Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• morning all

well just 5 for me yesterday did them on the treadmill have 5 today and 15 on Friday then both me a nd Poohbear are of to Leicester on Friday as were doing a20 mile run with Snowmaiden on Saturday

• I should be leaping out of bed to don some running gear. An 8miker to work this morning for me, 4 mile hill session Saturday then the Cranleigh 21 Sunday.

...then it's taper time. Unlike previous marathons, want to be careful to continue running on declining mile levels, and avoid just stopping!
  • Advice after ... in the taper period where the mileage declines, is there any point doing a "hard" run .., so for example if you are doing 5 miles, does it make any difference if you make it harder with hills, or tempo/fartlek, or is that just putting too much strain on your body this close to the marathon, and you are better off just doing a nice gentle run ?

• GCE wrote (see)
    I should be leaping out of bed to don some running gear. An 8miker to work this morning for me, 4 mile hill session Saturday then the Cranleigh 21 Sunday.

...then it's taper time. Unlike previous marathons, want to be careful to continue running on declining mile levels, and avoid just stopping!

This is exactly what I did last year, I didn't have a clue about tapering.

• Hi Guys, Sorry to ask a question here that is not BM related but I couldnt find a forum to ask it on and you guys have helped me so much this year I hoped you would be able to give me some advice. 

I have a half marathon in 2 weeks.  I wasnt going to do it but I know I can do the distance (have run 13.1 several times training and did 16 last week)  Its never going to be a good time or probably near the 2.05/2,10 I have done when training as I have lost a bit of fitness over the past few weeks but its my first one so whatever I do will be a PB ad its all experience.

My question is: What is the best way to fill the time between now and 7 April so that I can be as prepared as possible?

I was thinkning of  3/4 5Ks in the week as I dont get time for much else around work (some fast some slower depending on how legs are doing) and then  1 x 10 and 2 x 13 as well a couple of shorter faster runs. All with at least one rest day a week and rest the last 2 days before the race.  Does this sound ok or should I do something else?

Thanks in advance

• Was at Hammerfest in Pwhelli, Wales, over the weekend and went running with a couple of my friends. Did a five mile run along the coast to stunning views and finished up on the beach, throwing pebbles in the sea. Took about two hours, mostly because one of my friends kept having to stop and catch her breath, but not complaining.

Much better time for five miles yesterday though, about an hour and 20mins. So not too rusty. image

Poohbear and Toby3 are coming up to Leicester this weekend for the last long run before the taper. 20miles to my place of work and then we're gunna pick stuff up for a fry up. I'm both looking forward to it and very nervous. It should be fun but it's a very long way.

• Tillstar - if its fitness levels you want to increase are you better doing hill reps/speed work etc rather than more long runs? Do you need to do 2 13 milers and a 10? I'm not experienced enough to really give a proper answer, that's just my thinking.....others on this thread have massive amounts of experience and will respond I'm sure. Good luck though!

Did a pleasant 6 miles this am in the rain averaging about 8.45 mins/mile.

If the weather doesn't start to warm up I might have to worry about being cold on the run! Haven't yet run in just my charity T shirt as it's still too chilly!!! I feel the need to start making a list of things to take to Brighton..........perhaps I need to go back to work and not be on holiday, then it would take my mind off the event! image

Glad you got out at last B&T

• Never thought I would be so excited about going out for a 2 mile run later after a week of complete rest ... image plus is my first chance to do my Paula Radcliffe impression with my new knee high compression socks. Salisbury won't know what has hit it !!

• Thank you Jellybaby for the advice - will re consider my plan image and ha ha Sailsbury Lad sounds good, enjoy your run

• i would be more inclined to do a 10 and 11 then a 9 the week before rather than trying to put in a lot of high mileage and make your shorter runs harder i try and run them at race pace have never done hill reps as were i live it’s every run is includes hill training of some form or another if i want to get home

• Thank you very much Toby, that makes a lot of sense, I see you are right and a lot of slow miles isnt going to help me as much on the day as what you suggest, race pace makes more sense so thanks.  And my area sounds like yours i also cant avoid hills if I want to get home tho do confess to sometimes taking the longer route with the genteler hill :0)

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Barbie - that's useful information about the marathon start, thanks.

To those asking about the taper.... the idea is to reduce the mileage but not the intensity of runs.  So run intervals (for example) at the same pace you have been during the bulk of your training, but reduce the number of reps you perform.  The idea is to stay sharp and be adequately rested for the marathon, without losing too much fitness (a small fitness decline in the taper is likely and acceptable).

Neil, I'll be running a 20m race on Sunday before tapering for three weeks.  I will not be racing as such, but running to my normal LSR pace and practicing elements of my race day strategy (gels/hydration).

Today I ran 10m, including 4x1m @ 5k pace.  The run had an added element of toughness when a gingerbread man visit was threatened from the seventh mile.  It felt like a pointy stick was thrust into my abdomen.

Rest day tomorrow.  I wish I could get rid of my cough! image

• Last year I ran every single training run, short or long, with a bottle of water containing one or two High 5 electrolyte tablets.

What did I forget on the day? Yep, my High 5 tablets. And I suffered terribly in the last few miles with cramp.

Those tablets work wonders, I wont forget them this year. I'm convinced that by forgetting them I was doomed from the start.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭
    neil spicer 3 wrote (see)
    SailsburyLad

I read this article on tapering a few days back;

http://m.runnersworld.com/race-training/its-taper-time?page=2

Thanks for the link. It has some good advice.

I have already done my last LSR (before the marathon image) It was a good day to do so: cool, overcast with only a threat of rain. But being a week with the most mileage in it, I have got another 24 miles to go!

I presume after this week, everyone is going to taper, and hope everyone's plans are going well.image

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    SalisburyLad wrote (see)

Advice after ... in the taper period where the mileage declines, is there any point doing a "hard" run .., so for example if you are doing 5 miles, does it make any difference if you make it harder with hills, or tempo/fartlek, or is that just putting too much strain on your body this close to the marathon, and you are better off just doing a nice gentle run ?

Barbie1976 wrote (see)
    Jelleybaby wrote (see)

Just a thought people who have run this course before - I know there is a hill of sorts which is fine, but what is the down hill part like? Gradually going down??

Also, how busy is it at the start - can you get into your pace fairly easily of does it take a few miles? I think I put down as an estimate time of 4 hours (hoping for under that though), so not sure how busy or which start area I'll be in. Any info much appreciated!

Hi Jelleybaby

The hills (nothing more than inclines honestly image) are gradual both up and down, seriously nothing to worry about at all.

If you put under 4 hours you will be in the 03:45 - 04:00 start pen. There will be announcements at Preston Park calling runners to get to their start pen from about 8.30am (they are quite strict on runners going into their correct start pen as per their colour coded time). It won't take you any more than 3-4 minutes from the gun going to cross the start line if you're in the 03:45 - 04:00 pen.

The first mile or so is a lap around the outside of Preston Park (there's a slight hill there) so you probably won't really get into your stride in that first mile but after that the road widens as you head away from the park so you'll be able to get into your pace easily from then. The bit through Kemptown (mile 4 - 5) is the only bit where the road narrows a bit but by then people will have found their pace and you won't be jostling from room.

From then onwards you head out onto the seafront so the road is nice and wide, and then apart from the bit where you go through Hove (miles 14-18) it's seafront all the way.

Just to let you know they have changed the starts this year... personally I am a little miffed that they will now be 3:15-4:00... in my eyes thats far too big a variation to have in one pen, but there you go, will just have to be a little more assertive than usual about getting in a good spot!

Tapering for those asking there are many ways to skin the cat, but the one key tenet is reduce mileage but keep the intensity.

So for example, if you have been doing a weekly session of intervals, one mp run and 4 easy runs (one of which is the lsr), you would retain both sessions but reduce the number or reps or distance ran, and reduce the mileage on the other 4 runs...

You want to arrive at the start line sharp, fit and relaxed. You should currently be fit but fatigued. The worst thing your taper can do is make you sluggish if you over taper so retaining the intensity helps to keep the sharpness.

• Going to wish my life away. I'm so looking forward to Sunday, when the 21 day count down starts...
  • I'm dissapointed about the start groups too. Last year there were people who should have been in the group behind in our pen. I thinks its pretty clear how you get to where you should be.

Naturally you want to get into a rythem as soon as you can, and weaving around people you shouldn't have to be weaving around doesn't help.

Lets face it, a lot of people aim to finish under 4 hours so it'll be rammed in there.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Indeed - as someone who is looking for something around 3:15 this is a pain because I do not want to go out too fast but I also dont want to get stuck behind people who will be running a lot slower than me. I'll try to keep relaxed about it of course, but its difficult come race day!

• A 3:15 - 4:00 start pen?! That's ridiculous! Sorry Jelleybaby I was basing my info on previous years and the fact that you had to put your predicted start time by the same 15 minute groups this year.

There is a HUGE difference between a 3:15 runner and a 4:00 runner! Don't worry all you speedy runners, I know my place and that is towards the back of the 03:15 - 04:00 pen! image

• I can see there will be more pissing going on in the pen this year with everyone worrying about getting into the right place.

Hope to see less 'lady gardens' this year image

• Curly45. Just get tight at tge start of the front pen then...or you could have submitted official evidence that you have run a 3:15, then you would be starting with the Elites in Withdean park, tis what I did..
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    neil spicer 3 wrote (see)
    Curly45. Just get tight at tge start of the front pen then...or you could have submitted official evidence that you have run a 3:15, then you would be starting with the Elites in Withdean park, tis what I did..

Yeah, but I didnt have it...been on a huge improvement curve and am just getting in that sort of shape now, even in the autumn I was thinking about 3:30. My current mara pb is 3:56 for starters image I do have other races now that point towards the 3:15 sort of time, but it seems the Brighton organisers have been quite tough with the level of "proof" required and I assumed they would take one look at my mara time and run a mile (or 26.2 ha ha), nevermind that it was a jogged effort, but they cant know that!

Jealous about your start ,hope you have a brilliant race image

• Curly - the 3:15 to 4:00 is the same as last year ( or nar damn it). Basically last year you could get right to the front of that pen in you wanted with no problem/argynargy etc. People were very sensible !!

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    AmGettingFitter (AGF) wrote (see)

Curly - the 3:15 to 4:00 is the same as last year ( or nar damn it). Basically last year you could get right to the front of that pen in you wanted with no problem/argynargy etc. People were very sensible !!

I dont think it is...the map on the guide (page 20 I think) shows last years pens as much smaller (assumed they used the map from last year).

And OH and others on this thread remember smaller pens image

• I was definitely in the 03:45 - 04:00 pen last year and my husband was in 03:15 - 03:30, I remember us going our separate ways!
  • ah -ok Apologies Guys. It was easy to get near the front of the red pen last year. The pen I was in. Nobody was play silly beggars. 

• I knew there had to be some advantage aiming for 4:45 imageimage

• .. in total I should clarify, not per mile image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I'm going to start near the front of the 3:15 pen and (literally) hold on to Curly's shirt.  At least until she notices why it's more of an effort than expected. image