Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• 12 for me last night, 3 easy then 9 at marathon pace.

Easy run today to work and back then an offroad run tomorrow morning. Planning on doing at least 13 and may add more at the end depending on how I feel. Running with a guy who's completed a few sub-3 marathons in his time so hoping I can get a few good tips. Just having some company should help with getting through the miles. Still get seriously bored out on my own!

Will be doing a two week taper and be getting in another 22 miler before I start that.

Seriously hoping the weather sorts itself out over the next month!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Ruth Gibbins wrote (see)
    I still say less is more at this point! I think short, fast runs are most useful at this point. Don't exhaust yourselves with too many long ones! 

I disagree, but hey, whatever works for you.

This weekend I have 18m including 14m at MP.  Next week will be my final 20m run before the taper.  I'm just about to set out on a leisurely 11m - hopefully before the rain arrives.

• With previous marathons I've put in huge mileage and ended up knackering myself, but I did a massive PB in a 20 mile race a few weeks ago and I know it's because I'm not over-trained for once, but you're right - different things work for different people. It's taken me years to work out what's best for me!
  • Ruth I tend to agree with tenjiso. 20 mile pb is great but a marathon only starts at 20 miles;) It's all about balance and a 3 week taper should get all the tiredness out of your legs if done correctly. Having said that I'm always tinkering with my plans so if it suits you then stick with it.

Tillster I booked Preston park travel lodge last year as soon as I finished the race. I'm pretty sure I guessed the date for this years marathon. Anyhow it paid off. ??74 for 2 nights on marathon weekend is a bargain. If that date is set in stone for next year then I would book early again. You can always cancel if things don't go to plan

Dorney lake half tomorrow, got a cold today so not sure how its gonna pan out first half I've ever done on a Saturday.

My last LSR is next Sunday. A really really leisurely 25 miler.

Lots of rain this weekend so make sure your water proof!!!!
  • I agree that it should, but I think my whole runnjng attitude has changed since so did a 60 mile ultra in Autumn last year and the mileage was so high that it rely knackered me out for months afterwards. I've in the past always done multiple 20milers before marathons, but I felt like I was champing at the bit in the recent 20 mile race, so know it was the perfect pace for me. I felt like I had everything left to give for that final 10k. Bring on Brighton and PBs for us all!!!
  • Think I'm trying to teach my grandma how to suck eggs here image if you've done a 60 mile ultra Ruth then I'm pretty sure you know what works best for you image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    All this long run talk and thanks to my log on Fetch I know now what works. So that's no longer than 18 miles and then similar taper to Redhead image

So going to do 15 miles next Thursday.
  • My last few last few LSR go like this 15,20,14,10 and a 16, 20, 8, 6 with Poohbear so at this point 5 miles here or there aren’t going to make a blind bit of difference

although having said that the 20 with Poohbear may not happen as she going up to Leicester to the run with Snowmaiden but at the moment it depends which day Snowmaiden gets off work as i work Sunday nights and can’t get the time off work to go up to run with them

• Thanks for the tip Mark D

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭
    Jo Collins 4 11/03/2013 at 11:38 said:

Hello - new to forums. So Hi! Some advice please - this is my second marathon. Did Liverpool last year - in 4hrs 3mins and decided to see if I could break the 4hour. My training is sporadic as I am a full time mum of two, with an OH that is away all the time. So some weeks I get one mid week run in of about 6 miles and that's it. I did 20 yesterday in 2hr 55. So on track for a sub 4hr do you think? My average was about 8.47min / mile. I felt okay and it boosts my confidence that I can prob do a sub4. But i have read that you are supposed to do the long runs at a much slower pace. Why? Are you really going to gain a minute per mile on race day? Also how are my final few weeks of training best spent, bearing in mind that my time is soooooo limited. Doing Reading half on sunday and want to try and really go for it - sensible? and then will do 20 miles the following week before tapering. Mid week wise, if I can only get out for one run (in the dark) hows it best spent? Thanks for your help!

############

Not sure anyone has replied. You should be fine for sub-4h at that pace. I'm no expert, but I suggest one long slow run per week, 20 miles if you can. Also try a tempo run, ie your target pace, per week. Best aim for several miles at that pace, plus a warm up and cool down. Apart from that look at any schedules, eg on runners world for ideas. For my only two marathons I ran 3-4 times per week, and for me that was needed.

It is good to do the long runs slow. I'm not quite sure why, but injury prevention is certainly one factor.
  • Hmmm, decisions decisions. Only done 1 20-miler, so do I take the distance on again next week, or cut back and give my legs a rest? It would be 3 weekends of 18miles+ in a row, so I'm not sure if there's time to recover before M-day.

But I think I'd feel more confident if I got another 20-miler done... hmmm...

• Lots of differing and interesting views here - I have tempo pace for short runs (10kn pace), then my LSR is about 20 seconds slower per mile than my marathon pace. Last week i did 20 miles in 3.02, and tomorrow is scheduled for 22 at 9.00 min/mile. After that I do a 16 then 13 type of thing with shorter runs for the next 2 weeks then onto real relaxing!!

JO- I was tempted to do a HM in France this weekend with my OH coming with me to celebrate our wedding anniversary (not running though!), but was advised not to as my legs are tired and I would not want to enter a race and run slowly! My competitive streak would take over and I know I would want a PB etc. There's a HM over here in June so I'll just have to be patient and wait for that one instead! It depends on each individual I think - sorry to sit on the fence!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I arrived back home from my 11m run about ten minutes before the heavens opened.  Result.

• Evening all

Well opted for a very wet and wind 20 miles today got home looking like a drowned rat so just a 15, 14, 10 left

Thought i struggled a bit today at times and got to just over 20miles and the leg said enough’s enough and i walked up the last hill before jogging home

But when i down loaded the run from the Garmin it turns out i wasn’t any slower than the last few 20 mile runs I’d done but now i am only about 10 minutes faster than last year

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Toby - well done image
  • Very envious of your discipline Toby. Seems you've maintained a great structured training?

I'm supposed to do an 18 today, then my final lsr next weekend is the cranleigh 21. Thinking today being a 16 won't do any harm? (regret having a glass of wine last night)
  • Travel Lodge Preston Park 4.00pm Saturday

Toby3

Poohbear

Tenjiso

Lombster + 1

Kathy H probable

Snowmaiden

Mark D

Jellybaby

The Green Fairy

Picklelilly

just encase anyone wants to add there name

• Good morning! Hope you guys don't mind but I'm after a little advice - I have a chesty cough - can I still run if I just take it slow? Im itching to get out there and its taken me so long to get myself motivated I don't want to miss a day unnecessarily but I equally don't want to make myself worse and be out of action for longer.
  • rule of thumb if the colds in your head your OK if it's on your chest give it a rest

• Tillster ditto Toby.

At dorney lake half. For all those that done MK marathon last year this is twice as bad!!!!! All hopes of a good race out the window image
  • Tillstar, agree with Toby3 as well, just keep an eye on the colour of any muck you produce, green could indicate an infection.......
  • It is horrendous out there image I wanted to do one last 20+ mile off-road run, then a couple of 20 milers on-road before a mini taper for Brighton.

Conditions were awful on the South Downs - some of the snow from earlier in the week has melted into a mud bath, there is still a lot of snow up there and some of it has drifted (at times I was running in snow up to my kneesimage), sleet and rain was battering my face and the wind knocked me over a couple of times! As runs go, timewise it was an absolute shocker (13 min mile pace!image) but as a toughen-me-up run ready for the Ultra in May then I'm sure it must have had some benefits!

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Barbie - well done you. I've done Jog Shop Jog and it was in good weather and Beachy Head in shit weather. You deserve to put your feet up for the rest of the weekend x
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Well done on the tough long runs Barbie/Toby.

Nice easy 5m recovery on the treadie for me today.  Looking forward to and dreading tomorrow's run in equal measure (18m including last 14m @ MP).  If I can tick that one off, it will be a great confidence boost.  I'm running it at Milton Keynes, as they have an organised training run that I've registered for.

• Tracey - I've only done Beachy once (last year) and the conditions were ok (well apart from the last 6 miles when it decided to sleet! image) I've heard that the conditions have been horrendous on some years though - I love running on the South Downs but boy is it evil at times!

• Was at dorney lake half today also. Horrific conditions first hour but thankfully got better and even managed a cheeky pb at 1:53! One 21/22 miler next week then tapering down for the big day
  • Good runs everyone especially in these conditions. Went out and did 19.5miles, wind, rain, mud and a heavy cold didn't help. Good to get out for over 3hours with fellow runners from running club. Might go to gym tomorrow the light weight workouts along with the bike seem to really help.

Hope you all have a great weekend
  • Louise was that just nasty or what!!!!!!??????

Hard going doing 4.5 laps too but upside it was pancake ( and I mean pancake) flat. Also ran fastest half in 18 months for me so all on track for the big one!!!!

Plus I beat my running partner who I never beat so bonus too image

Surely Brighton will be kind to us weather wise?????

Enjoy your weekend all.
  • Well done Lou and Mark for stonking races in horrendous conditions! image

• Thanks for the advice guys gonna rest today since its torrential rain but dosing up and feeling brighter so gonna give it a go tomorrow and hopefully get a long one in but will see how I feel. Well done in all the good runs everyone :0)