Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Sorry I was being a little cheeky !!! and it is possibe that I may not finish .. however I refuse to have negative thoughts, so I will be crossing that line in a PB image

• Evening all

10 mile recovery run today went out with Poohbear went ok for the first 4 or 5 miles then Poohbear started to pay for her incredible performance yesterday and started to struggle so i started to pick a point to run to then walk to the next (i.e. a lamp or tree) and so on that way we got the whole 10 miles in not that Poohbear was in any mind to give up and was determined to get the 10 miles done as she is going to have trouble fitting her runs in this week and by doing the 10 she can count them as the 2 x5 miles runs she had to do o just leaves her an 8 to do some time this week

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

OMG - just a smidgen over 40 days to go!!!!!!! image

• sussex runner you really are a child!! enough said

• Picklelilly – as you will see I have now added you to the meet up list. image

SalisburyLad – hope your ankle’s better now and it is nothing too serious. Just read that it was feeling a bit better pleased to hear it image

Kerrance – well done on your time for Newportimage

Snowmaiden – well done on your time.  Know all about LSN Syndrome.image

AGF & Tenjiso – well done on pbs at Silverstone image

B&T – well done on your pb too image

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

OMG - just a smidgen over 40 days to go!!!!!!! image

La la la la I can't hear you, I have my fingers in my ears La la la la

• Race report

got to the hotel about 2pm book in and the set off to find the start for Sunday as it turn out the Premier Inn were we were staying was a 2 minute walk from the start so that was good weather Saturday was lovely and did contemplated wearing shorts for the race however by Sunday morning when we looked out it had turn cold and gray so the running tights were the order of the day

The race started from the ruby stadium which was great as there was some where warm to sit and wait for the race to start which wasn’t the case i learned later when i meet up from someone on another thread i post on

The race got under way on time there was a small climb in the first mile but after that was pretty flat as i said earlier it took you through a bird sanctuary and along the coastal path which was very exposed and there was a stiff wind blowing

i was using people as pace makers a lot of the time until they either drop of the pace or went off in front was going well at mile five when i got talking to a chap running at a good pace he said that normally it’s was wet and wind for this race so i guess we got lucky in away weather wise

He went in front so i decided to chase him managing to stay a few paces behind him until the turn around point when he slow to wait for his mate it was then a case of just keeping the pace going i got passed by a young chap in a blue running top and for the rest of the race kept him in sight

Used a gel at mile 9 and have to say at this point was still going well it was and out and back route and again you had to run down the coastal path and there was now a strong head wind to run into the miles came and went and got to mile 12 and from there it was all downhill gave a great big cheer when i read the time because at this point i had been reading just the pace and nothing else

Great medals has to be the biggest and the most heaviest one I’ve ever got and a nice woolly hat well from what i can gather this is only the 4th time this race has Been run if so it was well organized and marshalled shame it’s not run a little later in the year as a nice warm day by the sea would make this race even better

Split wise 7:43, 7:41, 7:57,7:54, 7:47, 7:48, 7:48, 8:02,7:56, 7:56, 7:53, 7:56,7:30 and 1:36 for the last 0.23 miles Avg pace of 7:50

• RunningGuy - I did first 1 hr 20 min at 9:10-ish average and next 1hr 25 mins at 8:20 average - I felt like I'd used 2900 cals of energy, so 880 was a tad disappointing. B&T - I have checked that my weight and HR data are still stored and they appear to be. Not to worry, as long as my body is adapting to the training the accuracy of my Garmin calorie count doesn't matter.

Super-duper running from Toby3 and little Poohbear - and a 10 mile recovery run on top of that?! Thanks for adding me to the list.

Salisburylad, so glad you're on the mend. Take care of that foot though, resist the temptation to try to make up missed mileage, it's so easy for a niggle to resurface if you push it too soon.

Got on the treadmill for my recovery run this morning and positively flew through 11km. I expected heavy, tired legs after yesterday's 19-miler, but not a bit of it. Something's happening!! I think the training's working!!
  • hi gce  yes im doing the new forest 20 this weekend..Did it last year and its a nice flat route ideal for a training run

• Great posts over the last few days guys, have enjoyed reading them all. Rest day for me today to give my legs a chance to recover from the shock of finally getting back out for a couple of long runs at the weekend and decided not to do my usual and do too much at once then crash for the rest of the week, itching to get some more miles in tomorrow. You guys are great for motivation and all the improvements in my running this year (and it is a big improvement) is down to you guys so thanks :0)
  • Right Mark - a full race report. You asked for it!

Up at 6.30am, eating porridge, ea & toast by 7am, and out the door by 7.30 - yawn! 2 hours drive to the New Forest, arrived just in time to collect race number, queue for loo etc. 1 mile walk to the start along a crowded narrow pavement so no chance of a warm up jog, then at the start of a forest trail the Start sign could be seen. Rest of my family arrived on their bikes just as we were called to the start so I reluctantly peeled off my fleece jacket. The wind was bitterly cold and I'd struggled to decide what to wear knowing how hot I get in races vs. how cold the wind was! I finally decided on 2 long sleeve tops, no jacket, running tights, headband and gloves.

As we set off, the first 4 miles were fairly unexciting, through dusty trails of tall fir trees. My shoelace came undone in the first mile, but that was the only excitement. The trails were fairly narrow and I was trying to keep to an even pace, between 10:18 (for a 2:15 finish) and 10:32 (to match my Bristol HM time). When I passed the mile 5 marker, my Garmin was only reading 4.8M which was confusing, and it continued to be out all the way round. Hopefully it was  just because it lost the satelites under the trees, and not because the course was short!

At mile 6 we emerged onto Beaulieu Heath. The phrase 'the blasted heath' kept crossing my mind, because this was flat, had no trees for shelter, and was just totally windswept. The poor marshalls all looked frozen, but were still managing to smile and shout encouragement. It was really horrible running round here and I was relieved when at mile 8 we dropped down, and onto the off road section. I had a gel here just to make sure I had enough energy for the end of the race.

We had been warned that if the weather was wet then trail shoes would be appropriate. I just wore my road shoes as its been so dry lately. However I still managed to find lots of mud, lots of places where there was no discernible path and you just had to pick your way over it. At one enourmous boggy bit the marshall was directing us to try and jump onto a log and then off the other side, but I couldn't jump that far so he held my hand to help me. What a gent!

From mile 10 the route was beautiful. Through 'proper' forest, sheltered from the wind, over a little bridge over a river, through daffodills. Really pretty. Some uphill bits around mile 11, but I managed to run up them and even passed the group of people I'd been seeing in the distance for the entire race.image

The concrete railway bridge was hard on the legs, but as I crossed it I could see the college and knew we were nearly back. As I came round the corner of the building I knew the finish line was just there .... and then I was directed to run round the field before heading for the line (curses!) Just before the last corner the man in front of me collapsed. As I stopped to make sure he was okay, a friend of his ran towards us shouting "Asthmatic! He's asthmatic!" We got him to his feet and ran to the line where the St John's ambulance folk sprinted towards him, delighted to have something to do.(My daughter saw him a little later - sat with a blanket around him, looking fine. Phew!)

Crossing the line the clock said 2:16 something, my Garmin said 2:15:55, and my official time is 2:17 something (because I was held up in the funnel behind the asthmatic man) I'm taking 2:15:54 image My garmin finally said I'd run 13.0 miles, so I caught up a little!

Splits were 10:06, 10:11, 9:59, 10:34, 10:41, 10:43, 10:37, 10:40, 10:31, 10:40, 10:23, 11:05, 9:46 Very pleased my last mile was my fastest!

Felt like I was going down with a cold last night - had an awful night's sleep with coughing, so I missed m

• missed my run today and took a rest day instead. Feeling a bit stiff now, so I wish I *had* made it out for my recovery run!

Phew!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Black And Tabby wrote (see)

Felt like I was going down with a cold last night - had an awful night's sleep with coughing

Ditto image  This is the second year in a row I've caught a bad cough in time for the half marathon.  It's not in the chest, though, so I'm intending to resume training tomorrow.  Hope yours is okay too.

Great race reports!  Some really good pacing going on and some useful confidence building all around I think!

• B&T and Toby. Great reports.

I always take echinacea in he few weeks running up to race day. Always seems to kept the cold at bay, also I'm very slightly asthmatic and because of this get free flu jabs. They really do work!!!!

Feeling rather lethargic this week. Hopefully new trainers will turn up today (and fit) to regenerate my mojoimage

Less than 3 weeks til taper.
  • imageimage just looked at the Brighton marathon website, and (unless I am going mad), it seems that they have switched at a late stage to Gatorade for the energy drink, not Powerade as previously stated. Is it just me, or is this a kick in the *£)%(£ at this late stage for those of us who have been using Powerade to get used to it ??

• Salisbury lad. I thought we received an email some time back saying that Gatorade was the official drink. I didn't realise they had previously advertised powerade???

In all honesty the training that everyone on this forum has done will make the drink manufacturer irrelevant. Trust in your training that's what will get you through image
  • As Mark D said, I can safely say I couldn't tell you from one race to another which manufacturer provided the drinks - it really won't make a difference. I'm sure if you compare the ingredients on both Gatorade and Powerade they'll probably be identical anyway!

• Afternoon all

well 10 miles for me today and what a beautiful one it was must be the hottest day we've had in a long time first time out without a jacket have to say i glad they've got rid of the power aid as i personally didn't like it any way and have never used it

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

All the energy drinks taste cack.  Until mile twenty, at which point they taste like nectar.

8m recovery today.  Beautiful day for slowing down, which was just as well really.

• Thanks all - that has made me feel a lot better about the drink !! I shall just have to imagine it is that first pint of beer in 13 weeks and I am sure the world will feel rosy imageimage

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone considered turning this thread into a book and publishing it?
  • So many posts to read!!!

Excellent report B&T well done on the run as well!

I had a nice rest day yesterday and then today did 45 mins marathon pace (8.40), 10 mins walk then 30 mins back to marathon pace. I was dreading it initially as the last run/walk/run I did was disastrous! However, I really enjoyed it and managed to go faster in the last section than the first. the only thing I fogot was that it's not light if you go out at 5.30 for an hour and 20 mins...image no street lights in one section where I ran and I had no lights (very bad of me I know), but I was wearing a white top!

Debating where to run for 20 miles on Saturday......decisions, decisions. 

• SalisburyLad - love the idea of imagining its beer. Will taste wonderful then!

Mark - I've been taking echinacea since Monday - feeling okay during the day, but waking up coughing in the night and disturbing husband image so ending up on the sofa - yawn!

9.5M for me today - legs were feeling very tired, buy I guess running on tired legs is good practice for the big day!
  • 1:14:52 for five miles. Managing to keep under a 15 min/mile which I'm pleased about, even if I didn't match my previous time. Managed to jog the whole route too, even up New Walk which is a rather steep hill. image

• Snownmaiden good for you well done  kido imageimageimageimage

• Great runs from everyone, keep it going. I am delighted that after a quick (for me) 5.3 mile run yesteday (49 mins), no ill effects on the foot at all, so full steam ahead.

• Wow- impressive stuff on here- is very motivating! Well done to all for pbs and sticking to training goals- long slow run for me today.

Although my legs seem to be holding up well the fatigue after long runs is terrible at the moment Suspect is diet related so trying to eat and hydrate. Actually dreading how I will feel this evening ( and for next few days) Have my new gels to try so maybe they will help. Any ideas for quicker recovery? Thanks
  • CatherineP Do you use compression socks? i used to use them only after a run, but find them really good and having read someone's post on here I now wear them when running more than about 6 miles - recovery is much better.image

Re diet - try increasing protein intake can be meat/poultry/veg/pulse based but protein helps muscle repair (I'm sure you know that anyway sorry!). Keep well hydrated  the day before a long run as well as on the run itself? What about a foam roller? I also find that I am much better if I keep moving after a long run even just at a slow pace rather than collapsing in a heap which would probably be my preferred choice!!

Hope the new gels work

• Hiya. That's really useful. I have got some compression socks- to be honest I didn't really know what they were useful for(!)-they didn't seem to have much effect on run itself so just wear occasionally- didn't realise useful for recovery!

Also you may be right about protein- I havent really upped that in recovery phase- have been concentrating on eating carbs before the run to try and get the energy I need.

Feeling less dread now I know there are some easy changes to try- thanks image