Options

Fatman to Ironman

Comments

• Options
    Fair few people, myself included, nursing injuries. My Physio rather cheerfully suggests that injury is a long distance triathletes 5th discipline.

Struggling with the swim at the moment. Seem to have lost some form and am finding my hips dragging somewhat. I think it's the breathing that's at fault with my sticking my head to far up in the air.

Time to head back to the SwimSmooth book.
  • Options
    10k race today - finished 5th 42:40 it was very very muddy but quite pleased with that, then out on the bike for 43 miles. Quite knackered now image
  • Options

Donkey ... you should only be lifting one eye out of the water and be paralell with the side of the pool when you breathe, if you lift too far then that will interrupt your stroke

I have been out on the old bike, hill reps for my sins, the afternoon was disappearing fast so I didnt have long, I have a longish loop of about 20 mins with an 8 min climb so I did that 3 times and will gradually increase

• Options
    Thanks M...eldy. Rubbish swim tonight. Started to get quite anxious when exhaling (when face in water). Most odd. Hasn't happened before. Perhaps just one of those days.
  • Options

Maybe, draw a line under it and look forwards ... anxiety may be linked with taking in too much air that you cant expel it and therefore you raise your head higher in order to give you longer to expel

That made sense in my head  image

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

That made sense in my head  image

Keep taking the pills!

Actually ID, she speaks sense...dammit!

Nice run TB. All this mud is causing trouble with trying to hit good times. Great placing too!

• Options

Well done TB.

Thanks Nurse.

• Options
    Thanks guys, did some digging at the lotty today Nursey, is that ok?

Well done TB, nice result.

ID, try a bit of pool walking with your face in water & practise the breathing technique. Get it nice and relaxed that way then off you go again. Nice and steady.

Weekly blog update, not much to write home about this week again though

http://clearseaz-timetogetfit.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0
  • Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭
    Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

Ooh, not good SD.  

/members/images/497331/Gallery/nurse_voice_posters.jpg

You need to REST.  That means NO exercise/training until you are BETTER.

And if you don't do what you're told I will sneak into your house, put laxatives in your tea, break your legs and keep your bedpan in the freezer.

nothing like an NHS careplan image

• Options

Thanks for the tips people.  Will give them a go tomorrow.

• Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

All my swims recently have been broken up into sets with lots of rest gaps, i was beginning to wonder if i could still manage a continous swim, so this morning i decided to go for it. managed 2800m and after a while as i got into a rythm it felt much better. every 10 laps (500m) was taking approx 11 minutes which helped me keep count and finished feeling strong so now feeling much better about my swimming image.

talking about taking in too much air that  you can't expel, I do seem to be swallowing a lot of air judging by the after effects of each swim.

• Options

Hello all

I have just taken a spin through some of this thread and it is great to see all the support and encouragement you give each other.  Hopefully I can get in on some of it image

I have signed up for my first Ironman this year - Austria.  I have been following the Don Fink Intermediate plan and I have a few questions that it would be great to bounce off some of you...

1. what are your thoughts on swapping the weekend run and bike session?  The Fink plan says bike Sat and run Sunday which I aim to do for the most part but sometimes I find it easier to get out on a group ride on a Sunday.

2. generally do you think the plan is a good one and will get me round?  Mr Fink certainly seems to know what he is talking about but I am constantly worrying about being fit enough on the day and it would be good to hear other's thoughts on this.

3. I have a Giant Avail bike (alu frame and carbon forks).  Is it worth upgrading to a full carbon frame?  I am looking at the Cannondale Women's Carbon Synapse.

Thank you!

• Options

1. Occasionally fine but the logic of running on tired legs is good prep for race day

2. Yes. Especially if you follow it all the way to the end...

3. Depends on your time goal. You will be able to get round on what you have. I'm not a bike expert and I am doing IMA2013 on a (carbon) road bike. If I had the funds I would get something more aero not necessarily lighter. Aero wheels; aero bars; aero helmet...

• Options

Hi DT,

From what I have heard (and I've also seen the local scenery) Austria is fast, but not by any means flat. I followed the intermediate plan last year for Outlaw (though with only 2 swims a week) and managed a sub 13hr on my first outing. Others have gone even faster on their debut.

There is always a discussion on the long bike/long run schedule. For me it was about learning to do the run distance on tires legs. Consider a run/walk strategy if needed. Fink knows his stuff.

Get some hills under your belt.A carbon bike won't get you up the hills noticeably quicker, even if it is 2kg lighter...

• Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

Hello TT, What date is Ironman Austria? how far through the plan are you?

I usually swap my long bike and run around for the same reason, i much prefer getting in the long ride with a group, I know the same question was asked a few weeks back either on this thread or the Fink for outlaw one and the general consensus was it dosnt matter too much as long as you get both sessions in.

The fink plan has plenty of recomendations so should get you round, the only critiscsm's ive heard of the plan is some say there isnt enough cycling and some think that 30 weeks is too long. I'm happy with the 30 weeks as long as I dont burn out before the end and plan on doing extra cycling to the plan anyway.

• Options

Hi DT

IronCat is right, Austria is by no means flat and the swim in the canal at the end isn't easy but great atmosphere and place!

Re: long run/bike schedule - if you do swap it around could you run after the bike on the Sunday to get used to tired legs even if it's only 20-30 minutes?

Can't really advise you on the bike tech stuff as I'm hopeless!! image

• Options

Sweetfeet, IC5ITH, Honk and SS - thanks for the quick responses and advice.  This is all really useful.

IC5ITH: great time for the Outlaw.  You must have been very pleased with that! 

Austria is 30 June and I have just started week 6 of the 30 week programme.  It is going fine so far but I suspect that when I hit week 11 onwards it will get a lot tougher to manage...

SS - any tips for the canal at the end?

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

• Options

DT - if it's been hot and dry like last year then stay away from the edge as you'll be covered in reeds and all sorts of stuff!! However, the middle section is congested also so get your point and stick to it, the plus point is that it's only 800m.

Good luck

• Options
    Welcome DT

I'm doing the Fink competitive plan, lol,lol,lol. Competing against finishing it in 17 hours. My first ironman this year in Bolton

Ive swapped the fink days all over the place to tie in with the family life. Although ive made sure i dont have two long runs or bike sessions on consequetive days.

Good swimming honk

Despite nurseys advice i'm going for a cheeky swim tonight. Nothing too energetic though
  • Options
    The canal at the end is not too bad, keep to the middle as much you can, be ready for the crowd noise

The swim is stunning by the way, I spent far too much time looking at the scenery!!!

It's like swimming in evian over sand

Long bike and run are in that order for the reasons Cat stated, by all means jiggle around but keep to the structure of the plan where you can
  • Options
    Training begins. 1 hour, 82 lengths. Thought i was going into cardiac arrest after 200 metres but gradually got it all back under control again.
  • Options

Nice swimming Sossige!

22 mins run for me ... with a 18 minute warm up either side, seems to be going in a forwards direction which is good   image

8hrs of work left  image

• Options

Thanks for the tips M...eldy and SD.

I have a 1 hour run and a swim to do today.  I will do the run in my lunch break which is fine and gets it out the way but as always, I am dreading the swim.  So boring!

Hope everyone has a good training day.

• Options

Half hour run this morning, intro session with NEWTS tonight!

• Options

Good stuff Tim & DT. Still full of cold here, had it a bloody week now.

30 min bike/15 min run for me this evening

My finkesq plan was going to involve one pre work, early morning session. One of the midweek runs. However, i have negotiated an early leave from work every Wednesday untill August so i can do that run in the afternoon, happy days.

• Options
    SausageDog wrote (see)

Still full of cold here, had it a bloody week now.

I'm saying nothing..................................

Hi and welcome DT.

Managed to squeeze a wee 1km swim into my pampering yesterday.  Unfortunately won't be able to train today, tomorrow & Thursday, but should be able to bike and run this weekend.

• Options

Enjoy DTT - one thing - they drop the floor of the pool at the NISV so there is no shallow end. The entire pool is about 2.5m deep!

• Options

Sorry for disobeying you Nursey image

Drank a Beechams then just did my first brick session in a while. Felt ok, got a bit of cramp in the calf though but was able to run it off 

• Options

GREAT time at NEWT this evening, pleased at my swim trial (9:59 for 400m ... more work to do), and excited to be joining the club.