I got my medal thank you!!!

Comments

• grendel....this thread was never about walking though....
  • I just hate premeditated run/walk strategies - this is a world away from having to walk from blowing up / getting injured.

Surely most realise that?

• Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

premeditated run/walk strategies

Isn't that a way of not having to do as much training ?

(image)

• to blow up in a race could also means that you haven't trained properely though.....

simon....the race is to get from point a to point b in the fastest time on your feet.....doesn't matter how you get there.....don't see the difference in a premeditated walk break.or a walk break because you cocked up your strategy and got knackered or injured....

i just think if you are upset that someone walks and beats you .....you need to train or race smarter
  • and in an 100 mile hilly race there are very very few that would not have some kind of race strategy to walk at sometime........image
  • kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Simon - if you hate premediated run/walk stratagies - don't do one. 

Doing my premediated run/walk stratagey will stop me from blowing up hopefully.  Not that I know what blowing up means.  Think doing a sensible run/walk sounds better than blowing up. Blowing up doesn't sound like something a fantastically trained super duper runner does.

But, I did say I'll get my coat.

• I respect Simon's opinion on the run/walk. But I disagree with My honourable friend Ms Nos about blowing up means you have not trained properly. Having a conservative target is smart but sometimes you have to push close to your limit especially if you are reaching for a GFA goal or a sub 3 for example.
  • Plenty of fanatastically trained super duper runners have blown up. World record holders no less. You don't break records without pushing close to breaking point.
  • kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

I found my coat.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaffeeg wrote (see)

I found my coat.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

I AM putting on my coat.

Sussex Runner - And I won't be pushing close to breaking point with my run/walk?  I'm not sure I know what your post means.  Or what you mean full stop.  I thought you were offering your advice (which I think you must know it is fair to say 'you're screwed' could be taken offensively, whether or not you meant it).  And then offended becuase you had a raseberry blown at you (can't believe I'm typing those words).  And that you would not belittle someone's attempts, whatever they are.  Now that you agree with Simon who 'hates premeditated run/walk strategies'.

Not really sure why I'm bothering. 

Anyway, good luck to you all.  Coat on. Brolly up. CRAP RUNNER tattooed on forehead.

• I am not a Ms thank you NLR....certainly not before the word Nos as that implies many things about my character :0

and if you blow up.you got it wrong......no prizes in a race for getting it wrong......and there is no disqualifications for walking....so its first past the post is the best......image
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I think SR's point is that if it's a running race (as opposed to a walking race, of which there are plenty), then he considers that people should be attempting to run the thing, and I agree with him.

I consider myself a crap runner (at best), but I always set out to run the whole of any race I do.  I train to meet that objective.

Sometimes (though not for a while, as my training has improved), I have had to walk parts of races, but I've always set out with the intention of running the whole thing.

Otherwise it seems to me like dumbing down racing.  Maybe that's the way racing is going.  After all in what other sport do you get a medal just for taking part?

• Crap Runner?? I thought you were a rambler or something. Glad you have got your Kagoul on now Kaffeeg.

Blowing up is getting it wrong. And usually it means missing the prize. Bit at least you had a shot at the prize. Only time I blew up meant me missing my target by ten minutes. I think I still managed to scrape in passed the walkers, run/walkers etc.

"You only know what is enough when you know what is more than enough" (William Blake)
  • Shit my crap runner jibe wasn't meant at Wilkie who posted at the same time. Sowwy
  • I was wondering. Now that we have Godwin's Law, could we now have Haile's Law where someone eventually posts that no one is capable of offering an opinion because they can't beat the great man.

Although, when he blew up in London some people may claim they did!!
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

No offence taken, SR

I didn't assume you meant me image  Or should I say I assumed you didn't mean me?  Whichever!

• There's a world of difference between blowing up and setting out to walk part of a race.

I've never done a marathon, because I haven't got the time to train for one properly (IMHO). For the same reason I haven't ever run a half. I would never consider standing on the start line of a race if I didn't think I could run the whole thing, and have withdrawn from races due to illness or lack of training.

Last Sunday I walked for a few seconds after I "blew up". I was chasing a pb and hit a long, gentle hill which hit me mentally. I managed to regain composure and carry on, and will learn from the experience.

I took Sussex Runner's "You're screwed" to be a jokey way of saying "you're not going to be able to run round, so yes you need to consider alternative strategies". I didn't take it the way the OP did, but as has already been established, we have completely different running philosophies.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I was wondering. Now that we have Godwin's Law, could we now have Haile's Law where someone eventually posts that no one is capable of offering an opinion because they can't beat the great man. Although, when he blew up in London some people may claim they did!!

I beat Haile in Berlin last year when he pulled out about 40 minutes up the road from me! RESULT for TRICKY!! image To be fair though, I was gaining ground quickly..... image

I'll let someone else have a go at fulfilling that other law image  usually it needs to be someone myopic with little understanding of history, context or other such aids to perspective.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Wow.

Sussex Runner - are you trying to be offensive?  Becuase you are.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Maybe I would come across better with Bubbles as my avatar. Where would I draw the line?.........that a whole new thread. Or a old one. I'm sure it has been covered. I'm not reopening that old can of worms.

Thing is, you sort of did draw the line already. Somewhere south of 6 and a half as I recall.

• I presume, my dear boy, that from your previous posts, you wished to have some banter with me. You were doing okay until you started bleating about being offended.
  • omg, this thread is one of the reasons I rarely post on this forum anymore.

People have their reasons for using a walk/run strategy to get round a marathon, and if they complete the distance they HAVE completed a marathon. seriously guys, get your heads out of your arses, if elite athletes can praise the back markers for the fact that they are physically on their feet for 6 hours + then it says it all.

so much snobbery and misplaced elitism on here.
  • errrrrr.....did you read what everyone wrote?
  • Which elite atletes praised people who walk the marathon? Could you give us some examples? If it says it all then who said it and what did they say?
  • kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

I'm assuming the 'my dear boy' comment is to me?  Didn't realise that I was a male rambler.

I love the ability for self reflection.

Anyho, not sure what I'm more annoyed about. The nature of the posts or my engagement with this thread.

I'll bleat elsewhere. 

• So when are you and the thread to be wed?