Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• I've run in pretty much all weather conditions and I'm definitely with Picklelilly on the wind front, I can't stand it! I've done Tough Guy a couple of times and the first time round, although it was warmer (around freezing instead of -4!), the wind chill made the event so much tougher. Beachy Head Marathon was also tough last year with the wind. I'll be able to handle a cold and wet Brighton but if it's windy I will struggle. Although saying that, it's just something else to add to the mix in terms of mind games! It'll be fine whatever the weather!!

Good luck to all those doing events this weekend. None for me until Hastings Half so I need to get a 22-miler in tomorrow - zzzzzzzzz!

I'm in for the meet up.

toby3 wrote (see)

yes meet up will be Saturday

travel lodge Preston park 4.00pm Saturday

Toby3

Poohbear

Tenjiso

Lombster + 1
  • Great video Toby I needed that thanks
  • Toby - wow. brought tears to my eyes

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Yes, amazing video.

The meet-up is a good idea. Can you put me down for a probable? image

• Travel Lodge Preston Park 4.00pm Saturday

Toby3

Poohbear

Tenjiso

Lombster + 1

Kathy H probable

• Toby3: Of course I'll be there!

Toby3

Poohbear

Tenjiso

Lombster + 1

Kathy H probable

Snowmaiden

• Sorry guys would like to be there, but will still be at the Exhibition, as I can't get there until 3. You'll have to post a group photo !

• Count me in Toby. Staying there this year. Great positioning for the start.

Cut back the miles this week and the rest has definitely made a difference! Couple of tempo runs at a very respectable pace. 22 on Sunday. I've only got one more 20+ miler after that before tapering. Can't believe I'm talking about taper already. Sorryimage
  • Looking forward to the Eastbourne Half this weekend and hoping that the weather warms up a little!  I'm not up to some of the mileage that is on this thread but I'm getting there and I'm really excited/nervous about taking part in the Brighton marathon this April.    

Can anyone tell me if Shot Bloks are enough to see you through a marathon?  I've tried a couple of gels but they made me feel ill as they are so gloopy and I don't want to feel ill on the big day.   

This thread is really inspiring and so I hope you all don't mind a newbie joining in and asking daft questions...  image

• And me for the meet up Toby3 as well please! It will be lovely to put names to faces etc!

I've not used shot blocks and can't seem to find them over here, but you need to just practice and stick with what you are comfortable eating. I tend to eat Nakd bars rather then gels and tomorrow for the first I'm going to take a mini Malt loaf with me and a couple of jelly babies. Welcome to the thread Slowly, steadily!

Attempting 18 tomorrow but most of it has to be along the seafront because it's the only place without hills and I'm still going easy on the old knee. Ah we'll good practice for Brighton I suppose!

Good luck to those of you racing this weekend, at least the weather seems to be a bit kinder at the moment!
  • Well done all of you on the big runs!!

I am getting really excited about this now (being my first marathon and all image)

I finally saw a bonafide physio last week who has told me that my problem is my ITB. He has prescribed me to stretch and use the foam roller on alternate days and to lower my mileage (not good at this stage!) for a couple of weeks.

I saw him on Tuesday and then ran 6 miles on Wednesday and last night. Dunno if it's the placebo effect but my leg did feel less glitchy after some vigorous rolling of my ITB and my buttock.

I am a bit worried though as the longest run I've done so far is 14 miles and I was meant to be getting stuck into 15/18 miles over the next week or two. image

I've absolutely comitted to this now......I finally sent out my JustGiving link yesterday and I've so far managed to raise £150! image

I'm running the marathon in memory of my sister who passed away two years ago so it's all worthwhile.

• Picklelilly - thanks for the tip about tucking in behind runners when it's windy along the seafront.  I'll do my best to use it this weekend at the Eastbourne half.  Looks like a 13mph easterly to contend withimage

Slowly, Steadily - look out for a green fairy and say hi if you see me.  I'm using this as a training run for the BM so will be slow and steady myself and content with 2hrs 30mins.

Swervin Mervin - this weekend's half will be my longest run so don't panic.  After this weekend my 4 long runs will be 14, 15.5 and two 17 milers then taper for last 2 weeks.  Would have liked to have kept to 16 week schedule with longer runs but no point in burning myself out now and ruining the big day.  Burning yourself out on the big day is ok as you'll have a finisher's medal around your neck to comfort you as you lay on the sofa!image

Anyone else on here doing Eastbourne?

Good luck to all running this weekendimage

Toby3

Poohbear

Tenjiso

Lombster + 1

Kathy H probable

Snowmaiden

Mark D

Jellybaby

• toby3 - would you please add me to the list.  Thanks.

I would be interested in any beds that should become available in the travelodge for the saturday night.  Missed bookingimage

•  

Morning all

Well off to Llanelli later today looking forward to a weekend a way then it’s back into the marathon training with a vengeance next week with a 5 mile run Monday and Wednesday a 10 mile Tuesday a 20 on Friday or i may push to 22 and then out whit Poohbear on Saturday to keep her company as she has another 18 mile run to do

Travel Lodge Preston Park 4.00pm Saturday

Toby3

Poohbear

Tenjiso

Lombster + 1

Kathy H probable

Snowmaiden

Mark D

Jellybaby

The Green Fairy

• Well thanks guys your motivation tips definitely worked - 10 miles this morning :0) wasn't bothering with speed but took 1hr 34 so pretty pleased although that was probably a bit fast considering how intermittent my running has been recently.

Told myself I couldn't have anymore chocolate until I have covered 60 miles - surprising how much easier that made getting out of bed this morning!

So much nicer to be out on the road instead of stuck on the treadmill. Struck me around mile 8 that I was really enjoying myself and it reminded me of a quote I saw "that amazing moment when the aching in your muscles is silenced and that voice in your head says you're a bad ass keep going" ;0)
  • Thanks Jelleybaby!  There's so much conflicting advice out there and Shot Bloks suit me so I'm going to carry on and see how I go with these image

Soooo looking forward to Eastbourne tomorrow - I'll keep an eye out for you Green Fairy as I hope to finish in a similar time! 

Thanks for making me feel welcome!

• So many people racing this weekend, good luck everyone - hope your races are full of PBs and all your training to date has paid off image

Steyning Stinger off-road marathon for me - heard great reports about this one....plus you get a free (veggie) breakfast at the end, what's not to like about that?! image Although when I've told people, they have said there's probably easier ways to get a veggie breakfast rather than having to run a hilly 26 miles off-road beforehand, which is probably a very valid point! image

• Hats off to you Barbie1976, a hilly, off-road marathon will make Brighton feel like a breeze! Let us know how it goes. Good luck also to Slowly, Toby, Green Fairy, and everyone else racing.

Tillstar, well done finding your motivation....60 miles til chocolate is really tough, I'm sure my target would have been much softer!

Swervin, your experience sounds very much like my first marathon. I'm sure your physio told you, but top tip for rollering ITB is to use the roller on the muscles above and below the ITB rather than lying flat on the side of your leg. Also don't roll up and down like a rolling pin - you need to inch down it slowly and stop wherever you hit a sore spot. Breathe through the pain for a minute - 8-( - before moving on another inch. Ouch! But it really works. I think I only got up to 16 miles in training for that first marathon because of terrible ITB pain but still really enjoyed the day and managed to finish in 4:08, so not a complete disaster. Have continued rollering and never had ITB pain since.

Toby3 - could you add me to your list for the meet up? Will be great to meet you all properly after sharing this training experience for 16 weeks!!

18 miles for me tomorrow.....I've got a feeling it's gonna be a good one - hurray!
  • Would love to meet up on the Saturday. I'm at the Travel Lodge in Hellingly Eastborne I think - so a bit further away. Will let you know if I'm able to join you.

All set for Llanelli half tomorrow - its my 'home' h/m as I live 15 mins away, so I know the route. Looking forward to it!

Hope everyone's runs and races go well this weekend.
  • Good luck to all racers today. Please please please put a full race report on we do like to read them. Lap times, breakfast, mishaps the lot. Don't leave anything out. image
  • I tried a 2.5 mile last night to see whether my foot was recovered - it is a little bit sore this morning, but nowhere near as bad as it was a week ago, so I am hoping that it is getting there. My right ankle has started hurting a little, but I think that is just general wear and tear, after all, my body didn't know what a 20 mile run was until a week ago !! Will do a very gentle 5 mile tonight.

• After a great 16 miler last week, my 18 miler yesterday was surprisingly hard. Legs felt fatigued almost right from the start, which was annoying but not surprising given I'm in to the high mileage weeks now. I did manage to keep pace up - was hoping to do in 3 hours 5, and would have been happy with 3 hours 10, finished in 3 hours 9 as opposed to 3 hours 20 last year. Just wish it had been more fun.

Good luck to everyone racing today. I've got some days off this week and hitting the running shops to treat myself. And sports massage! This running gets expensive.

• 22 d&d in 3.00, wish I could rest buy gotta go to a kids party now image

New trainers on order can't wait.
  • Just back from newport half marathon with a new PB of 1.56.04 - slightly disappointed as was aiming for 1.55 however its partially my own fault as I went off far too fast - I knew it was too fast but for some reason I chose to completely myself !!!

I also wore new double skin socks - toes came out absolutely perfect but I could feel a blister from about mile 9 in the arch of my foot - its a corker!

On a positive I took SIS gels every 3 miles and some jelly beans and they worked well and aside from going out to fast I felt strong apart from the usual knee niggle which was there all the time and its sore now .

As this was the first time for this half and it was run by a charity it was pretty good - it will struggle to grow the numbers with this route though as it is pretty narrow. Water/ protein shake, sweets/ pen and a nice techincal tee in the goody bag plus some lovely soup and a warming space blanket !

Mark D - is this enough detail?!?

• Ok guys need some advice if possible.

Did a comfortable 18miler last week the knee played up towards the end but otherwise great. Few shorter runs this week all fine. Today went out to do a 20miler and at 6 miles had to stop as shooting pain just below the knee.

Didn't want to stop but thought I had to be sensible. Any advice on sore knees and how to keep training???
  • Ran 12miles in 3:10:51. image Good day. Keep drifting off to sleep though. LSN kicking in me thinks.

Louise d: I get a sore knee. I find that if I take painkillers before I go out it helps.

• Sorry I havenot been around much. Have been on holiday for the wifes 40th. 

Today was the silverstone 1/2M.  

So chuffed.  Official time = 1:29:58 ( Sub 1:30 and a 7 min+ PB ) image

Off for a beer !!