fairy - thanks for the count down

It looks like I will have to read back quite a few pages. I hope everyone is o.k and the running is going well.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Well done Toby image

Jelley that shouldnt be too much of an issue - slowly does it though. Don't know if you guys know, but the main thing on marathon is to try and keep as relaxed as possible before the race as getting nervous can lead to too much bouncing around wasting energy!

I didnt put the sub 3:15 request in, in the end, and it looks like I wouldnt have got into that pen anyway, but they are calling it "elite" start (hah) and giving them an easier start without the hill. Should have put the request in...every little helps as they say, but too late now!

• Due to the wet weather before work, I managed to get 01:10:00 on the treadmill, and did 12.26km (about 7.7miles) today and did sprints, fast paceing walking, jogs and steady runs, to give my body and heart a bit of a shake up. Hopefully be back on the road tomorrow to do a LSR.

• Poohbear - yes, I remember now recommending the book! I didn't follow their schedule, did one in the VLM magazine. After I was injured and decided to still try and do the marathon, I needed every bit of encouragement I could get. The book was recommended to me as well!
  • Jelleybean - I was recommended last year to take a bin bag with me to the start to sit on, to save my legs as much as possible!

Curly 45 - would have been cool to start in the 'Elite' start image

Green fairy - eek!

Don't remember the 'stream train' from the book - must read on!
  • finally got a reply to my question about the course changes

HI,

The course will be the same this year as last, but we are always looking for ways in which we can minimise the number of hills involved. The only difference this year is that the Elite runners will be starting from a different point.

Kind Regards,

BM Team

• Did a soggy four miles yesterday and a very windy eight miles this morning. Enjoyed them though.

Can't believe the race is ten weeks on Sunday. image

• Good hill session for me today - bit blowy in the wind but at least the rain held off!

10 weeks on Sunday  image lots of training still to do - but taking it steady -  aim to do 16 mile on Saturday for me which will be my longest run so far.

How steep is the hill or is it more of an incline?

• enforced rest day today body finally said enough a enough so have got up late and then spent the biggest part of the afternoon asleep on the settee

• Green Fairy - hope you are well image Count down must mean your getting excited.

Did 14 miles on Monday image