Options

British 10k - being made to wear provided t-shirts

2»

Comments

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Just a slight overreaction there Ally?

"the T-shirt thing is clearly a grossly cynical marketing tool by Nike to turn us into identical drones with faint whiffs of the Nazi propaganda machine and their enforcement of wearing the Star of David,"

Not sure its either cynical or any whif of proaganda here and the link to the Nazis is I hope misplaced humour. Nike pay a lot of money to sponsor a fairly ordinary race, they negotiate the best deal possible to get the maximum publicity for their money. That seems like a sensible use of their resources. If anyone is being cynical its the organisers accepting the cash without thinking through the consequences.

And this race can be as bad as people say it is - truely piss poor organisation in previous years with a rubbish congested start after the mile walk from the baggage. Get there early or be prepared to wait.

• Options
    Well I'm looking forward to next Sunday !!!

I like my Tshirt and l will be wearing it .

I did this once before 2006 , It was my first 10 km ..

many races since then so looking forward to finding it

a bit easier this time !!

Great location , flat , just go with the flow , and enjoy !?!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If you enter a dodgy race like this one, and the rule is wear those crummy t shirts, then that's the rule!

you wouldn't turn up at a santa 5k wearing just shorts and singlet.

Either race it under their rules, or pick one of the other 20,000 in the country, and wear what you want

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ally Watson wrote (see)

The T-shirt thing is clearly a grossly cynical marketing tool by Nike to turn us into identical drones with faint whiffs of the Nazi propaganda machine and their enforcement of wearing the Star of David, although to identify us a being Nikephiles (similarly grouped together but with a percieved connection to Nike rather than the differentiation that the star suggested).  Let us not forget that this is the same overbearing thing that Nike do with Run to the Beat.  There were huge queues at their marque there to get hold of traditional numbers.  I'm fed up with it and with Nike and that'll be the last pair of Lunars I buy. 

Terrific analogy. Moaning about a standard t shirt in some race that you've entered of your own free will, comparing it to the systematic victimisation of the Jews by one of the worst regimes the world's ever known. image

You're either Frankie Boyle in disguise, or you have the worst sense of perspective ever seen  on this forum,

• Options

Ok for the first time I looked at the website for this race. It took me about 20secs to find where it said you had to wear the t-shirt provided. In that little tab marked FAQ's

If this is some crypto-Fascist attempt by Nike its rubbish.

Rule number one in the Big Boys Black Shirt Book of Crypto-Fascist manuovering is"keep it secret dont print a t-shit"

By the way it looks hideous, all those people for a 10k!!??

Well its all for sweet charity i suppose;)

• Options
    sioUxsioUx ✭✭✭

haven't read all the answers to this so may be a repetition.

Fold the tshirts up and pin on fancy dress so the number shows. Srtill wearing the tshirt then

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ally Watson wrote (see)

I'm doing this for Women's Aid and received a pack on Monday from the race organisers containing a black technical T-shirt - yes, mine medium is too small as well - and a rectangular sticky label.  Anyone know what this thing is?  Am I meant to write a number on it and stick it to me?  The outside of the pack states that "a race timing device is included".  Well, it wasn't.  I only got those two items.

The T-shirt thing is clearly a grossly cynical marketing tool by Nike to turn us into identical drones with faint whiffs of the Nazi propaganda machine and their enforcement of wearing the Star of David, although to identify us a being Nikephiles (similarly grouped together but with a percieved connection to Nike rather than the differentiation that the star suggested).  Let us not forget that this is the same overbearing thing that Nike do with Run to the Beat.  There were huge queues at their marque there to get hold of traditional numbers.  I'm fed up with it and with Nike and that'll be the last pair of Lunars I buy. 

I understand that Women's Aid are going to forward me their own vest as well, together with a timing chip (do charities really have to pay more for this?).  I'm not sure if they'll send a new number as well but I truly hope that the race is not as awful as most people describe....  It can't be as bad a rttb...

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

What could you say about that?

🙂

• Options

RicF wrote (see)

What could you say about that?

Something like this?

Well there was a Polish man who lived on my road and he had a huge German Shepard and lived in an ivy covered  house with an over grown garden with lots of chickens and stuff.Alone. Spoke to no one.

He would stand outside his house with this big dog  and walk it around and I was always scared of that dog as a child and would cross the road to avoid it.

I had no idea how a Polish man ended up living on a road in Essex in the 70's/80's.

One day my mum told me he had out of the blue spoken to her. He told her what the Germans had done to his family when they came to his village. He was basically alone in the world. All my childhood I had known him and all that time he was alone. I suppose he told my mum because she was a foreigner too. I think she made more of an attempt to speak to him then. She had in part come to England to escape a colder war, though she still had her family.

It always amazes me when people talk of this or that action meaning we live in a "police state" or that is "Nazi" like. If its on TV and you can wriht to your MP your not in a police state. If you can walk away say "F U" and suffer no consequences its not a police state.

You can always spot the fascists they come in tanks and only tanks.
    They rarely come in t-shirts, and when they do they are driving tanks.

The Polish man is dead now but I just now remembered his name.

It was Alfons.

• Options
    FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

If you enter a dodgy race like this one, and the rule is wear those crummy t shirts, then that's the rule!

you wouldn't turn up at a santa 5k wearing just shorts and singlet.

Either race it under their rules, or pick one of the other 20,000 in the country, and wear what you want

The issue is that when I signed up last year the rule about the T-shirts was not there. Nike issued the "must wear the T-shirt we provide"  thing after they took it over only a little while ago.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now as we've been told that we can wear our charity tops/fancy dress.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Faya - the rule has been there for a while (and especially last year) as the same complaint was raised in last years race. Nike try to enforce it but for charities they're ok with the charity vest- it's the 'normal' runners they want to wear their shirt.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think everyone should wear Adidas tops.  That'll learn 'em.

• Options
    jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

Fold up the t-shirt so only the number shows and pin it on!  Simple.

I could be wrong but I believe you are not required to wear a club vest in a UKA road race unless running as part of a team.

• Options
    Suprise suprise
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Diane if you go back and look at the commenst from 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 ..... you will find "I will never run this race again too many people and a lack of organisation ruined the day for me far too stressful..." repeated over and over again

• Options
    Keith L wrote (see)

Diane if you go back and look at the commenst from 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 ..... you will find "I will never run this race again too many people and a lack of organisation ruined the day for me far too stressful..." repeated over and over again

and yet the event is oversubscribed year after year....

I like the idea of wearing Adidas top in nike sponsored race lol.

• Options
    I'm sure the lol brigade will be turning up again next year.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    A Lama wrote (see)
    Keith L wrote (see)

and yet the event is oversubscribed year after year....

I like the idea of wearing Adidas top in nike sponsored race lol.

Being over subcribed isn't the interesting thing.

The interesting thing would be to see what percentage come back the next year.

A lot of people go in for the hype of events.

• Options
    My first ever 10k was in 1985 or something. Run the World in Leicester. Drinking beer all day, running holding hands with some blondes we picked up in the beer tent. 40 minutes to cross the start line so we could wave to international sports superstart Willie Thorne and jog through the crowds to the end. Nobody took my time, least of all myself. I didn't count it as a personal best or the personal worst that it would be now. I can't say I even considered it a race.

See that race in 1985? Probably more of a race than the British 10k
  • Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Run the world in Leicester? Isn't that an oxymoron?
  • Options
    Who are you calling an Ox-moron? We ran the world all over the world my dear xx