Options

I got my medal thank you!!!

Comments

• Options

I assume everyone will throw rotten tomatoes at the 100s of runners remaining on the course after 6 hours at Sunday's London Marathon?image  I think people get their own sense of achievement for completing any event, albeit even if their best shot is to walk/run...or erm walk.

..I would pull out rather than feel like I could do a race justice with having done less than what I demand of myself, but by no means will I criticise someone who wants to get by....if criterias like Boston were applied to most races then 75%+ of the forumites would not be discussing marathons at all.....until then we just have to accept that open to all-comers is just that.

But I will second that the purpose of these forums is to seek advice and support from people with more experience than our own....

• Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I wouldn't class 'You're screwed' as the best possible advice.

Some people on this forum astound me with the elitism. Some people run a marathon, some people run/walk a marathon, it's still a marathon and someone has still completed it.

What about the lady who did London in 2007 or 2008 who had to push her own oxygen carts in front of her all the way. Would people slag her off too???

• Options

Run/walk is not 'a marathon'..its half walking and half running 26 miles. Different from trying to run it and getting injured and having to walk...You can bet your bottom dollar they'll go out and tell everyone they've run a marathon though.

This isn't about elitism, its about properly classifying what you actually do. This percieved snobbery is just manufactured by people on this board frankly jealous of  faster runners - it always raises its ugly head every few weeks - and has done for years. 

• Options
    Carlo Metcalfe 2 wrote (see)

I assume everyone will throw rotten tomatoes at the 100s of runners remaining on the course after 6 hours at Sunday's London Marathon?image 

They could just set a time limit.. I'm sure I have heard of a type of endurance race where if you take more than 16 hrs 59 mins, You don't get a finish.....

(T shirt I saw the other week.... "oh you have run a marathon.. Cute....140.6 is where it's at" )

• Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    I've asked for advice on here from more experienced runners. And appreciated it, whether or not it has been something I've wanted or found easy to hear. But the vast majority of advice has been constructive. 'You're screwed' is not constructive.it is provocative.

I'm not jealous of faster runners. I'm impressed. They are doing things that I know I can't do. But equally, I'm proud of my acheivements and don't give two hoots if people find my attemtps crap. They mean something to me.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

+1 Kaffeeg - completely agree. If a runner can knock out a sub 3 marathon - they have my complete respect for being able to run that fast!

Bex Hill wrote (see)
    Flat Foo.ted wrote (see)
    Charming, did you run it all the way or did you run-walk it, like cougie suggested you try?

I don't see how offering advice born of years of experience can be deemed as being rude. The OP is the one who threw her toys out of the pram when both cougie and Sussex Runner confirmed her fears that she was not best prepared or trained to run a marathon and should adopt a run / walk approach.

I would not wish to attempt a race of any distance until I knew that I could give it my best shot. If I knew that I had not done the training then that would just reflect badly on me. I'm not about to boast about doing something that I refrained from putting the effort into.

Too many times I have seen posts from individuals who don't want to listen to the hard truth. You can't expect to run a marathon on the back of next to no run training. It's just not going to happen for the most of us. Run / walk or just walk but run No. That's not being rude or discouraging, it's just offering the best possible advice under the circumstances.

Completely agree. For me - the reason why the OP has got so much stick is that her response appears as a big "f*** you" to those people trying to help and offer advice.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Hey Simon, hope you're feeling better after Saturday by the way.  If you hadn't worked it out, I was the Kent runner you overtook early into leg 9 who then followed you round till towards the end.  You OK?

<thread hijack due to lack of PM facilities being switched on!>

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    This is 35 miles, and trust me after 26 no one is still running all the way

Many people (and I don't mean just the top-class runners) run ultra distances such as the Comrades marathon (56 miles) without walking at all. 

It's complete rubbish to say that "after xxxx distance, no one is running all the way" about any race or distance.

• Options
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

"They could just set a time limit.. I'm sure I have heard of a type of endurance race where if you take more than 16 hrs 59 mins, You don't get a finish.....

(T shirt I saw the other week.... "oh you have run a marathon.. Cute....140.6 is where it's at" )"

Crikey, that's a 7:15 min mile pace - bit harsh after the first 100, no? image
  • Options
    Errr  Try reading what I wrote
  • Options
    I also think the Opening poster was having a go at all who gave advice.....cougie suggested she runs/walks it and that was she did to get to the finish....a thank you was more in order.....

i hope she has got through the experience without any pain or injuries.....hopefully next time she will train better and take it more seriously to get a time that would reflect her ability......

its a bit like coming on here and saying i haven't bothered revising and my A level is next week.....what should i do.........and then coming on and boasting that you got an E grade......if an E grade is achieved after lots of revision and thats your best attempt then well done......but if you are capable of a higher grade but didn't be arsed to do any work then why expect praise.....

so whilst i respect all those who have done their best effort at training and on the day irrespective of time......i do not congratulate those who just get by on minimum effort........
  • Options

They could just set a time limit.. (machine guns at the entrance to the Mall, 6hrs and they open fire) 

I'm sure I have heard of a type of endurance race where if you take more than 16 hrs 59 mins, You don't get a finish.....

(T shirt I saw the other week.... "oh you have run a marathon.. Cute....140.6 is where it's at" )

• Options

So you mean that your 140.6 distance and 16:59 time didn’t refer to a running race? (I was trying to lighten up the thread as it is a bit of a bun fight).

For the record, I do actually know the 140.6 is a race where you lie down to start with sit down in the middle and walk at the end, having done the “easy” 70.3 version myself.

• Options

I'm sure I have heard of a type of endurance race where if you take more than 16 hrs 59 mins, You don't get a finish.....

Yeah clearly not a marathon, as you can walk that on minimal training

Yeah 70.3, hardly worth getting out of bed for image

• Options
    The best advice for someone who has wants to run a marathon having only done an 11 mile run isn't going to be very positive. I feel sorry for the poor buggers who have to hang around at water stations and at the finish etc waiting for the walkers to arrive. I suppose 6.5 hour marathoners are to be expected at the VLM but as I have said before, the Brighton Marathon organisers state, "This is not a walking race"
  • Options
    Seren nos pretty much nailed the whole point of this. Yes you did it but whether it is something to be really proud of it's another matter.
  • Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Gosh. 

I think I'll get my coat.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaffeeg wrote (see)

Gosh. 

I think I'll get my coat.

You've reminded me of my favourite chat up line: Grab your coat - you've pulled image
  • Options
    Nykie wrote (see)

I wouldn't class 'You're screwed' as the best possible advice.

Some people on this forum astound me with the elitism. Some people run a marathon, some people run/walk a marathon, it's still a marathon and someone has still completed it.

What about the lady who did London in 2007 or 2008 who had to push her own oxygen carts in front of her all the way. Would people slag her off too???

well said. I am run/walking it on Sunday and proud to be. I have COPD so it will be a massive ahievement. You do a mara -you do a maraimage 
  • Options
    Sussex Runner - how many times have you marshaled a marathon - if marshaled at all?  I've done it a couple of times - once was  the Moon Walk so I expected to be hanging around for 8 or more hours.  Waiting for the slowbees is part of the package and they are usually so grateful it makes it all worth while.  Stop shedding your crocodile tears and pretending a concern I doubt you really feel.
  • Options
    This is a truly boring thread.I doubt Haile Gabre Selassie would be following any of you over the finish line, but he'd probably think you had every right to be running the race no matter how long you took.Anyone can enter and it's up to them how they do it.

Some of you need to get out more!
  • Options
    Cheeky cow Sally.

You asked for advice.

I gave you sensible advice - based on my 17 or so Marathons - I wasn't dissing you at all - I just wanted to help you out. You don't even know my times. I may be slower than you.

And you seem to have taken my advice - so how can you come On here and slag me off ?

You know that Think before you slam someone thing ? Well did you ?

• Options
    Cougie you gave sensible advice and then you ruined it with your "lol" comment on the "you're screwed" post, so it's a bit disingenuous that you're now trying to scramble up the moral high ground. Had you left it at your initial post there wouldn't have been an issue.

This whole thread shows what's wrong with our sport. Half the population in this country has a BMi of over 30 and yet some of you are belittling and humiliating someone who's got outside and covered 26 miles under their own steam because their time doesn't meet your perceptions of having achieved something.

Well done Sally. Most people would have given up and stayed on the sofa feeling sorry for themselves. It takes resilience and mental strength to get out and cover the distance notwithstanding events beyond your control stopped you training. Hold your head up high.
  • Options
    yes -well done Sally!!
  • Options
    Sebastian80, you have hit the nail on the head with;

"This whole thread shows what's wrong with our sport. Half the population in this country has a BMi of over 30 and yet some of you are belittling and humiliating someone who's got outside and covered 26 miles under their own steam because their time doesn't meet your perceptions of having achieved something."

I lurk on these forums, I don't feel that generally I want to contribute or ask questions as I don't want to stick my head above the parapet and get shot down for my "meagre attempts" at running/jogging/walking. I also did Brighton, at a similar time to the OP and I am still proud of what I did - as this time last year I had not run for over 30 years (since at school) and hopefully this is only the start of my road to better times.

Yes the OP was totally asking for trouble with the post at the start of this thread, however it was a knee jerk reaction to the advice measured out previously. The adage stands that don't ask for advice if you're not willing to hear the answer - however there are ways of answers being constructive rather than mocking.

...anyhow I'll slink away again, I won't post questions, I'll go back to lurking as I feel that that is the safest way for the novices here.
  • Options
    It is even more boring now that Oliver Crouch has posted!

I do wish Bear B Hind if you wish to reply my posts then at least take time to read them. As I said in the VLM you might expect to be on a marshall station for many hours. Walking is excepted. In the Brighton Marathon it states THIS IS NOT A WALKING RACE.

The Women in question was derided by most I suspect because of her attitude in the OP rather than because of her time. If she had posted it in a more gracious way I'm sure Cougie and myself would have congratulated her. But she didn't did she?
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    This is 35 miles, and trust me after 26 no one is still running all the way

You shouldn't lie on the internet... The internet is for the truth only.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Everyone has their own personal challenges and targets.  Some is to run a 2.30 marathon others to just get round that distance before it gets dark.  To each person they are the same achievement. Ignore the fact the brighton marathon rules state its not a walking race....you are not the race director so why to do you care so much. Congrats to the OP for finishing, next time try to take on a bit more training and run a bit more and smash your time...then repeat etc etc. 

I raced a 10k a fortnight ago it was 2 laps, and after i finished i went back to the car, got changed and did a cool down lap in which i lapped again a few ladies at the back doing a race/walk tactic.  They were getting loud cheers and encouragement as any of us in the top 10.  The sweeper was very encouraging , as were all the marshalls.  As i lapped these ladies twice in a 2 lap race ?!? i didnt pour scourn or belittle them, i offered praise and they appreciated....just because they are not as fast or fit as me doesnt mean i get to look down on their achievement.  Trust me she looked more knackered than i did!  It was a bigger achievement for her to do her time than it was for me.

• Options
    "Half the population in this country has a BMi of over 30"

and I assume your point there is that people with BMI's over 30 aren't runners and are just fat couch potatoes heading towards a slow coronary death??

errm - I suggest you amend your conceptions then - there are many of us with BMIs over 30 due to a previous sporting heritage such as rugby, rowing, contact sports of many types who run marathons - myself included with a BMI that's been hovering around 33 for the last 10 years despite 21 marathons (PB sub 4), 5 Ironman finishes and countless other races under my admittedly ample belt. I was a rugby player. we are big by nature. but that doesn't stop us doing marathons etc.

anyway - I'll let the arguments as to whether a 6:30 marathon is an achievement or not continue now I've made that point
  • Options

I think people are talking cross-purposes here.

I don't think anyone wants to take anything away from the OPs eventual achievement of completeing her mara, regardless of time.

I think the issue was her tone and attitude in her opening post, having previously asked for advice regarding how well prepared she is, having run no further than 11 miles.

Was it outrageous for Cougie to put a "LOL" and pointing out that she's a bit scuppered with that level of training?  I think not.

Ultimately it was him who made the helpful suggestion of her adopting a run-walk strategy on a 'just get round' basis, which appears to be exactly what she did in the end.

So if anything, maybe a thank you and apology is in order, rather than sticking up two fingers at the person who tried to assist by responding to your initial thread.