Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Toby, that's the same speed as my long runs last year when i ran 3:34
  • Options
    Toby, great work on the 20 miler. The long runs should be 10-20% slower than your marathon pace so you're easily on for a sub-4.

I've got to be up early tomorrow for a 20-miler. Should be looking at 60 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Bad run today. Meant to do 14 miles but felt wiped out almost straight away. I did have a big mileage increase last week but having had 2 days off thought I was OK. Managed 8 miles which is about 7 more than I felt like!

Anyway, given that I have a half marathon next week I thought better to last this one go and hope to feel better next week. Unfortunately it means no more leeway with the long runs now! Hope everyone else has a better run.
  • Options
    Morning all! More great mileage going on image Pleased to report I managed my first 16 miler yesterday image. Even better, I seen to have managed to stopped my imminent shin splints in their tracks imageimage Off to investigate compression socks as I think that's the key!

Toby - funnily enough I had been watching that same video earlier in the week, the one of the route. Hasn't seen the race video though - all very inspiring, thank you.

Hope everyone manages to avoid the snow this weekend - not what we need!
  • Options
    Black And Tabby wrote (see)
    Morning all! More great mileage going on image Pleased to report I managed my first 16 miler yesterday image. Even better, I seen to have managed to stopped my imminent shin splints in their tracks imageimage Off to investigate compression socks as I think that's the key! 

B+T, you might want to try compression calf guards instead of the compression socks - that way you can still wear your running sock of choice. I have these http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/info_2272.html and they are probably the best bit of kit I've bought (they come in more conventional colours if you don't fancy bright pink!) Well done on the 16 miles image

After 2 weeks of doing 20+ miles off-road on the South Downs, I did a very flat 24 miles to Worthing and back in 03:54:24 so pretty pleased with that.

Someone a few posts back asked about running 26.2 miles in training. This is just my opinion and with everything running related it's purely subjective and down to the individual, but the best piece of advice I got from a friend who had ran numerous marathons, before I ran my first marathon was 'Avoid every training plan that does a longest run of 18 miles and do as many 20+ miles as your body and time will allow'.

I've never run 26.2 miles in training (I like to save that for 'special occasions'!image) but I go up to 24 miles and my husband does a couple of 26.2 miles before a marathon. Obviously don't do that if it's going to wipe your running out for the next week, but if you can run those kind of distances on a Saturday and then be out running again Monday (Tuesday at the latest) then I think it helps you physically and more importantly mentally. There is a MASSIVE difference in being able to run 18 miles and being able to run 26 miles and those last 6 miles are ALWAYS going to be tough....but if you've done a few 20+ milers then I find it's such a psychological boost and regardless of what other factors race day might throw at you (weather, conditions, how you're feeling etc) you KNOW you can pretty much run the distance. But as I said that's purely my opinion and what has worked for me.

Have a good weekend running everyone, I'm going to sit on my bum and eat cheese image

• Options
    Agree with Barbie1976 entirely. 18 IMHO is just not enough. As many 20+'s as your body will allow and as close to race distance as you dare go. Some even go beyond, but that spoils the big day!

Interesting to see that a lot of runners are already well in to there 20 mile runs. Good stuff!
  • Options

Hi all.  I'm battling through a pretty hard time, hence the lack of posts.  Running has been difficult, but I am starting to enjoy it again.

Today I ran my first 20m run of the year in 3:22:45, including a couple of short pit-stops image.  A nice planned negative split with the outbound ten miles in 1:46:20, and the return in 1:36:25.  Although there was rain/sleet throughout the run, it was much more pleasant than the recent biting high winds!

I'm hoping to clock-up 50m this week by running a 6m recovery tomorrow.  I reckon I should be back on track by the end of next week (finger's crossed!).

• Options

Hey guys, I only did a 5k parkrun before I went to work today at Finsbury Park London. I managed 22.08 (3 seconds off my personal best) and finished 40th/140th. :P Hope the weather stays calm tomorrow for me to get in my first 15 mile outdoor run.

• Options

Well back from the run with Poohbear she should have been doing 12 miles this week but because of the H/M were running in March had swapped some of the runs around and ended up with a 14 today

or so i thought we had done the bulk of the run and as we got close to home i happen to mention that we had already done 14.5 miles and it would be at least 15 by the time we got home it was at this point Poohbear decided that if we were that close to 16 miles then it would be daft not to do them, so that was that found myself doing another 1.5 to make up the 16

come back the days that when if she was struggling all  Poohbear want to do bless her is go home she getting far too keen for me in the end we were out for 4:44:57 which is good as that’s the longest run she’s ever done

so if you if include the 10k on Sunday that’s a 63 mile week for me this week I’ve never done this amount of training for Brighton beforeimage

• Options

@Toby3 - 63 miles! Wow! Thats great training! Keep it up!

• Options

lombster

3:15

Curly

AGF ( quite a bit behind Curly )

MarkD

Charlotte Davey - around 3.35

jelleybaby hopes for sub 4

Barbie hopes to be a 'proper' sub 4:00 hour runner - last year I sneaked under at 3:59:46 so this year I am aiming for 3:50

Gloryboy sub 4 but be nice nearer to 3.30

toby3

Daniel Bates - looking at under 4h, but I be happy with with 4h-4h30 to be honest as well. :P

SalisburyLad - main aim is to run the whole way without stopping .. if I can do that around 4:45 will be very happy

Kerrance - Ditto SalisburyLad - first time doing a full marathon - want to enjoy the experience.

Minniemonster

B&T

just happy to get around and enjoy the day

Poohbear - just to cross the finish line with a smile on my face will be an achievement - dont care how long it takes

Kathy H as it is my first, I should just do this!

Fixed it
  • Options

Sore ankles now, but at least that's one of my 16 milers done and dusted.  Bit slower than I had hoped but I can always speed up a bit the more of them (and longer) that I do.  Good psychological barrier to have breached as the longest distance I had done prior to that was half marathon distance.  At least I now know I can keep going for longer than a half marathon.  Still a bit daunting though, thinking I have to do another 10 on top of this in April!  image

• Options
    Well done Pooh bear a great achievement

I did 2 hours of running, and managed to just about keep up to pace going up the hill, but found coming down hill, a long gradual decline really hard and did it slower than going uphill! Really bizarre I just couldn't find any energy at all and hated the run for the first time ever! I always am a bit tentative going down hill as it hurts my knee, but this was ridiculous! Hoping for a better neg split run tomorrow!
  • Options
    Barbie1976 - I was wearing calf guards, but they have a tight seam around the bottom edge so weren't very comfortable. I thought compression socks might be better without that edge. So I might just have bought myself a new pair of knee high socks today to give them a go image

Poohbear - really well done. Great stamina and determination to push on- which will come in very handy on the day!

Jelleybaby - sorry, but that's really funny that going downhill was slower than uphill. Hope you have a much better run tomorrow.
  • Options
    Great run poohbear. Always a great feeling when you end up doing more than you anticipated.

20 miles for me today which takes me to 60 for the week. Will be doing slightly less next week as I've got a 70 mile bike ride next Sunday.
  • Options

Still waiting to get out for my long run today......was hoping the rain would have eased up a bit. Oh well looks like im going to get wet.

• Options

Jelly 

Jelley - its the tough runs in trainiung that ake you stronger on the day !!

Pooh - well done. 

Toby - super training too !!

Tenjiso - well done for getting on track and your super 20 Miler. Your getting very well prepared for the day. 

T&B - I wear compression sock ALL the time. They are great image

Enjoy the long run Lombster. 

A run around warwick racecourse. Its fair to say that 3 days of rain means it just 1 big wet muddy puddle, The trail shoes did great though and feet kept try. Lulu loved it and chased plenty of birds. It took 2 large towells to wipe her down afterwards - both now in the wash image  Looking forward to watching rugby in the pub later image Thats 64 miles for the week !!

• Options

Thanks AGF.  You're doing great some great mileage.

Looks like everyone is doing really well with their build-up's.  Can't quite believe how rapidly the race is approaching!

I did 6m recovery this morning to cap off 50 miles for the week (my joint-highest).

• Options

Just done my 15 mile steady run. First run outside at this mileage and found (desite the rain, wearing heavy clothes - i just hate running in tracksuit bottoms and jumpers etc as it was so cold up here in Stevenage), that the last 2-3 miles was a mental challenge for me. But I didn't stop and completed my 15 mile course. Did it in 2h, 21m, 58secs. 02:21:58. Now I got that out of the way, I feel my half marathon in Milton Keynes next month will be alright. Great training today for the Brighton marathon and now I have to admit, I am looking forward to my rest day from running tomorrow. image 

• Options

Daniel well done to you for keeping going image

great mileage everyone i will start a list closer to the race to find out whether anyone's interested in a meet up

• Options
    Just about thawed out from my LSR this morning. Looks like everyone else has been out in the rain too. 15 miles on a very wet, windy seafront. No feeling left in my frozen hands after the first 8 miles, despite wearing thermal running gloves. It took me 2hrs and 4 mins (that darn head wind again!!), 1 hr thinking how well everything was going, followed by 1hr 4 mins cursing the freezing wind and rain in my face, dreaming of a hot chocolate with marshmallows. My Garmin says I burned 315 calories........in total......over 2 hrs 4 mins......and 15 miles......clearly that can't be right, so sod it, I'm having the damn hot chocolate anyway image
  • Options
    315 calories. That's not even a mars bar!!!!!!!!

Horrible horrible conditions at wokingham half today.

Done a MP run of 1.37 so reasonably happy but the legs did feel heavy.

Good running all in challenging conditions. I guess if we wait for the weather to be perfect for running we would never get out.
  • Options

Fantastic running everyone despite the awful conditions!

Well the run today was much better - negative splits of 20 mins x3 managed to finish with a 8.15 pace despite being wet and windy.

Picklelilly - definitely deserve a hot chocolate - you must have used at least 1000 calories - when I did 15 I used 1230 calories - obviously height/weight etc vary but a hot choc without at doubt!

MarkD   When it's raining and horrid I tell myself if it was the marathon I'd still run so why not now!! And yes, whilst I managed to escape most of the rain yesterday I didn't today - the word drowned rat comes to mind..... 

• Options

I avoided the rain today by doing some speedwork on the treadmill. It is getting a little easier to use those things.image Well done to evryone who got out into the elements.

I ran my LSR a couple of days ago, in the cold but dry weather, The plan said 20 miles, and I managed 19, my longest run so far. I found it pretty hard going.

• Options
    Well done everyone running in the horrible weather today. I didn't have to, so enjoyed a rest day trying out my compression socks image Husband was out cycling today, and came back soaked and frozen. He's crashed out asleep on the sofa now, bless 'im!

AGF - thanks for that. I noticed in the videos that Toby posted the links to that lots of people were wearing shorts and knee high socks image. Funny that I've got over the embarrassment of running in public in tight Lycra, but still feel awkward about some socks!

Half term next week - the challenge of getting out running with the kids here!
  • Options
    Kathy H wrote (see)

I avoided the rain today by doing some speedwork on the treadmill. It is getting a little easier to use those things.image Well done to evryone who got out into the elements.

I ran my LSR a couple of days ago, in the cold but dry weather, The plan said 20 miles, and I managed 19, my longest run so far. I found it pretty hard going.

Kathy don't worry about it hurting after 19 miles, a wise marathon runner once said:

"If you feel bad at 10 miles, you're in trouble. If you feel bad at 20 miles, you're normal. If you don't feel bad at 26 miles, you're abnormal."

so you're well and truly normal! image

• Options

well done all for getting out there in the horrible weather

have decided to try and stick with the sub 4 hour pace maker for as long as i can this year tried it last year but she went off to fast and was hitting 8:20 m/m and a couldn't say with her so will give it ago again this year and see how i get on

• Options

Toby or anyone else who has run with a pacer, how did you find it? Pacing is by far my biggest achilles heal (my previous half/marathon splits have been shocking/hilarious!image) so pacing is the one thing I really need to sort out so I was conisdering running with a pacer this year....thoughts?

• Options

Hi all, sorry for the disappearing act, been a rather frustraiting week for training. Came down with a respiratory infection that laid me up for the majority of a week. Managed my two 4 milers on my cycling machine, but didn't get my 12 done on sunday, as I wasn't up to it and in fact slept the entire day away. Never mind, hoping to make up for it once my penicilin has run its course but with such a short time remaining, I'm well ticked off that I came down with it now.

*grumble*

• Options

From memory the Milton Keynes 4:30 pacer finished in around 4:17 last year.  That kind of pacing I can do without image

I think running is too individual to follow exactly somebody else's pace.  For example, do they run even splits, or a slight negative split?  I'm not saying they don't have their place, but my garmin does a good job and I can follow my own plan (and deviate when necessary).  

I wish pacing was the only thing I needed to sort out image