Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

PSC and Picklelilly - great advice there. I've always followed your hydration tip Picklelilly and I can also vouch it definitely works image

I was off-road again this morning on the South Downs as I've got Steyning Stinger off-road marathon next weekend - bitterly cold and snowing for most of it but did a good 24 miler. I bet after all this training in cold weather, Brighton marathon is going to be baking hot image

• Options
    Hope it's going to be warm for the stinger Sarah
  • Options

I've been reading race reports from last year.....surely it can't be as bad as that image

• Options
    Let's hope it keeps dry and warms it a little bit. Are you running head to toe in pink?
  • Options

Up at Devil's Dyke where I was today the ground is rock hard so as long as there's no rain this week at least it should be relatively mud-free.

Not head to toe pink because that would make me look really silly wouldn't it image but there will be some pink-ness going on!

• Options

Thanks PSC/Picllilly.  Interesting reading.

I ran 22m today and only drank about 100ml water.  However, I was well hydrated before the run and I took SiS Go Gels at 11m and at 17m (which are quite watery compared to other gels).  I've also done a fair bit of rehydrating post-run (Milkshake and Lucozade Original, plus water of course.

This week I've completed 56m, which is my highest mileage week ever.  It's the peak mileage in my plan as the emphasis now switches to more speedwork and race preparation.

Rest day tomorrow!!!! image

Enjoy those long runs folks.

• Options
    Hi guys, yes thanks foe the extra info re hydration. I am trying to drink more on the day before the long run and I think that helps, but was never quite sure how much to drink on the morning so much appreciated,

Did 17 miles this morning in2,38 not that pleased with the time,my knee was really sore after running downhill and it affected my speed I had to keep stretching and massaging the muscle to keep going for the last few miles. Must do more single leg squats! Took 100 mls water with me and drank it all along the way, but I'll try the device from an earlier post and check every few miles and consider how I feel.

Should have had a cold bath when I got back but really needed a hot shower followed by a lovely mug of hot chocolate image

30 mins beach run for me tomorrow, enjoy your running whatever you are all doing - hope the snow stays away we only had a few flurries this morning. Great running everyone keep it going!!
  • Options

Tenjiso, great mileage and sounds like real quality mileage as well image What plan are you following?

Jelleybaby, I am 100% with you on the post-run bath/shower - I know we're told of all the benefits of an ice bath but in weather like this, give me a big hot bubble bath anyday of the week image

• Options

Afternoon all

well back from the 18 miles with the  wife and daughter have to eat humble pie

• Options

Well me and Snowmaiden did our first 18 mile session today, with Toby3 along for company and mileage monitor as he is the only one of us with a Garmin.

Completed it in just under 5hrs and 15 mins which we were both pleased about.  Especially cos Toby3 thought it would be nearer the 6 hour mark than the 5!

Picklelilly - I dont let things put me off, I have been called worse in the past.  May have to think about changing my monicker soon anyway as dont look quite so much like a Poohbear now I have lost almost 2 stone since signing up for Brighton last April.  Thanks for the tip about hydration and drinking as much as you want up to 2 hours before.  Didnt get it quite right as needed a comfort break between miles 5 and 6, about 1hr 15 mins into run, but then managed to get all the way home again before needing another one.  Hopefully if I perfect it a bit can manage even longer.

• Options
    Well done snow maiden and pooh bear great running! image enjoy eating humble pie Toby image
  • Options

Hi everyone,

Did my first 18 miler today with Toby3 and PoohBear. Ow. Owowow ow. My legs hurt. Well pleased with the time even though I got conned. Haven't been able to get on the forum for the last week due to outside issues and was under the impression that I was only coming down to see my parents and do a 16 mile run with them.

Still I don't think 5:15 is too bad a time considering that the respiratory infection made me miss a 12 miler and caused me to only manage 11 of a 14 miler before, meaning that this run was 6 miles longer than anything I had done before. 

Tillstar: Thanks. image I will enjoy watching Toby eat humble pie. image

• Options

Barbie - I'm following the P&D up to 55m plan from the book "Advanced Marathoning".  I'm glad I chose it now, because I've been really enjoying it.  Strictly speaking, the longest run should be 20m, but I decided to extend this one as a psychological boster.  I just think it feels good knowing that there are only just over four miles separating today's run from the full marathon.

Jelleybaby - having spent over 3.5 hours in the cold and the snow, the last thing I wanted was an ice bath!  Hot shower, plenty of fluids and a stint on the foam roller to smooth out the kinks image

• Options

Mmmmm.... pie image

Well done on the 18m Poohbear/snowmaiden.  Fabulous progress.

• Options
    16 miles for me today in 2:46, which is 24 minutes quicker than last year! Very very pleased. Hoping this means the long runs generally will be less of an ordeal this year. I ran slightly faster than last year's marathon pace and hoping if I can keep that up, I will easily be faster on the day.

Well done to everyone for getting out in the wind and snow today!
  • Options
    Well done Poohbear and snow maiden great running, I hope the pie was good Toby3!

Tenjiso and Minniemonster well done as well good running with good times as well, especially in such cold weather.
  • Options

Hello all! Pleased to see your training has been going so well in my extended absence- I wish you all the very best of luck at Brighton this year, may you make a stunning debut or a cracking PB image

I've taken the rather difficult decision to pull out of Brighton 2013- I've had five weeks off with injury and will simply not be ready to do myself justice. Am redoubling my efforts towards York in the autumn.

This means that if anybody still needs accomodation for the Saturday night, I have a room in the Worthing Travelodge (a short journey down the coast) up for grabs if anybody is interested? Email me on sarahlmarsden@live.co.uk if you are image

• Options

Oh no poor you Sarah image Although you must feel gutted, you've definitely done the right thing as there will be plenty of future marathons to train for when you're 100% fit and great news you've already got York scheduled in, which I have no doubt you will absolutely smash image

How's the injury now? Are you able to do some easy running (last thing I read on your blog you were doing aqua jogging)?

Brighton 2014 then?! image

• Options

Aw thanks Barbie! Thanks for stopping by the blog too image

I've been aqua jogging and am on the mend enough to start some short, steady runs, but with 7 weeks to go till Brighton, if you take off two weeks to get back into running properly, then two for the taper, that only leaves three weeks to get marathon fit image

Possibly, am keeping my 2014 options open, because with having to pay the entry fee again if you defer, I could pay less and do Manchester instead- much nearer home for meimage

• Options

Sarah - sorry to see that image  It's always a difficult decision to pull out, but it's doubtless the right one for long term health.  

• Options

Sarah sorry to hear you,'ve had to pull but better safe than sorry

• Options

A slightly sore 11 miles last night with two BIG hills. I ploughed on, completing it in 1'50" but can't shake this niggly knee pain. It's really really frustrating me now. I've had two sessions of sports massage and I'm seeing a physio on Tuesday. Really hope I can get to the bottom of it as it's really spoiling my running.

• Options
    Sarah sad to pull outimage I had to pull out of Abingdon in October, but before you know it the next one is round the corner. What I did was to take very small steps to increase my weekly long runs once I was fit. This gave me a great base when I started my 16 week plan for Brighton. It gives you the extra time to increase the weekly mileage more gradually and reduces risk of more injuries.

Preparing myself for 24 miles this morning. The first few steps are always tough. Have a good day all.
  • Options

Sarahmarsbar - so sorry to hear you're not runing - you must feel really frustrated. But, as the others have said, its better to be safe than sorry - 26 miles is a long way to run if injured. Good luck with the recovery though.image

SwervinMervin - are you doing additional exercises and did you have a proper diagnosis at all? Hope the physio can help.

Well did 30 mins beach run - really cold and a very stiff headwind for the first half, but turned around and not quite so bad on the way back. Knee back to its normal self (a bit of discomfort is normal for me), so that's encouraging.

Someone asked about types of compression socks a while back - forgot to respond straight away and this thread is so busy that it will take me ages to find out who it was! So, I first of all bought some saucony ones in the correct shoe size but they were listed as 'unisex' I rang and asked about the size and said they were for ladies so ordered them. However, althought the foot size is fine I don't find there is enough compression in the calf, but I am quite slightly built so that may be the reason. So, I then bought a pair from More Mile and they are fab! Nice size - my only criticism is that I would have liked them about 2 inches longer! I shall be wearing them on April 14th!!  

Hope everyone is keeping well and had a good weekend of training....weeks are flying by now Yikes!!!

• Options
    Hi JB....no diagnosis yet image

Sports massage person doesn't believe its ITB and is basically scratching her head......I'm hoping the physio can shed some light on it. I'm starting to fret about the cost of these sessions long term too!
  • Options

I echo the comments about appropriate language. This thread is a fantastic combination of experienced runners/first timers, and what links everyone is the friendly banter throughout. There is no place for offensive language of any kind.

Moan over, I am delighted to have done my first ever 20 mile run this morning - it went exactly to plan. I averaged 10:45 per mile, and I didn't slow down at all even at the end. My entire left leg (foot, knee and hip) all started to hurt at the same time at around 19 miles, so the last mile included a bit of a hobble, but given that was the worst that happened, I was happy with that. A couple of hours later, it is the arch of my left foot that hurts the most, fingers crossed that will be back to normal soon.

I combined energy drink, with SIS gels, and jelly babies ..... and between them they got me through !! image

• Options
    Good stuff Salisbury lad. The first one is alway a great achievement.

SM. Lets hope the physio can throw some light on it.

24 today in 3.26. Quite happy cos I've had a tough couple of weeks. That brings this weeks total to 70. It was bloody freezing tho!!!!! Cut back to 50 next week so looking forward to the rest.
  • Options
    Oh dear, the aches and niggles are starting to mount up on this thread. So sorry to hear your news Sarah, it's a very brave decision to pull out of a race. As for everyone else....take it easy and get the niggles looked at. We're only 3-4 weeks away from taper now, so don't let the urge to run on an injury (just to keep up with your plan) ruin the big event. (I know you'll ignore this and run anyway!)

The end of my cut back week has finished with Tunbridge Wells Half this morning. I was dreading the freezing cold conditions, but it actually wasn't so bad. And the 'challenging', 'hilly' course I kept reading about wasn't half as bad as I'd built up in my head. All in all it was a very pleasant race, and although it was never going to be a PB with all those hills, I am chuffed with my 1:44 finish time. The feet are up and I was feeling quite smug......until I started reading all the amazing distances you guys completed this weekend. Still, it's back up to normal mileage next week, and hopefully all the fitter for having had a break. Now, where did I put that cake?
  • Options

First 15 miler today in 2.38 - aching quite a bit now but overall very happy with how it went- am convinced I have tweaked my ITB so will need to do lots of rolling and stretching and going to try and fit in a sports massage this week . I have the Newport half next Sunday so It will be interesting to see how quick I can go .

Jelleybaby - it was me asking about the compression socks so thanks for the info

Roast beef and double portion of roast  potatoes for tea !

• Options

Salisbury Lad, 20 miles is a big mental milestone. well doneimage