Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• there of course toilets around the course but usually the there's a wait

• Hi guys, great to hear everyone's training is going well.

NSPCC are doing a deal for the last week of registration. If anyone knows someone still looking for a place, they're only £25.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/get-involved/join-an-event/get-active/running/brighton-marathon_wde77194.html

Good luck with your weekend runs!

• Thanks Toby.

I was gobsmacked at the above "bargain" price for Brighton places, but actually the places are £525.

• Hi Louise. Would agree with all that is said but just a small point. I would add another middle distance run to your schedule about 10 miles in place of your boot camp. At this late stage specificity is key.

I did the furmam first plan 2 years ago at Brighton( similar to what your doing) and got a PW image. Last 12 miles were a real struggle!!!

Setting off too fast is a mistake in any marathon but probably more so at Brighton cos all the undulations are in the first half and take quite a bit out of youimage

Brighton will be my 12th marathon and I'm still making mistakes!!!

Tenjiso only toilets I can remember are about 16 miles. At Wokingham half a couple of weeks ago someone just stopped in front of meand went in the middle of the road so there's always that option image
  • LOL Mark - it must have been Paula image

• LOL about peeing on course! At least pull to the side and pee on the spectators image

Good luck for all the long runs this weekend, I'm running a 5k race tomorrow then 20ish miles on Sunday, a bit of snow here in the air but nothing too much to worry about at this stage.

Welcome to PSC image

Matthew Smith 42 you arent allowed to advertise charity places on the forum (not that even the big chairties who should know better EVER read the rules when signing up!). image

• Hi PSC - I had to think where I had seen you before.  I believe we are in the same Jantastic team (PSOF).

• And he ran with shitbear!!
  • thanks Mark I might up it to 4 runs and a bootcamp as my camp incorporates a lot of sprints that have really been helping me with my pace. i think if i do that like you said it would really benefit me on the day.

Moved the 18miles to sunday, really have been a little feverish/dizzy and don't want to push it so lots of vitamin c and sleep for me until then.

lucky to have a few hills near me to help with the beginning image

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

Hi PSC - I had to think where I had seen you before.  I believe we are in the same Jantastic team (PSOF).

yep, that's me (initials GD)!

Hiya... image

Had a brain malfunction this morning and fell off the treadie!  Doh.  Bit stiff now and I know what it feels like to be sandpapered with a belt-sander.  Youch.  Ho hum... long run this weekend will be a trail marathon.... nice and slow!  

• hi Dave if you read back you find a lot of posts by me at that time as i work nights and get home about 3.30 in the morning then take me an hour or so to wind down so i tend to catch up on any posts that there are

NLR do you mind that my wife your insulting oh i forgot your a LMB arn't  you can reply to this post if you like but as you obviously have nothing important too add to the thread have added you to my ignore list

• What's a LMB arn't? Might have to throw this out to a non Tobe. I guess people aren't too friendly to fellow runners who aren't part of the regular posters on here. Shame when people form cliques.
  • This forum is very friendly and welcoming and full of useful advice it has been a pleasure sharing the journey with everyone all year. Agree with Toby though, if the comments weren't meant to offend then they came across wrong.
  • Thanks Tillstar. Just that 4.30 am posts and running with poohbear came seem strange to someone not familiar with this thread. Maybe Toby thinks he has earned the right to control how this thread is run. Fair play to the man.
  • And oh yeah. What is a LMB arn't
  • I love this thread so stop moaning people and think before you type and press send! It contains lots of great info which anxious and controlling people like me need to complete the marathon!

I'm doing 17 tomorrow morning, a bit concerned about the weather being so cold, I know I need to keep warm but at the same time I get warm once I start running and hate having lots of layers.........

Not sure who it was who said to take a drink at 5,10 ,15 etc miles, I don't drink much even on a long run and couldn't suddenly increase my intake for that run. Isn't it quite an individual thing? Hypernatraemia is more serious than dehydration. But point taken so thanks anyway.

Great running everyone and good luck for anyone racing this weekend as well.
  • jellybaby i think your find you need to drink less in the cold weather any way i know what you mean about the cold i had to stick on an extra long sleeved top for my run to day probably do it again tomorrow as i think were going to be out  for at least 5 to 6hrs there again i could be wrong and have to eat humble pie when Snowmaiden and Poohbear prove me wrong

• JelleyBaby - I bring most of my water back home with me, though I do tend to be well hydrated before setting out on the run.  About the only time I drink any is just to help wash down a gel, if I take one.  I've noticed that advice has recently been more of a case of "drink to thirst", rather than follow a schedule.  

• I appreciate this thread, also. It is reassuring to be in the presence of experienced Brighton marathoners image

It has been difficult to do all my training runs this week as it is half-term (usually I have plenty of time). I have missed two training runs!

• Thanks guys I feel a bit more reassured regarding hydration!

Kathy - don't worry about only running a few times this week, I had an easy week last week, this week is medium and next week hard. I don't think it is always necessary to run the same number of times each week - your body needs to recover as well.

Thermals and compression tights at the ready for tomorrow, plus hat, gloves and hope for the best!
  • Kathy H. Don't worry schedules are there to be broken occasionallyimage

I take a cut back week after a couple of tough weeks. It gives you something to look forward too and keeps you focused.

On the subject of hydration. I hydrate a couple of hours before long runs. I take a drink with me on long runs but rarely use it. It's just in case I need it. Although last week I tried a can of monster xdurance energy drink beforehand and boy did that work I literally flew round my long run. Not sure how good that is for you and I'm pretty sure I would have failed a drug test but hey it felt good;) happy running all!
  • Thanks for the reassurance, guys image

• Kathy as Mark say's missing a couple of runs won't hurt i miss a week and a half of training last year when my knee locked up that included 2 long runs of 12 and 13 miles but still beat my PB by 13 minutes remember these plans arn't set in stone may be when you got more time you can fit them in or do what I've done before now depending on the lenght add the runs together and just did one long run

• folks, drinking has nothing to do with the temperature, it has everything to do with balance... fluid in should roughly match fluid out (sweat or breath).  In very cold weather you lose more water through your breath than you do on a humid warm day, but probably less through sweat (unless you've layered up too much)!  There is a lot of current advice about drink when you think you need to, I certainly woudn't drink just because I hit a magic distance.  Tip to try in training, set a stop watch/garmin to beep every half an hour and then use that as a mental time check to think about nutrition, fluids, pace, niggles/rubs and then carry on.  Then you can discipline yourself to not be worried by any of that stuff for the rest of the time.

As for layering, another good tip in this weather (probably comes from running ultras) is layer up with long sleeve items..  then when you warm up you can take layers off and tie them around your waist.  Another good way of keeping your temp regulated is to use gillets and gloves rather than full sleeve tops.  Don't use water proof stuff unless it's raining - there is are some excellent wind proof layers on the market that are perfect in this weather.  If it's dry I run with a windproof Rab top with a T shirt under it.  Then put a buff around my neck another on my head and some thin gloves... 

Caffeine drinks do work, but the experts reckon you should take 3 or 4 days pre race on no caffeine.  I did a half ironman once on caffeine gels (didn't realise before the race that I hadn't packed any normal gels) and was definitely boosted by it, although I didn't sleep very well the night after and have subsequently stopped using them as they were elevating my HR.

Take it easy out there in the ice.... long and SLOW

• another thought on clothing in this weather is have a look at cycling tops... they are designed to combat the windchill...  a bit warm most of the year, but in this weather they are perfek.  

• Good stuff PSC. Interesting what you say about sweat. I sweat very little. Not at all in this weather. I believe this is why I never feel thirsty on my runs. Downside is I tend to overheat badly on warm days. Not sure if this is scientifically correct image

New trainer shopping today. How exciting. Lunar racer +3 I hope.

Will be trying them on my LSR tomorrow.

Enjoy ya weekends all. 7 weeks and counting!
  • Apologies to those of you who have heard this before, but I was given a really good tip a couple of years ago for anyone concerned about getting the balance right between pre-race hydration and not ruining your race time having to stop for pee breaks. It's never failed me or anyone I've shared it with.

The rule of thumb is to focus on hydration in the 2-3 days before the race; on race day, drink as much as you like UP TO 2 hrs before the start time (I.e. 7am for a 9am start); then STOP. Don't drink anything more until about 10 mins before the start, when you may want a swig of energy drink or something. In that 2 hour gap your body gets rid of any fluid it doesn't need and you can run a full marathon, drinking en route as much as you need to, without having to lose time with an annoying loo break. Someone asked if there were places to stop for emergency pee breaks along this course - I would say, not really. The crowd support is very dense (yay!) so you'd have no privacy and probably would end up peeing on a supporter. So, if you're concerned, try this technique for one of your long runs and see how you get on. I use it every Sunday for my LSR and it's never failed.

I do hope Poohbear has not taken offence at an earlier post and stopped contributing to this thread. You are a real inspiration and it would be such a shame to lose you! Hope the 18 miler goes well.

I'm running Tunbridge Wells Half this Sunday, so i've used the event as an excuse to have a cut back week on total mileage. No need to feel anxious about missing runs over half term Kathy - just tell yourself you've given your body an important recovery week so you can continue training strong when the kids are back at school.

Lots of good tips PSC and others, thanks for sharing. Looks like it's going to be a very chilly weekend of running for all of us. I'll be thinking of hot chocolate to get me round mine, no doubt!
  • PSC and Picklelilly great advise that's what i love about running there's alway's someone thing new you can learn or try to help you inprove

• Morning all. 9 mile hilly run done, 20 to do tomorrow.

I've enjoyed reading all the advice and tips on the thread recently, so thanks all for the motivation! (Keep it coming! Just wish I had something useful to add now and again!)