Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Thank you all for you words of wisdom. I haven't run for nearly three weeks now. Had horrible few weeks and sadly my father died last weekend. I am missing the running as it is therapy for me, may try a few gentle miles tomorrow and see how it goes.

A quick question, my last LSR was 12 miles on 12th January, how many miles should I aim to get up to if I can manage a long run next weekend?

• Afternoon all

Well Longleat 10k done and dusted glad to say not a Lion in sight alarm went off at 6.30am had my usual toast and a cup of coffee for breakfast then up to do my stretches by this time it was time to get changed to go  we were out the door by 8.10am the journey down was uneventful and the sat nav did it jobs and  got us there we arrived 9.10 and by the time we queued up for the loo and wondered back to the car to put our numbers on then back to the loo for Poohbear it was time to make our way to the start

i did ask the Poohbear if she wanted me to run with her but she kindly said it was time for me to have a go for a PB so as i past the correct pen we parted company was only stood there a couple of minutes before the race got under way

The 1k was a steep climb up hill followed by a nice run down again i did my usual trick of trying to catch the person in front and for a while chased a very speed lady before passing her on the next steep climb had no real idea of pace although i did look at the Garmin and try to keep it in the 8m/m range

7k came and went before i knew it and the km seem to be flying by 7 to 8k involved the same steep climb that you had done on the first 1k which did mean however there was a nice downhill run to the finish

Couldn’t’ contain myself when i look at the time on the Garmin as i crossed the line for it read 49:26 a new PB by 3 minutes and my first ever sub 50 minute 10k just down loaded the splits they were as follows

8:57, 7:12, 7:44, 7:58, 9:02; 7:15 giving me an Avg pace of 7:58m/m

then i wondered back to the point where you start the second loop and waited for the Poohbear to pass quick visit to the loo and back to the finish to cheer Poohbear  home

will let Phoobear tell you how she got on

• Congratulations Toby! Great time :0)
  • Well, I survived Longleat - the only lion that I saw was on the medal which I got when I finished, though did see a deer running across a field at one stage of the race.

Didnt quite expect all the hills that were on the course and thought I would struggle getting a good time as each 1k was taking me an average of 8.37 mins to complete, then got to the downhill stretches and speeded up a bit.  The last 1.5k was all downhill and I enjoyed running as fast as I could and overtaking people who had overtook me earlier in the race.

I hadnt been checking my watch after the 5k mark as I didnt want to get disappointed by the time, but when I stopped my watch as I went through the finish line was amazed to see that my time was 1hr 18mins 49secs by my watch - the official time was even quicker being 1hr 18mins 43secs.  A pb of over 5 mins!

Scary though as I have now set two pb's in two days and will have a lot to live up to over the coming weeks!

• Well done poohbear and toby! For me today, at work so no training, and tomorrow, with work, blood test etc, another bonus of a rest day and let me body recover after 5 days hard training. But looking forward to putting in some miles this week and steeping up a gear with a 5k parkrun in Bedford on Saturday and a 15 mile steady run to look forward to next Sunday. (Hope the weather will be good then). image

• Well done everyone, sounds like it's been a tough weekend but the miles have still been clocking up. Special congrats to Toby and Poohbear for the double PB! Much celebrating needed.

My long run today was with the training group, only 14 miles but boy, were they brutal?! Up hill through thick, slippery mud straight into a bitterly cold head wind. I had so much mud on my trainers it was like lifting bricks. Needless to say, my time was NOT good and after two of these runs in a row, I'm seriously losing my confidence. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, it's so frustrating! I'm putting in more miles than last year but I'm 30-45 sec/m slower on same routes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Great running Toby how good to break a barrier you've been working at for a while! All those runs are paying off!

Poohbear 5 min pb is brilliant too, especially on a tough hilly course. 2 pbs in 2 days. You are flying!

I dont dread long runs, but my OH used to - try and get out with a group or at least one other. It helps pass the early miles and gives you someone to moan at later on.

Picklelilly dont worry about the times right now. Just keep on the distance. Your legs will be tired from all the extra miles and the fitness will come through eventually.

Chichester 10k for me today. A big pb and my time was 41:35. Pretty decent, but only 48th woman... amazingly high standard there (2 men under 30 mins, women's winner was 33.xx!!!). Brilliant race, not flat, a bit windy, but downhill finish which is nice image

• Fantastic run Pooh Bear and Toby3!!

Picklelilly - please don't worry as Curly45 says it is often more about the length of time running rather than the speed you run at etc. I do cliff path runs that are so much slower than road running and used to moan how slow I was and become anxious until I was told not to panic and that for off road etc you can't compare them. Two weeks ago in the freezing cold I did 15 miles in 1.24 but yesterday I did 16 miles in 1.25 - mainly because of the increase in temperature. The cold affects how much oxygen your body utilises etc and you just aren't as efficient in really cold weather. Try to do a mixture of training as well not just running - sneaky suspicion that you do this anway if my memopry serves me right?

Curly45 great time well done! Amazing training schedule as well, just wish I could do it......image

• Great runs everybody.

MadWelshWoman (!) sorry to hear about your father.image

I didn't have a particularly good training week. But have finished it off well with a PB running Watford Half-marathon, approx 2:07. The race even felt 'easy' after my long runs I have been doing!!image

• I hope everyone is stretching properly after their runs.

After the race, I had a massage which showed how tense and painful my calves were. image

• Everyone is going great guns! My 15 miles this morning was windy again but not as chilly as yesterday. 

Picklelilly- like you I was initially disappointed with todays time but after a cup of tea & shower had a good chat with myself to point out still 10 weeks to go with plenty of time for improvements to come through.image

• Picklelilly as curly says don’t worry at this point last year all my training runs were slower than the year before it wasn’t until about the middle of march they got better and i ended up knocking over 13minutes of my PB last year

Curly well done on your PB as well

Kathy the same goes to you looks like a good day for PB’s

• Well done on the running everyone.

Jelleybaby - Am I reading that right, 16 miles in 1.25? I think I can run at that pace for about quarter of a mile and then I would collapse!

My long run today was just short of 15 miles in 2.06. 36.6 miles for the week. Sunday afternoons are my favourite during marathon training. Feeling proud about reaching my targets (mileage wise) for the week and rewarding myself by eating loads and having a couple of beers.

Going for a weekly mileage record next week.
  • Goodness me noooo - 2.25!!! Sorry, perhaps wishful thinking!   image 

Good run though Running Guy!

• MadWelshWoman - so sorry to heart about your Father. If you can't run, even just getting out walking might be good for you. Not qualified to answer about your long run, but after a few weeks out I would take it easy!

So many PBs! Fab work all of you - especially Poohbear image

Picklelilly - you've been running on wet, muddy ground - not surprised you've been slower. The ground is just sodden at the moment!

Curly45 - love the idea of running with a partner so you have someone to moan at image great racing for you as well.

So week 9 of my training next week - half way through image
  • MadWelshWoman, my mother died last year from cancer at a relatively young age, so I know exactly what you mean about running being good therapy. I had already decided to run the marathon before she became ill, but now I have a real focus to aim for. Only you will know what suits you, but I wish you all of the best. I did 10 miles last night having played badminton in the morning, so the calves are a little sore this morning, but should be fine by tomorrow's run. Buidling up to 18 miles on Sunday which will be my longest ever run .. trying to have a week without chocolate, instead replacing with fruit and nuts .. is working so far (2 hours into the working week image).

• MWW  (((Hugs )))

Well done to everyone who ran races at the weekend. ( Toby, Pooh, Curly etc ) Some really fabulous PB's. Brilliant.

Jelleybaby, Your Longs runs times indicate to me that you will smash 4 hrs let alone 4:12

Pikklelily, as your trainig voume goes up then often your speed reduces. However b the time you are fresh at the start after your taper you will be a mean running machine.

Things ticking over well enough here. A cut back week last week to 54 Miles. All seems OK at the moment. 11 miles run first thing this AM.

Less than 10 weeks to go - so the next 4-5 weeks are the ones that count the most. Keep happy and train well !!

• As the big day is getting closer, does anyone have tips on what music to listen to on the way round ? I know the organisers say that you should take in the atmosphere etc, and I certainly intend to do that at the start and finish and a few points in-between, but I think you need something to keep you going the rest of the time. I did my 16 mile run just over a week ago listening to Andy Murray losing the Aussie Open final .. imageimage

• "Getting Stonger" - Rocky theme tune - needed for sections betwen 21 and 24 Miles image

There are a couple of rocky tunes actually.

I do not think I will have an Ipod with me - but If I did I would have similar music - lots of upbeat tempo. Basically this is all individual - it it makes you smile and or feel happy/excited - then go for it !!  ( but do not listen from the start or you will over cook yourself  )

• Hi all,

I haven’t been on here for a while so I’ve spent a few days catching up on the thread. Not all of it mind, as there's loads on here!

Toby and Poohbear – looks like your training is going well and well done on your PB’s in the 10k.

Curly – some good advice you’re giving out. I’m taking some of it on board for my own training! I’m also following Pete Pfitzinger’s Advance Marathoning Plan.

MWW – Condolences to you. I hope running can in some way assist with your loss.

Some great running everyone else.

SalisburyLad – I’ve heeded the advice of the organisers in the past and haven’t listened to music (you certainly don’t need it for the majority of the race as it’d be drowned out by the crowds) however I’m starting to contemplate taking some for the latter stages, especially around the power station. I usually just go for some banging dance tunes!

As for me training is going well and I’m taking it far more seriously than I have in the past. I’ve even stopped drinking alcohol! I didn’t realise the “elites” were starting from a different park until I got my email confirmation last week. As Curly has already stated sub 3:15 is not particularly elite and I’ll definitely be starting at the back of the front, however I’m just glad I’ll be able to get a good pace going without having to fight through the crowds like last year.

This week I’ll be doing some small runs to work, some interval training with my running club, around 10 miles on Wednesday and a 20 miler as the weekend, so looking at around 50 miles this week. I’ve got just under 3 weeks to the Tunbridge Wells Half which will be the first real test of how the training is going.

Keep up the great work everyone.

• Lucky you being on the faster start Lomster sounds like you are going to earn it!! I'll be in pen 1 of the rest of us start, but actually as a fast starter I think this works well for me. My main risk will be going off too hard and blowing up at 20+ miles so being held back a little isnt too bad. I hope image

AGF I agree this is a really important training time - need to keep the consistency up and consildate gains without pushing too hard. It can be a delicate balance cant it?

Salisbury Lad I dont do music on the run, but then I am the least observant person ever so I need to have one of my senses on full alert or I would probably run into everyone image

• for the past three years we have had a meet up at the travel lodge by Preston park at about 4pm on the Saturday before just to put faces to names if anyone is interested

Salisbury Lad sorry can't help you there do use and iPod for my training runs but never in races haven't found i miss it either to be honest

lombster glad the trainings going well

• we also done this

toby3

just happy to get around and enjoy the day

• toby3 wrote (see)

we also done this

lombster

toby3

I'm aiming for sub-3 as a Gold performance, sub 3:10 for Silver and GFA London and sub-3:13:58 for Bronze and a PB. If I'm any slower then something will likely to have gone wrong so in that case I'll just be happy to finish; and I'll definitely be having a beer!

Up for the meet at Travelodge also

lombster

3:15

Curly

toby3

lombster

Curly

toby3

Daniel Bates - looking at under 4h, but I be happy with with 4h-4h30 to be honest as well. :P

I might be able to meetup at Travellodge if many other faces are going as well before I head back to my hotel in Eastbourne (which is much cheaper than Brighton that weekend). :P Keep me posted on this.

Also, no training today due to work/hospital (doh!), but back training tomorrow. Watch out the streets of Stevenage. :P

•  Should be ok to meet up at 4pm - have OH with me for support and to allay the anxieties!! Would be good to put names to faces as well image

Daniel Bates 2 wrote (see)

lombster

Curly

jelleybaby hopes for sub 4

toby3

Daniel Bates - looking at under 4h, but I be happy with with 4h-4h30 to be honest as well. :P

lombster

Curly

AGF ( quite a bit behind Curly ) 

toby3

lombster

Curly

AGF ( quite a bit behind Curly ) 

toby3

SalisburyLad - main aim is to run the whole way without stopping .. if I can do that around 4:45 will be very happy