Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Ice bathimage not that I wouldimage
  • Er... Think I will try other suggestions firstimage
  • Morning everyone! Question for you; would you recommend doing a marathon? Having a boring day at work and my mind is wondering and I'm curious
  • have been order by Poohbear  to take a couple of rest days as i now done 33 miles in 3 days and i think she wants me fit to go out with her on Saturday so will spend the next couple of days stretching off and using foam roller as legs feel i little tight at the moment

Yes have to say i would definitely recommend doing a marathon as it gives you a sense of achievement like no other that’s before i start the training

At the start of the training yes would recommend running a marathon as your fitness leave improves

In the middle of the training NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO as your body id s tired and you have no time to do anything else

Towards the end of the training yes as the excitement builds

During the race yes and no

And after you’ve run it yes having experience the atmosphere and the jubilation of finishing  there no feeling like it

• Thank you Toby thats a great reponse and definite food for thought image

• Toby - that's a perfect response! I think I'm currently in the 'middle of training' category, but hopefully just about to tip over into 'excitement building' image

Catherine - I've been wearing my compression socks whilst running as I've found it helps stop my shin splints imageimageimage Also a (clean!) pair after long runs. I gather somepeople have compression tights they were for recovery purposes, but I knowing how difficult my socks are to get on and off I don't think I could manage tights!!!

Feeling very tired today after Sunday's HM PB and yesterday's 9.5M. Schedule for today said 5M, I thought it was only 4M, but my legs said 3.35M was enough so I stopped then. Hopefully this is listening to my bdy and not just being lazy / chickening out???

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

9m super-easy today.  Feeling the fatigue effects of the race, or my cold, or both.

Rest day tomorrow.

• B & T you got out there image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

B&T the schedule is just a guide.  The person writing it doesn't know how your body will react to training and racing.  You are right to listen to your body.

• My body is saying sleep but my schedule is saying 15!!!!!

I feel a compromise coming on image
  • Has everyone got their pre-marathon evening meal sorted yet ... just tried to book at one of the main places (Pizza Express, Strada, Ask etc) in town and very few have bookings left between 5 and 9 on the Saturday night (mind you I am booking for 6 !). Managed to book at Bella Italia in the end. Worth getting it sorted ASAP I reckon, so you will be image instead of image

• Tillstart - I can say 100% yes to doing a marathon! I did my first one 20 years ago and loved it - it meant so much to be (more than other things I've achieved in life!). Brighton is only my second marathon, and having had ill health for a few years it's been ( and still is) somewhat challenging, but I know when i cross the line it will be a massive sense of achievement. It's a personal achievement no-one else but me is running (although the family put up with me out training for hours on end....).

CatherineP - yes, like B&T two pairs of socks - one for actual running and one for afterwards!

MarkD - enjoy the run whatever the decision!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    MarkD wrote (see)
    My body is saying sleep but my schedule is saying 15!!!!!
    I feel a compromise coming on image

Go to bed and dream about running 15m image

• Sooo tired tonight! 

Eastbourne half went ok although not very quickly as I did it in 2:27 image  and did a short recovery run yesterday which loosened my legs up nicely.  However, been really tired today and I have a 5 miler to do tomorrow at 6am as it's the only time I can fit it in.  So Toby, this is what the 'middle of training' feels like! image

Catherine P - compression socks are ace and they have really helped my weak ankle too image

• Thank you jellybaby for a fantastic response you have me convinced image
  • I'm also a convert to the benefits of compression socks - for the last 3 weeks I've been running in a race pair then wearing a recovery pair afterwards and it's made a real difference image. A long-standing niggle in my left calf (from previous training cycles), has mysteriously disappeared. I'd normally be braving the ice baths by now, but haven't felt the need - happy days!

BTW - to survive an ice bath I wear a hat, fleece top and have a very hot cup of tea in there with me. I also watch the minutes tick off on my phone stop watch.

Not surprised you lot are suffering this week - all those PBs and long runs are taking their toll. Loved Toby's response to Tillstar's question - very insightful Toby, I think you've summed it up perfectly for all of us.

If anyone needs recommendations for dinner pre-race the less well known places in Brighton won't be booked up yet. Aldo's Cafe is a fab little place in the North Laine area and it's cheap as chips. Also there's 'Gino's' which is a truly authentic Italian place more centrally located.

As for me, I set out at 6.30am for a 12 miler and ended up doing 13.09 miles. I'm calling it a mid-week half marathon even if it is a tad short. Been starving hungry all day though; that's one down side to marathon training.......trying not to eat your body weight in toast and jam. I'm on a rest day tomorrow, but I can guarantee the appetite won't be resting!!
  • 8 miles done today, a tad slower than normal as I am still recovering from doing Half Marathon on Sunday and then 10 mile recovery run with Toby3 on Monday.  Rest up now till 2nd attempt at 18 miles on Saturday.

With regard to pre-marathon pasta meal the expo usually does a selection of pasta based meals at a reasonable price if anyone is stuck for somewhere to eat.

• tillstar, would recomend 100% doing a marathon, I first vowed to just run one, just for the experience. Opps, 7 marathons later I'm still going. Its like an amazing life balancing drug. Do it do it do it, be wild, just enter one, deal with the questions afterwards.....

CatherineP - I was a sceptic on compression socks, but wear compression tights all the time now. Made a huge difference on recovery. (also do support the virtues of iced baths - but thats more sadistic than beneficial!)

Andy wright 18 - so another brave person doing the New Forest Festival 20 a second year in a row. I'm sure theyd have learnt god lessons from last year. 7 degrees, and dry until noon.

amazing, I hadnt followed the thread in the past 10 months, yet its the same group of you folk chatting away still. Am I right recalling poohbear, you only started running on te strength of watching toby3 last year? great effort.

Has everybdy hotel booked? I left too late, and now staying at Gatwick Saturday night, Brighton Sunday night..

• GCE - I have been running since 2008 but before last April when I signed up for this years Marathon to keep Snowmaiden company (mine and Toby3's daughter who had always said she would complete Marathon in 2013) I had never ran further than a 10K and that very slowly in over an hour and a half. 

Now almost 11 months down the line I find I am enjoying running and love the thrill of seeing the finish line and trying my hardest to get there quick enough to beat my previous time. 

Tillstar - I would say yes to recommending running a marathon as the focus that the training has given me and the confidence that comes with knowing I can run further than I have before has definitely given me a more positive outlook on life.  Hopefully I will still be able to say the same when I cross the finish line in 38 days time.

• Thank you poohbear (and everyone else) for your great answers. You have made me determined to do this one in 2014 and I have booked the day off work on the Friday to sign up at the exbo. I hope I enjoy it just as much as you guys seem to have done. I know I have said it before but this forum is great I really hope you all have a fantastic marathon :0)
  • Tillstar id say yes to doing a marathon too i did the first 3 brighton marathons again after saying id only do 1....the sense of pride and achievment is immense the only thing i will say is dont under estimate the time it takes for training its 3 months of putting yourself first image......you really do have to have an understanding family and friends.....and i do have understanding children (teenagers) and they have put up with late dinners and not going out for last 3 winters and so for this reason i decided to have a winter off training for the first time in 3 years so im not running this year.... but im still hoping to go down to brighton to cheer everyone on...

• Tillstar - if you're determined to run it, get your hotel booked ASAP!! We'e ended up staying miles away but hopefully it will be okay on the morning. And hopefully we'll be okay to find somewhere to eat on the Saturday night!!!

Lovely reading everyone's reasons for running a marathon. basically its a huge sense of satisfaction at doing something you never thought you'd be able to do. I staggered round London last year after getting injured training, so for me I'm getting a huge boost from actually managing the training this year! Don't underestimate how much time the training will take though, nor how tired / hungry you will feel all the time. And also don't underestimate how emotional you will feel on the day (or is that just me??)

• Hi all,

A friend and I are setting out to run the Brighton Marathon in support of the mental health charity Mind and a children's hospice in Chichester called Chestnut Tree House. 

In an effort to try and get creative with the fund raising what started as a stupid idea, dreamt up on a coffee break in the office, is now realised in this silly little video about marathon training. I thought you guys here might get a kick out of itimage

WATCH IT HERE — http://youtu.be/mrlUj6qjdyw

If it raises a smile a donation of £2 would be really appreciated.

Hope you enjoy it and good luck to all who are training for a spring marathon. Only 37 days to Brighton!

You can donate to me here http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/jrogers or my partner here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/mikewilliams12

Or just let us know what you think at - would love ot hear from you! http://www.facebook.com/headvheart

• Picklelilly - great restaurant choices image If anyone is staying at the Travelodge at Preston Park, there is Pizza 500 only a short walk away, which does the best pizza and pasta in Brighton imo....and is cheap and chips image

I echo what everyone says about running a marathon, the only thing I will warn you is that it is VERY addictive - I was sure I would only run one but once you've got the bug you will find it very hard to stop!

• Why did I start the debate about food, I get hungry every time I read a new post !!

Doing a 5 mile hilly run tonight .. have been missing the rain over the last couple of weeks, so will be good to run in the wet again image

Regarding whether I would advise others to run a marathon ... I haven't done my first yet, but from what I have experienced to date in my training, plus raising money for charity, it has already been a life changing experience. Two years ago, the furthest I had run was 2 miles. Today, I wouldn't think twice about going out for a 10 mile run at the drop of a hat ... and having done 20 miles, I still find it difficult to believe I actually did that.

Looking at the video's that Toby3 has posted, I simply cannot wait for the full 26.2 imageimageimage

• I unexpectedly have 2 nights booked (12th and 13th April) at the Pink Pavilion Bijou Guesthouse which I am no longer using. Would anyone be interested in purchasing these from me? It's fairly basic by the looks of things (and no breakfast provided), but close to sea front and very central. It's ??80/night. Please contact me if interested: ruthgibbins1983@hotmail.com
  • Thanks Salisbury lad that's a great answer and ha ha glad its not just me getting hungry reading about food.

Thought of a thousand reasons not to run to tonight but you guys are rubbing off on me and I went anyway and ran an extra mile :0)

4 day weekend for me as its my birthday on Saturday - for some reason my colleagues thought I was strange for being excited that the two extra days mean 2 long runs and no treadmill :0)
  • hi all. Thanks for earlier advice about compression socks and protein. I went for both things and used gels as well in my long slow 16 miles. Feel so much better this week than last week. I have a half on Saturday (am a week behind I know!) so hope it will go well!!

I have ordered extra pair of compression socks too image

Another question:

How is the Brighton course for spectators- is there opportunity to be at the start, pick up the route part way and also be at the finish?! I will be out there a good 5 hours I reckon!!
  • Hi Catherine

The course is fantastic for spectators - the first year I ran it, my husband was running London the week after so was on spectating duties for me, and he managed to see me 5x. Much easier to see people and get around than London.

Have you seen the course map which should give you a bit of an idea http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/course.php

I  would suggest going to Preston Park with you, then when you go into your start pen, they head to Old Steine where they'll get to see you twice in quite quick succession (mile 3 and mile 4.5). Then they have a bit of time while you head out east and I'd suggest they go to Grand Avenue (mile 14) as they will see you going into Hove and then coming out of Hove (mile 18). Then when you head west and out towards Shoreham power station, they've got plenty of time to get onto the seafront and see you on the home stretch image