Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Where is the information about the start corrals?  I can't find where it says about what time goes in each pen?

I'm thinking that being at the back of the pen will probably be a good thing for me, as it should help stop me from setting off too fast and I shouldn't have to do any weaving.  Unless those slow-coaches in the 4:01 pen start off too fast! image

• That is a ridiculous size for a pen!!!

All I can say is if you can get to the front of the pen you won't have anyone in front of you cos the 'elite' won't be thereimage

The route opens out quite quickly so I don't think anyone will be held up too much.
  • Feel like my running has gone down hill the last couple of weeks image Ran 18 miles the weekend before last which I felt really good about, but just didn't seem to recover the week after and ended up doing a lot less miles than planned, and during my 14 mile weekend run I foolishly wore different socks to usual and got a massive blister on the sole of my foot. Was supposed to do 10 miles today after a achey 5 miles yesterday...only did 3 miles after the pain of the blister got too much. 

Am starting to get worried that I'm just not recovering like I used to and am now panicking that the blister wont heal on time for my planned 20 miles on saturday, eugh! Hoping it's just first marathon nerves and all will come together. 

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

I'm going to start near the front of the 3:15 pen and (literally) hold on to Curly's shirt.  At least until she notices why it's more of an effort than expected. image

You'd have a job...

I'm planning on wearing my club crop top image

• Tenjiso you may have received an email from Groundevents today Page 18 has the corals in it. There's a red one for 3.15 - 4.00 then 4.00 - 4.30 then 4.30 - 5.00. It seems a bit odd to me that the faster of the runners are all in one coral??? I know I'm aiming for less than 4.00 - hopefully 3.45/3.50 but I'm not going to get in the way of all those doing 3.15 - 3.45 so I'll better be nearer the back, I just didn't want to weave too much etc.....oh well.

Sian try not to panic, look at your diet and fluid intake not just on the day of your run but the day before as well. i always try to drink more fluid the day before I run a long run and eat more protein to help repair muscles etc. Strawberry soya milkshake is a favourite for me afterwards as well! Good luck!

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    I'm in the sub 3:15 pen but due to injury leading up to this, maybe starting at the back, still looking forward to it, went to Uni in Brighton so would be good to see the old sites, hoping that it's not a windy Brighton day, remember some nasty ones along the sea front back in the old days
  • Is there a pen for 6hrs plus?  Cos that is where I will be heading!  As I have said earlier on in this thread, the thrill of crossing the finish line and getting my medal will be enough for me.

8 miles today in just over 2 hours on the treadmill.  Going to Leicester this weekend to complete final long run (20 + 1 miles) before taper.

Can't believe it is now just over 3 weeks to the marathon - where has the year gone since I registered at the Expo last April?

Lots of good advice going on in this thread  Hope everyone is feeling strong and looking forward to the race now.

• Finally made it out for my last long run! It had to be squeezed between getting the kids out to school, and the British Gas man coming between 12 and 2. So a real race against the clock! Ran round the village and past our house a few times just after 12 in case he turned up, and finally decided not to push my luck too far and stopped at 12:25pm having run 19.1M. That will have to do!

Salisbury Lad - I've still only written my compression socks with long tights - I'm such a chicken!

Interesting talk of pens - I'll be at the back, so no worries there image

Oh and thanks for the Poundland Waterproof coats hint - popped in and bought one today. Got to be worth a pound to avoid the bin bag shuffle!
  • Just ordered ponchos from amazon, 2 for ??1.69 - bargain

Hopefully it won't be wet, and we won't need them??
  • GCE - now we've ordered ponchos the weather is bound to be hot and sunny. Eeeeeek! Maybe I'd better order some expensive sun cream to make sure it's not!
  • Morning all

Well i was going to do my run on the treadmill yesterday but in the end decided i could get it done quicker if i went out for a run as i don’t tend to walk when I’m outside running on my own unlike the treadmill were i have a tendency to do a run walk and it was a nice day

we still have a load of free ponchos i picked up at the GNR last year may be forced into a early taper as the other supervisor at work is holiday next week then off to help train people in Birmingham the following week and the week before Brighton

This means extra long hour for yours truly so may well have to shorten my runs down next week was an 8 and two 5’s but may well just do two 5 and a 6 which is the same as the week after the last thing i want now is to knackers myself out with work and compound it with extra long runs would rather be slightly under train than dead on my feet come race day

• So managed my 2 miles last night, very slowly ... I feel a slight ache in my right leg this morning where I had the calf problem, but I am hoping that is just because I haven't run for a week. The true test will be 5 miles on Friday, keeping fingers crossed.

• Salisbury Lad - compression socks??? with shorts/long pants, but more importantly did they help at all? Are you foam rolling as well?

B&T - never thought of sun cream - that'll have to go on my list of things not to forget!

Good running from everyone - let's just keep it going for a little bit longer!!!image

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Careful with Suncream, when you sweat it can get in your eyes as sting like mad, I'll brin a cap just in case.

• Having just walked the kids to school with freezing wind in my face, I honestly don't think I'm going to bother with suncream! image

I need to run 20 miles in the next few hours and I have no enthusiasim whatsoever. I'm really tired and laready thinking about where I can cut it short if I need to. Need to give myself a stern talking to here...

• I've struggled like mad with motivation lately because of pure tiredness through work.

But, thankfully it has returned in style. Just hoping it isn't too late.

I think you have to be confident in yourself to run at all most of the time.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

It looks lovely out and I have a rest day image  

Must... be.... disciplined....

• JellyBaby, I have never done the foam roller - how does that work ?

• Looks like weather is going to be rubbish again this weekend - motivation flagging as it's the final 20 miler and it would be nice to have just done ONE long run where it wasn't either raining, snowing, windy, or below zero! The weather has definitely been worse than last year's training weather.

• This time last year it was 22degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!

This evening -1 and snowing!!!!!!!

I know exactly what you mean minniemonster. image
  • This weather is beyond depressing now. My car will never be cleaned.

• A torrential hailstorm will not stop me running my FINAL LR this weekend (perhaps whilst cursing).

We are going to see perfect conditions on the day though...Positive Mental Attitude !

• Salisbury lad - i love my foam roller and use it most days to help reduce soreness etc and relieve tight muscles, it's also great for IT band issues. Have a look on youtube for exercises but it will depend on what the injury is if it's beneficial for you to try one though. It can be used for calves and shins as well. Bit like a massage just much cheaper!

Just another thought (need to go back to work seriously - too much thinking going on here!), is it useful to have an electrolyte drink as well as the Gatorade drinks that are provided on route? I do use High5 tabs but because I hate carrying bottles I was going to dilute one very strongly in a small bottle which I can attach to a belt and then make sure I drink at the drink stations. But, if the electrolyte content is enough in the Gatorade do I need to do this at all? Any thoughts much appreciated!

Looks like it'll be another wet, soggy hill session tonight! image

• Jellybaby

Rule number 1 = Nothing New on the day.

Personally, I dont feel the need to drink anything during a run up to half marathon distance. It is more imporatnt to ensure that you dont Overhydrate during a marathon.

In my opintion, the best place for the bottles/sachets of water is over you head !

Worthy read here;

http://www.runnersworld.com/drinks-hydration/how-much-should-you-drink-during-marathon?page=single

• I'm thinking of carrying a few tabs and then washing them down with some water.

Won't be as nice but saves carrying a bottle.

• Salisbury lad : I'm with you - I did my first proper run last night since the 3rd March after tweaking my calf - I only did a very slow 5k but it felt amazing to be outside  again. Got back and iced for ages and used my roller this morning - feels a little bit tight but no actual pain. Planning to do 6 miles tomorrow as a further test and a sports massage next week.

I'm going to need to take a bigger suitcase to fit everything in based on everyones posts !

Outfit options for Wet / Cold / Wind / Sun including the mandatory poncho which I am running out to buy this week

Vaseline to keep suncream out of eyes or stop lips from chapping in the wind - either could apply...

I cant wait !!!

• just had an email telling me my number and colour so race number 12574 colour red

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    My number is 3585 Pink