Fatman to Ironman

Comments

• Well done IY.

Top work at the weekend too, AliBear!

• Entered the Outlaw Half this morning. Loved it this year, looking forward to a much better finish time next year!

• 2k swim in 49 :55 thiminor n, 5 mins faster than last time despite fighting the Lancaster saga version of the Thames barrier! 

• Good Jaaaawb IY image

Great swimming Gaz.

• Took myself to my local pool this morning – 1st time at the 6.30am early birds slot which is £2 less expensive than later in the day.  It’s also a little bit, and I mean a plenty bit, more serious by way of the atmosphere from those in attendance.  I was tempted to put in a few lengths of breast stroke, half hour or so into the session, just for the giggles. 

In any case, I  did my best and completed the full length distance in a little over 75 mins.  This time last year I struggled to do 50m so naturally I’m right dead happy.

Might have a pint this evening to celebrate image

• Thanks IS & Gaz

The swimming really has developed nicely in the past few months.  

• Found some chaps blog - I think its Andy from Trianglia - and it pointed me over here.Looks v much like this could become my spiritual home! I came second to last at the Vitruvian this weekend on the basis that I am four stone heavier than I should be and had done considerably less training than is required for a HIM distance tri. But, as my mate pointed out when I crossed the finishing line, all the t-shirts are the same colour and they all say finisher on them! I also needed to complete it as I had signed up for Bolton without the wife knowing - I was under strict instructions that failure to complete the Vit would mean the end of my triathlon career..... which could only mean one thing - weekends of DIY.

I am not that bad at swimming and riding a bike - when I put my mind to it. Its the run that lets me down (although at the weekend I didnt perform well in any of the four disciplines - am including transition in that list!) However, I know why that is and am going to do something about it - its called training............

Anyhow, nice to meet you all. If any of you were at the Vit I was the fat ginger bloke in a Breaston Massive Tri Suit eating real food - ham and cheese sandwiches - on the bike and run.

• Welcome Borka. 

You have taken the first step and done a tri which is one of the biggest hurdles so well done. Dosent matter where you finished, you took part, you finished image

Hello everyone else, not been about as had some time off following Bolton. Plus off to India in the morning for 9 weeks so have been a bit busy getting the house and personal stuff in order.

Will start training again next week as the hotel has a pool, i'm going to try hook up with Pune running club, hotel also has a gym to use. 

My journey is going to be in Triathlon plus magazine at some point it was confirmed today. Will have to wait till i get back home though as they are sending a photographer round, unless they send them to India. 

Not sure when i'll get to update again, hopefully Saturday when i'm settled in.

• Borka well done for finishing the Vit, it is quite a tough bike course! I was racing, but to  be honest the only people I took any notice of, was other Pirates and the peeps in GB kit!

and welcome to The ship!

• I knew about the ripple - not a problem. What noone told me about was the hill over the top about 8 miles from the end of the loop............ that drained me on te first loop cause I didnt know it existed. There is a second kick to it which is what got me. Anyhow, great event and will absolutely do it again......

• Manchester hundred on Sunday 6hrs 24

swim drills this morning, lots of sprints. 

Got an invite to break open water cherry this aft and did, first wetsuit swim and fish and alsorts. Got to say it messed with my head a bit and took a bit of sorting. Loved it though and it was great for the mrs and baby to watch so will be back later in the week image 

• how curious. cant update my thread as im not logged in....

anyhow, been getting lots of swimming in. ( enforced gym membership includes free pool anytime - so 4 mornings a week, im getting wet.... ) not done any running ( knee niggle ) or any bike ( foolish slob ).

added a tempo trainer to this morning : improved the consistency no end....not so sure stroke rate makes a difference - garmin says no realy change when im sure I was running 60spm rather than my usual 44. also says I wasnt running 60 - so a little off.  but setting the lap beeper was useful to a degree.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373479403

that degree is how irritating the beeps are when your off pace - you either sprint to make up and then blow up and slow down or just crack on and the beep moves further from the wall....

anyone have experience with the tempo trainer ( other than it breaking etc )

hows your week peeps ?

• Morning all

I am in need of some advice/inspiration/motivation.  I feel that my running has gone completely off the boil since Outlaw, and I'm struggling to get my mojo back.
    I've never been a fast runner and I'm fine with that (quickest 10k was 55:46), I'm not looking to get super strong and ultra speedy.  I just like to put my shoes on and go for a run, but at the moment there's no enjoyment in it as every step feels like a slog. 
    My times haven't really altered since before Outlaw, having been a 10-min-miler for some time now (if only I could have run Outlaw at 10m/m!), so a lot of this is probably in my head. 
    In an effort to give myself a boot up the arse, I went back to my running club on Tuesday, for the first time in many months.  I was the slowest one there and felt completely demoralised.
    I'm aware that I'm getting into quite a negative mindset about this, so I'm thinking about setting myself a running goal to work towards.  I've said since I started running that I have no desire to ever run a marathon.  However, having made it round the Outlaw run, a wee seed was planted and I'm now thinking I quite fancy a stand-alone marathon.
    Since I have negotiated to do an ironman every other year, I quite fancy this as my biggie for next year. 
    My problem is that I don't really know where to start with regard to training. There will be thousands of training plans out there, but I suspect that a lot of them will contain the same basic information. I'm also aware that different things work for different people. I know it's still a year away, but it will do my head good to start planning now.
    So - I just want to get a feel for which plans worked for you guys if you've done marathons.  And this maybe sounds a bit daft, but should I be thinking about training to a certain level of running fitness before I embark on the training plan proper?

Sorry to waffle on, but I was so pissed off with myself on Tuesday night and I have been needing to offload!  I'm sure I can rely on you lot for a well-aimed size 10 

• Nursey - training for a marathon is fine - as long as it doesn't interfere with your Outlaw training!! image

But basically they seem to fall into 3 categories, those that work on a distance, those that focus on time spent running and those based around heart rate. All do they same thing - more or less - its just deciding which one works best for you.

There's loads available on here (for subscribers - if you're not I can email them to you). Most are 16 weeks.

One thing that worked for me was incorporating some cross-training in every week - so I'd do a 2 hour ride rather than a 50 minute run - just to spice things up!

And yes, you should maintain a certain level of fitness before starting, but maybe do something else - weights, rowing etc etc so you are mentally up for running when you start.

• longest swim ever this morning ! 2575m. holly sh*t. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/374422871

now, its was rather slowimage. nothing like css ( i think ), but it was 2500+ first time ever gone that far.image and it was in about an hour. and i could have done more if I didnt have to show up at work eventually.image stroke rate avg up to 14,image pace down 2:30+image but still 600m further than ive swam in 47+ years.

Nursey - How about trying something different ?  some track, cross country or 5k pace work ? a change of scene and pace might bring that mojo back

• Don't worry your pretty little head Raf. I'll be cutting through that rowing lake like Jaws on speed. 

• Oh, and good swimming Sgt. 

• There's no need to swim too quickly Nursey - don't want to have to rush my fry up now do I? image

• Good point Raf. I'd hate to get out of the water to find you didn't have time to cook my bacon just the way I like it

• * snigger *

Nursey, now we can swap so you can target the marathon if you like.....image

• I love you

but do please piss off image

• Just been out on the bike, stopped at a junction, and managed to unclip left, lean right, tiiiiiiiiiiiiimber imageimage

• Nice falling Nurse, see you didn't manage to do that when you were running so you aren't as bad as you think - and I'm not impying you are cr*p at cycling either. We've all done it.

Got the all clear this week from the physio, and have ran back to back days without a problem. I'm on the little side road that leads to the main road, that in turn that leads to the (I)M6.

• Nice one Holgs! You'll be back before you know it. Any idea of target event you are looking to target? 

Nursey we shave all been there. It seems I can go for months cyclingnon my own and not falling but as soon I try and stop at a junction where there are people around I seem to be attracted to the floor. Always highly embarrassing image

• WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO image, Holgs is back in the saddle. Great news. 

• Does scalding yourself in a post-swim sauna count as a training injury?

Blistered fingers - OUCH