10k to HM ?

RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

I've been running about 5 years and typically run between 20 - 30km per week, normally in 10km runs. I've done a few Half Marathons in the past year or two and would like to do another one in a few weeks.

My problem is that I'm just recovering from a hip injury that stopped me running for the past month, and am not sure how fast to come back. I had a pain in the hip for about 10 days and have just taken it easy since then. The symptoms looked like burstitis, but that's only my diagnosis. In this period I've been doing a lot of cycling and swimming so my general fitness hasn't dropped. The hip pain has completely gone for about 2 -3 weeks now.

Any suggestions for getting from 10km to HM and how long I should take ? If possible, I'd like to do a race in about 3 weeks, but don't know if that's too soon.

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'm no expert, and I have not yet done a half marathon but hate posts going unanswered.

I guess it depends how fit  you are feeling at the moment and what length of a run you can easily do at the moment. Also, do you just want to get round the half mara or are you looking for a certain time? 3 weeks sounds a bit short coming from a month lay off though.

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Thanks Mikasa.

In fairness, it's probably not a question anybody can answer and I'm not really sure why I posted it. I just knew that my approach would be to go out one evening and run a HM (my approach to training lacks a little finesse) and I'm probably waiting/ wanting somebody to say to slow down a bit.

My previous HM's have been around the 1 hr 46min time so I'd be disappointed with anything less than this.

I suppose I'll go out and listen to my body a little and see how I get on.