Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Salisburylad well done on the run just 5 for me today going to do them on the treadmill

• Swervin. Sounds like you have made your mind up already.  No harm doing a different one in Autumn and making sure that you are fit for it.  The secret is to have a good stretch of consistent running and address niggles like ITB when they happen. If you do not do both of those then you can still run the race - but you will underperform against your ideal and its likely to be very painful. However if you have a good stretch of consistent training from running week in week out then you are likely to finish with a smile  ( and a grimace - as its still tough even with training ) 

13 Miles on Monday and 10 miles last night. Tonight is some intervals and then a rest  tomorrow before longer runs at the weekend!!!

Nice to see more snow ( not )

• All, I had previously asked what type of music people listened to whilst running the marathon. I have just read the rules of entry, and they state that no listening device should be used, so that has told me!! Below is the extract from the rules.

Music while running

For health and safety reasons you must not participate in the event whilst listening to any personal music playing device.  This is particularly important in order to allow our emergency services and their vehicles to operate safely on the day which they may not be able to do if you are unable to hear what is happening around you throughout the race.  Consequently iPods, MP3 Players or similar electronic music players must not be worn. We know this may be unenforceable on race day but would point out that you will be held strictly and solely liable if found to be responsible for harm to yourself or any third party or parties or damage to any property whether yours or that of a third party, as a result of your wearing any personal music playing device in contradiction of this race rule.

• SalisburyLad, they don't enforce this on race day - I don't personally run with music but there were loads of people with ipods etc in previous years and they turn a blind eye. I think they basically say that in the rules so that it absolves them of any liability if there was a music wearing related incident!

• I ran with headphones in but not turned on until the 19 miles at the power station...its nice to hear the crowds cheer you on...although last year the power station was a little more animated although the wall was missing...

• Today I did 10.80km (about 6 miles) on the treadmill, most of it at a steady pace, but I did 16 x 200m sprints with 16 x 200m recoveries in between. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be kind so that I can do a 10 mile steady run outside. image

• Final run before Brighton Half on Sunday, first of 5 races between now and mid May - is anyone else running it?

• Completed my first VO2Max session of the training schedule today.  8m on the treadie, including 5x0.5m intervals at 5k pace.  This is supposed to be a "recovery" week image - go figure.

All being well, two months from tomorrow we'll be toeing the start line!

• yes i asked about the wall the reply i got was that they had no intention of bringing it back which i think is a shame

• Going to set out for my first ever 18 mile training run today - compression socks on standby!

Salisburylad - glad to hear your 18 miles went well. Well done you! What's the longest run on your schedule? I always get sore hips as the miles increase as well - hope yours are okay now.

Tenjiso - 2 months today :-0 !!!!! Wow - that's coming round quickly. Realised I only have 3 long runs left, so really need to start practicing my fuelling.

No music for me on race day - saw a paramedic on a motorbike unable to get past a runner at VLM last year, because the runner was plugged in and had no idea what was going on behind him. It took another runner to drag him out the way!

Not a total saint though - will be listening through one earbud today - gave enjoyed making my playlist longer as my runs have increased!

Happy running all
  • Black and Tabby - my longest run is 22 miles, which I am doing 3 weeks before the race. I look forward to hearing later how your 18 miles went.

• Hope it goes well B&T - I've only got 10 this week as it's an 'easy' week, but next week is 17. I'm going for the compression socks as well! If they're good enough for Paula they're good enough for meimage and they are comfy.

Did fartlek session today - felt ok, but an odd thing happened - the sun SHONE!!! Can yo believe it - we have blue sky and sunshine at the moment - rain cleared by the time I went out. So nice to feel the warmth of the sun for a change!

Anyone know if you can buy the water pouches they are giving out on race day from a shop - I'd like to try one if poss......

• Bit late but re: pouches... OH did the race last year and thought they were much easier than the bottles previously. I havent used them myself so cant comment personally.

Hope the 18 miles goes well B & T - but why only 3 long runs left?

• Re pouches - yes I agree, I was a big fan of them too, I find bottles way to cumbersome to be running with, whereas the pouches fit conveniently into your hand.

• B&T hope the 18 miles went wellimage

• afternoon all

rest day for me today then should be doing 14 miles on Friday but not shore whether to sick another 20 in as i over eat a little this week and need to burn off some excess then out again Saturday with  Poohbear for another 14 mile

• I found the pouches OK to use, although I did have one explode on me (I say on me, the water went all over one of the supporters!)

I'm aching loads this week which I am putting down to the increased mileage last week plus not sleeping well. I'm replacing my long run with a long bike ride this weekend so hoping that takes some weight off of my feet.

Stamina hill session tonight with the club.

I've been getting mixed messages over the number of long runs you should do in training. Personally I've never done many (2 max) and always suffered as a consequence, but saying that, I've never done much in between half distance and 20 miles either! This year I've done a 17,18,20 already and got 2 more 20's and a 22 planned.

• think it's time to break this out again i piece of advice that was offered the first year i ran Brighton by a very wise runner

Can I suggest that you take a step back from this 20 mile thing?  It really  is a mind thing, whether you train up to 18 miles, 19.33355500 or 20 miles I am afraid to tell you it is not going to make an iota of difference on the day. The idea of a LSDs are that you do a good few decent long runs and get used to running for ABOUT 3 hours. Now the fast guys will be able to churn out 20+ miles in that time but the slower amongst you won't and that is fine.

Running 20 miles came about many yonks ago, a fairly decent runner went out and ran for lets say 2.5 hours...cos he was so good he ran 20 miles. Now instead of latching on to the 2.5 hours as the longest run, someone said 20 miles is the thing to do! For some, especaily marathon virgins, 20 miles is too far, knackers you out and puts pay to any further decent training in the week.  You are supposed to be building up the endurance in your legs, this happens with consistant long runs..not by throwing in as many 20s as you can. Its better to run a few decent steady 16s then struggle round  one 20.

I have to date done about 12 marathons and a couple of ultras, and have trained up to 20 miles a few times, mostly 18 and occasionally only 16. I'm not sure I would want to run one on the back of 13 miles though so I think it is all about getting it in proportion. My marathon times have been pretty consistant whatever the longest run is, providing the training is consistant too.

So can I suggest those of you who are getting VERY anxious simply revert to running time on feet and not miles. Don't run for any longer than 3/3.5 hours but try to get a couple in before the taper. Above all listen to your body, stop pushing it so hard and ending up injured as some of you have.  the aim of this training is to get to the start line as fit as possible, it is better to be slightly under trained then knackered from over training.  Have faith in yourselves as runners, not in what some bog standard schedule tells you to do we are all different!

• Thanks, Toby, for that advice. I thought that the reason behind building up to at least 20 miles was that then you could be fairly confident that you would get that far and then the adrenaline and crowds would carry you the last 6image But it makes sense that you might overtrain and therefore might suffer.

Maybe I shouldn't have booked up to run the Spitfire 20 (March 3rd) image

• Kathy H wrote (see)

Thanks, Toby, for that advice. I thought that the reason behind building up to at least 20 miles was that then you could be fairly confident that you would get that far and then the adrenaline and crowds would carry you the last 6image But it makes sense that you might overtrain and therefore might suffer.

Maybe I shouldn't have booked up to run the Spitfire 20 (March 3rd) image

Kathy every marathon I've run I've trained up to 24 miles and done quite a few 20+ miles in training. I was told conflicting advice to Toby before I ran my first marathon (again from a marathon running pro) and that was to ignore every training plan that told me to only run up to 18 miles and to run as many 20+ miles as my body and time will allow. But as I said in an earlier comment, this won't work for everyone as running is so subjective and down to the individual.

Plenty of people run a marathon (and run it really well) on just 18 miles of training.....but I've also found that the people who really struggle in a marathon and for whom the wheels really come off, are often the ones that haven't put the long runs in. Even now with a handful of marathons under my belt I still say there is a MASSIVE difference between running 18 miles and running 26 miles!

I think the best thing anyone can do in marathon training is find out what works for them and to not get too hung up on what other people are doing/what training plans tell us we should be doing image

• i think the thing to remember is time on your feet if you get used to running for along period of time then it's not such a shock to the system when you run the race for example i did 20 miles last Friday it took me 3:13:23 went out Saturday with Poohbear and we did 16 miles we were out for 4:44:13 something so everybody’s different yes it’s definitely a good boost mentally to now that you can do the 20 miles

so what i am trying to say yes i could do a lot of 20 mile runs but hey I’m only going to spend 3:30 on my feet how many  6 to 7 hr runs would Poohbear have to do if she did a load of 20’s

• All the conflicting advice from experienced marathon runners just goes to show how individual we are when it comes to what works best for us. I am definitely putting in more miles per week than ever before, but I don't expect I'll do more 18+ mile runs than previous years - the risk of injury is just too high for me.

Water pouches - pros and cons folks! They are much easier to hold on to, so you can carry them for a bit and drink more slowly. They crush under foot and don't trip you up. They massively reduce waste. Not so great, they can be tricky to drink from, which is kinda important. I've picked up pouches that a) stubbornly refuse to release ANY water no matter how hard you squidge them; b) eventually shoot a jet of water into the back of your throat and choke you; or c) spring a leak and squirt on someone else instead. Not sure if you can buy them to practice with, I would try the Brighton Marathon online shop as a good starting point.

Been using my compression socks for recovery, but sounds like some of you are feeling the benefits from running in them. Calves and shins are a weak area for me, so might have to give it a go! Happy running everyone.
  • Interesting posts today! I was only thinking today about the time on feet vs miles run, because I knew I'd read it somewhere.

Thanks for all the good wishes this morning - very pleased to report I did my 18 miles, well 18.7 actually image the bad news was that it felt very hard, right from the start. Maybe because I was setting off later than normal, maybe because I was running from my parents' house rather than my own, or maybe because of the strange glow in the sky and warmth! Anyway - DONE!

Curly - my schedule has one more 18 miller, and one 20 miler and that's it for the long runs. I have an easy week next week, then a HM the week after

Interesting info about the water pouches as well. Anyone know about the shot bloks they've handed out in previous years? Like when, and how many?

Picklelilly - I was injured last year with posterior shin splints, and as my mileage has increased this year I could feel my shins starting to hurt again. Wearing my new compression socks has stopped all that imageimageimageimageimage very pleased and relieved!
  • miles v time on your feet in the end i think it all boils down to what your aiming for and how experienced you are and how long you’ve been running if you’re looking for a time and have been running for years then of course your be able to do more of the longer runs if your just aiming to get around and have not been running that long then theres a greater risk of injury

As Barbie1976 say find out what works for you and listen to your body as that will tell you when it’s had enough

i got around the squirting you in the back of the throat problem by aiming the pouch at the ground then squeezing the pouch until the water came out

• well done B&T great running! 

In my plan I do a mixture of runs in miles but also time on feet, and it seems to be working, (apart from the one I walked downhill slower than running uphill - need to make sure I run rather than walk in Brighton or I'll really struggle!!). But I think there is something to be said for not doing too much too soon - we still have a fair length of time to go so for people like me who have only done one marathon (milions of year ago), I'm increasing slowly but steady - 17 next week and longer time on feet the week after.

Wasn't the sun great yesterday! Don't worry B&T about finding it hard - I think it's something we all go through, put it down to experience and well done for doing it! 

• B&T  Just had a look at the Brighton website  it states shot block being given out at 15 miles (not sure how many in a pack) and gels at 21.   I'm tempted to order some and see what they are like or avoid them altogether and make sure I have enough food to keep me going - undecided at the mo!image

Thanks for all the info Toby3 and other related responses, it's all good stuff - especially for relative newbies like me (well, old returner really!!).

• I think the beauty of marathon training is that there is no definitive right way to do it. Every single one of us is training for the same race, but every single of us is training differently, I bet even 2 people who are following identical plans would tailor different bits to suit them.

If what you are doing feels like it is working for you.....then it probably is image

Jelleybaby you're totally right, there's still 8 (I think) weeks to go so the fact people are bashing out 18+ milers at this stage is massively impressive image

B+T, in previous years (so I assume the same this year) they are the Clif shot bloks and they are given out twice (around miles 8 and 15/16 I think).

• Great post Toby. Thanks.

• Just done my 2nd 10 mile steady run and did it in 01:21:45, shaving 8 minutes and 15 seconds of my previous 10 mile. Bring on the 18 mile on Sunday and if it is like my first 15 mile last Sunday, I am going to enjoy it! image