I got my medal thank you!!!

Comments

• 'you're screwed' - 'big fat raspeberry in return', seems a fair trade off to me - and a bit perverse to start complaining about delicate sensibilities and demanding an apology.

I agree!

• there'll be bluebirds over....,, wrote (see)
    Congratulations Sally on completing the marathon, your personal achievement is as good as anyone else's, take no notice of Cougie & Co, there's always an element who have their head up their own arse.I also ran Brighton last week (3:59) & watched VLM yesterday & without the variety of types of runners from fast/slow to young/old this race would be nothing. Leave the snobbery to the Tennis & Golf Clubs, road running is better than that.
    ......so her accomplishment is as worthy of merit as that of someone who dedicates several years of their life busting their backside training thousands of miles in order to do a 2:40 marathon? Yeah, how intuitive.
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    I rarely post nowadays - but I come back to the forums to see Cougie (I don't know sussex runner) being called elitist?? and intimidating to beginners?? What are these forums coming to!
  • mg83 wrote (see)

'you're screwed' - 'big fat raspeberry in return', seems a fair trade off to me .

you're probably right - had it stayed in the original thread.

• mg83 wrote (see)

Personally I think all beginners should be encouraged, everyone has to start somewhere. Sports die when they dont encourage the grass roots.

Beginners should be encouraged, and everyone does have to start somewhere. But with a marathon? Why not encourage begineers to build up through distances over time and enjoy the journey, rather than desperately try to get fit for a marathon in a tiny amount of time and get injured?

dhale750 wrote (see)
    there'll be bluebirds over....,, wrote (see)
    Congratulations Sally on completing the marathon, your personal achievement is as good as anyone else's, take no notice of Cougie & Co, there's always an element who have their head up their own arse.I also ran Brighton last week (3:59) & watched VLM yesterday & without the variety of types of runners from fast/slow to young/old this race would be nothing. Leave the snobbery to the Tennis & Golf Clubs, road running is better than that.
    ......so her accomplishment is as worthy of merit as that of someone who dedicates several years of their life busting their backside training thousands of miles in order to do a 2:40 marathon? Yeah, how intuitive.

+1 on this one.

• Annajo - things have changed ! I'm such an elitist now !

Sussex damn you for making me laugh and turning me into the most hated figure on the forum.

Bluebirds - did you even read the post before slagging me off ?

Dave - legs fell off a bit at 20 miles -more training needed for next time !
    I didn't run-walk though as I doubt I'd have got running once I stopped.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    cougie - Good effort mate.  Did you make it to the Chandos afterwards or were you scared you might be pied to death by a baying mob?
  • cougie wrote (see)
    Sussex damn you for making me laugh and turning me into the most hated figure on the forum

haha image

given the help and advise you've given countless people over the years means you're one of the more respected members of the community

• Lol ! Yes I did make it to the pub and everyone was lovely.
    I suspect if they had pies they may have tucked into them before I got there ?
  • The death of that runner yesterday did make me think of this thread. Of course we don't know the details yet but it makes you realise that encouraging people to go out and do things they aren't prepared for can be very dangerous.
  • dhale750, why should'nt a slower runner deserve as much merit as a 2:40 marathon runner? If that person raised a shitfull of cash for a good cause then i'd go as far as to say they deserve even more merit.Never realised that snobbery was so common in road running, so one person can run faster or have the time to train harder than than the other, big deal, our circumstances are all different & some can't get the time to live for training.I'm a self employed builder & work has got to take a priority over running & also the recovery is a lot harder than someone with a sedate job who can recover in working hours.I thought Brasher's vision was we could all be as one whatever our abilty, not "i'm faster & train harder so i'm obviously better than you "bollocks.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
  • So Nell Mc Andrew's effort is just the same as the bloke from Anyway but Essex(or whatever it's called) Ed Balls who probably took 7 hours is just as good as Nell who took years to get there, changed her body shape and was in tears of joy as she crossed the line. But hey Ed's busy so just the same eh?
    dhale750, why should'nt a slower runner deserve as much merit as a 2:40 marathon runner? If that person raised a shitfull of cash for a good cause then i'd go as far as to say they deserve even more merit.Never realised that snobbery was so common in road running, so one person can run faster or have the time to train harder than than the other, big deal, our circumstances are all different & some can't get the time to live for training.I'm a self employed builder & work has got to take a priority over running & also the recovery is a lot harder than someone with a sedate job who can recover in working hours.I thought Brasher's vision was we could all be as one whatever our abilty, not "i'm faster & train harder so i'm obviously better than you "bollocks.

What if you are really busy and can't do any training and so don't run the marathon at all? Are you still just as a good a marathon runner as a 2:40 marathon runner then?

• Someone who doesn't run at all is the same as someone who breaks the world record. To say otherwise is snobbery
  • I'm not talking about world records or walking all the way but just stating that there's a lot of us who have got to juggle our lifestyle with running , whether it's family life or work a lot of us are limited to what we can put in.I'm personally to tired to run for any distance if i've just come in from concreting all day & therefore i have to run a marathon on limited mileage, none of us should judge anyone else as our circumstances are all different & that to me is the beauty of road running that it's accessible (at least i've always thought) to all of us.By the way i've run 18 marathons with times ranging from 3:16 to 3:59 & all have been personal achievements to me just as the one's i watched come in at 7 hours yesterday, the feeling is just the same.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I'm a world class pianist, only I can't afford a piano and don't have time to practice.

If you want to be good at something, really good then you have to make sacrifices. It doesn't matter what it is but if you commit yourself to excel in one particular field then you are better (at it) than someone who doesn't want to be that good - or want to commit the time and energy to being that good.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Someone who doesn't run at all is the same as someone who breaks the world record. To say otherwise is snobbery

Very true, we are all equal. I am still allowed to respect someone who has put in the effort and training to do well and achieve over someone who wasn't so inclined.

It's not snobbery. It.s not saying 'I'm better than you'. Surely we are allowed to reward effort and dedication in whatever field.

I'm as good a builder as you bluebirds, only I don't have the training or the time to work at it. I'm still just as good as you are at building. So what if it takes me longer - I'll charge by the hr so who cares.  

• He should stick to building and leave the philosophy alone. But of course in his world he is the same as Aristotle who merely spent more time on the toilet thinking about stuff.
  • Sussex Runner, come & spend a day loading a skip then go for a run & you'll know what i mean. We can't all be stick insects sat on our arse all day then burn off calories in the evenings.
  • I think everyone has to juggle their running with their lives Mr Bluebirds ?

And have you read the original thread before you slagged me off ?
    The OP was running Brighton marathon with a longest run of 11 miles. I told her to use a run walk strategy. I'd not want to do a marathon with that poor training - and her 6.22 time backs it up ? Explain to me why I have my head up my arse please ?

• There's too many on here judging others, if she ran a marathon on a longest run of 11 miles then good on her, she's got my respect.No one knows her circumstances & i think she did well, why so many giving digs at the woman?

• I took an old TV stand to the recycling centre last week so don't tell me about loading skips mate!!
  • So you admit you didn't read the original thread mr bluebird - but thought sod it - I know enough to slag cougie off ??

• Yep.. It's easy if all you do is sit down at a desk all day.....

Left home this morning at 5:30, drove 200 miles, spent the rest of the day at a desk.. and now I need to get out and run.. If you want to do something you will find a way

What do you mean Cougie.. Not enough training ?  You been cheating again and training ?

• I used to drive home 5000 miles, fill 10 skips, get home and my dad would beat me to death but I still managed to train(cheat)

There's too many on here judging others, if she ran a marathon on a longest run of 11 miles then good on her, she's got my respect.No one knows her circumstances & i think she did well, why so many giving digs at the woman?

I would say because she started a thread asking for advice because she was due to run a mara when she knew that she was underprepared.

She was given sensible, accurate and appropriate advice by experienced runners - namely that she would not be able to run it, so do run / walk.

Which she did.  And which appears to have got her around the course.

Then her response on her original thread is rude.  And just in case we hadn't got the message, she starts this thread too.

So "digs" are at her lack of manners.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I used to drive home 5000 miles, fill 10 skips, get home and my dad would beat me to death but I still managed to train(cheat)
    and lick road clean wi' tongue.
  • TownerTowner ✭✭✭
    i used to dream of being beaten to death.....luxury!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Being a faster runner than someone else does not mean they are better than the other runner, it just means they are a faster runner. Its not the same as being a better person. Its context. The ones who raise more money are better at raising money than those who don't. As for builders having to lug weights all day, one of the fastest runners ever was a guy called John Downes who ran 100 miles a week around labouring and building all day. 49 mins for 10 miles at 38 years of age, 13 mins something for 5000m.

🙂