Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Afternoon all

well back from a 16 miler with Poohbear turned into one of those runs you have now and again i think she a bit disappointed how badly it went i told you get these runs every now and then learn from what went wrong and move on to the next one

but as usual i will let Poohbear give you all the gory details 

• I'm sure Alison will be fine on the day Alan. We all have the odd off run
  • Mark is was definitely an experience but was great to know we did well so I feel unfazed if that happens in the marathon!

Dorney is right next to me so been lucky racing there many times before.

Guess all those runs in the snow, wind and rain really pay off instead of using the treadmill, feel very used to those conditions now!!!

Thanks barbie must say feeling good image
  • Well done for those of you with horrendous conditions, yes be positive it will benefit you in Brighton coming along the seafront!

I managed 22 miles today in 3.23, a bit disappointed to be honest with the time. But, 5 miles were uphill and on the way home I also faced horrendous headwind and hail for a few miles as well. Just kept telling myself that in Brighton there will people who are bigger than me so I can shelter behind them!

Glad you're feeling a bit better Tillstar.

Don't be disappointed Poohbear, better to have a not so great run now than in 4 weeks time! image
  • Hi all

I thought I had had a bad run today, as I had to walk more of it than I originally intended due to going off too fast at start.  But when Toby3 downloaded his Garmin onto the computer I had actually completed the 16 miles 12 minutes faster than previous 16 miler 5 weeks ago, so not as bad as I thought.

It was a learning curve run - three points - 1) dont go off too fast at start, 2) dont eat too late at night the night before a training run or race, 3) dont go to bed later than normal the night before either.

Got very wet and cold at about mile 8 which didnt help either, must wear more layers so can take some off if get too hot.

All in all not as bad as I had thought and lots of things to learn by.

Thanks Jelleybaby - hopefully I can learn from mistakes so marathon day is a good experience.  Glad you managed 22 miles and I am sure most people running will be taller than me so might shelter behind too!

• I'm still off the running resting my right calf. Constant cold packs, rest, ibuprofen gel seem to be making some difference. It is still sore, but much less so than 3 days ago.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Poohbear - well done on your long run in horrible conditions today. I've made the classic mistake in my first marathon of running too fast in the early miles.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Barbie - I love Beachy Head marathon so much that I've done it the last 7 years image
  • Well I woke up this morning still feeling groggy but determined not to use it as yet another excuse to start next week I went anyway telling myself I would see how I feel and if I was still too chesty I would come home and at least I would have tried.  So 2hr 55 and 16 miles later I got home.  That last mile was horrible but I was determined to make 16 today.  Just checked my Garmin and its a fair bit slower than I did it last time but as I havent done much training recently and am still struggling with a cold thats good enough for me.  BM2014 training starts here - no more excuses!

• Well done tillstar. I was feeling horrible yesterday ans was lucky enough to be able to go out with my running club. I would have struggled to be motivated to run in those horrible conditions on my own.

Now you have done today's runit will set u up for the rest of training whatever your goals this yr or next.
  • Tillstar, well done hitting the 16, despite feeling groggy.

The joy of such bad weather now, is it can only be better in 27 days (& 18 hrs).
  • well done all for getting out there day

• Thanks everyone! I possibly over did it as had to have a long nap when I got home but I'm back on track and going to build up to doing that distance and longer again.

Surely all this horrid weather means it has to be nice for you guys on marathon day :0)
  • Not long back from a 45 min run at easy pace - weather still very windy but at least the sun was shining! Felt ok despite yesterday's long run, apart from the initial shock to the knees that they are being made to work again! Fortunately, the pain settles after about 20 seconds of running.

I can't believe it's only 4 weeks to go!!! image

• 12 mile run for me today, along a stunningly sunny estuary cycletrack. The estuary was like a millpond. Best run of the year, weatherwise. Last heavy week of marathon training ahead, then it's the slow taper down to Brighton. Four weeks today, it'll all be over and I'll be looking for another challenge!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Tillstar wrote (see)
    Surely all this horrid weather means it has to be nice for you guys on marathon day :0)

I'm starting to hope not!  I will be completely unprepared for nice weather!! image

It was garbage weather on the organised Milton Keynes training run today.  Who'd have though it?  Heavy rain, sleet and cold at Milton Keynes?  Never happens on a race day!  Oh wait.... image

My plan for today was four miles easy, then fourteen miles at marathon pace (gulp!).  My target pace for the MP miles was 9:00 - 9:09 (4hr marathon pace) and my splits for the run were:

10:19/10:45/10:09/10:39

9:06/9:14/8:57/9:00/9:03/8:50/9:05/8:59/9:09/9:04/9:07/8:53/8:40/8:59

My overall average was 9:20 pace, but more importantly my average for the fourteen marathon pace miles was 9:00 pace. Well happy with that! I took Sis Go gels at 6.5 miles and 12.5 miles. The latter was just as I was feeling a slight dip in energy level due to vertical snow and horizontal rain (at the same time? how????? image). It seemed to do the trick, even if it was psychological.

I felt fine at the finish. Tired, but okay – and not wiped out by any shot. A fabulous session to have completed and another 54 miles bagged this week. Only one more week before the taper!

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    Almost pulled out of this one, got a minor calf tear 6 weeks ago but has taken ages to heal, did a 13 mile run on the treadmill on Thursday so decided to do the Reading half today, not sure the time but it was sub 1:30 which was a surprise, so will be trying to get some miles in, no taper for me, any tips to get up to marathon distance in such a short time?
  • An ear infection has put paid to any training this week as my balance has been really affected image My longest run so far is 16 miles and as a newbie to this marathon lark, I am concerned whether I will make it!  If I'm well enough, I am hoping to go for a run on  Tuesday and do a LSR of 19 miles at the weekend.  Will this be enough mileage to get me around on race day?  I'm aware that I need to taper too but time is running out - any advice would be appreciated...

• 22 miles in freezing, rain then sleet & finally snow this morning.

• Slowly steadily, relax. You'll be fine. It's still a month to go. If you get another LSR in, and allow yourself a fortnight to taper.

The joy of being your first marathon, there's no pressure on time, what ever you achieve, it'll be a PB!

It's all about completion and enjoying the experience.

Hope the ear infection sorts itself.

Best of luck,
  • Many thanks Tenjiso & Curly for your responses to my mid-pace dilemma. Reflecting on your comments, I'm probably a bit new to all this to worry about pace mediocrity just yet. Maybe next time I'll actually follow a training plan, then I'll have more of a clue what I should be aiming for with each run.

My made-up weekly routine consists of a speed interval session (7 miles), a mid-length run (13 miles), a threshold/tempo run (7 miles) and a LSR, plus cross training on the spin bike. Nothing like the mileage some forumites are putting in, but it's more than I've ever done before and I'm not injured, so I can live with that.

Took the train out to Littlehampton this morning and ran through the freezing wind and horizontal rain to get home - 20 miserable miles. Didn't enjoy it one bit, or the ice bath afterwards image

I know you feel my pain; reading the posts on here it seems everywhere has had terrible weather this last day or so. Please, please, please let it be decent weather on race day! I've moaned so much about the weather I'm boring myself.

Wishing all poorly people well, and all achy bits a swift recovery. We're so nearly there now.
  • Ive ran brighton last 3 years and ive always come away with a tan line even last year when it was a little cooler the sun was still shining!!! 2011 was 23 degrees maybe have been more and 2010 was 19 degrees but every year has been sunny .....

• Well the weekend is over but I got in more training than I thought I would.

SATURDAY I only did the parkrun in Milton Keynes and with the warm up I only did 4 miles. Did the 5k in 00:22:11 but the wind of Willien Lake was very strong and slowed me down a lot.

SUNDAY: 15 hours before the event, I found an event called the NICETRI 18 mile in Cambridgeshire, so I turned up Sunday morning, entered, did 18 miles and finished 44th out of 103 with a time of 02:27:34. The first 9 miles I was doing marathon pace but then the second half I had to go to a steady pace as my body is still not used to doing a marathon pace at long distances. Still a got a few more weeks before Brighton to get a few extra long mile runs in.

Today is a rest day to let my body recover but I see what my body is like tomorrow and I might try and get out for a 10 mile or at least 45 minutes worth of running. 

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Picklelilly wrote (see)
    Many thanks Tenjiso & Curly for your responses to my mid-pace dilemma. Reflecting on your comments, I'm probably a bit new to all this to worry about pace mediocrity just yet. Maybe next time I'll actually follow a training plan, then I'll have more of a clue what I should be aiming for with each run.

My made-up weekly routine consists of a speed interval session (7 miles), a mid-length run (13 miles), a threshold/tempo run (7 miles) and a LSR, plus cross training on the spin bike. Nothing like the mileage some forumites are putting in, but it's more than I've ever done before and I'm not injured, so I can live with that.

Took the train out to Littlehampton this morning and ran through the freezing wind and horizontal rain to get home - 20 miserable miles. Didn't enjoy it one bit, or the ice bath afterwards image

I know you feel my pain; reading the posts on here it seems everywhere has had terrible weather this last day or so. Please, please, please let it be decent weather on race day! I've moaned so much about the weather I'm boring myself.

Wishing all poorly people well, and all achy bits a swift recovery. We're so nearly there now.

Never too new to worry about doing it correctly! If you want further advice after Brighton pop onto the middle ground thread and we'll see if we can tailor it to you directly. Some very smart people on there (and me hanging around cluttering up the place image)

Sounds like your training is working despite the miserable 20 miler image

• It seems that everyone's training regime is different and perhaps that what it should be? Variety is the spice of life and it has to suit the person it's designed for.

My weekly regime is generally a hill session; speed session; one or two middle length runs and one long run on Saturdays. My weekly total has not been more than 40 miles max, but I know from my times I'm running better than 20 year ago. I also do odd sessions of spinning and pilates on a weekly session for my core posture.

I'm hoping for mild weather in Brighton - don't mind a bit of rain I just don't want it to be windy - that's my least favourite element to run in.

Good run Daniel - enjoy the rest day!

• My calf is on the mend, only a slight soreness now after 5 days of rest. Looking forward to a couple of gentle miles on Weds. May give compression socks a try, quite a few people on the blog seem to swear by them - at this stage, anything that may help recurring injury ... image

• Definitely give the compression socks a try, not just whilst training, but to aid recovery too.
  • Compression socks are great!  I was wearing mine yesterday after my 16 miles and my legs are fine today which is pretty surprising as 16 was probably more than i have done in the last 2 weeks put together.

• Thanks guys - what make do you have ?

• I have skins calf compression socks there may be better options but these are what I used to wear under my hockey shin pads and they work for me :0)