Options

Dublin 2012

I'm thinking of entering Dublin marathon in October - anyone else run it? What is it like?

Wet?

Any views much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    I chose this as my first marathon (at the time there was only going to be one)in 2009 because of time of year / weather, city run for support and guaranteed entry and totally loved it, it felt like a 26 mile party, runners were great, organisation great, crowds were wonderful and I got hooked on the buzz of a marathon- I went back the following year, 2010, and haven't been able to schedule it in again since but I am hoping to do so in 2013
  • Options
    I forgot to say, suitable pb course - I qualified for GFA in London through Dublin - Off to get train shortly for tomorrow's little jog around our capital city
  • Options

Thanks Morff!

Thinkiong of making it a girlie weekend as if falls during half term - was it horrendously wet and cold though?

Good Luck tomorrow - just done and easy 5 and legs stil very tired from last w/e - hope the weather stays dry for you!

• Options
    Hi Emma
    both years I ran the weather was perfect, cold and bright. 2011 was very wet for the later finishers though those that I know that did it in 5+ hours still enjoyed the experience enough to want to go back again.

I work in school so could only do it when it falls in holidays so was perfect for me, I did one with girls ( 2 runners, 2 supporters) and one with family. Both times we booked an apartment in Dublin rather than hotels as this was much cheaper and just as convenient. As the start is so central we were walking distance each time
  • Options
    I did this one in 2009 and again in 2011. It's great - good organisation, right amount of people that you aren't tripping over folks and getting held up.

Last year weather was perfect and then just after I finished (just under 4 hours) the heavens opened and it was torrential. Heavy SORE rain if you know what I mean. I was too sore to run home and just trudged huddled in a little soggy mess back to my hotel.

The location is brilliant too - lots of hotels near start/finish which makes it so easy to get there and back. Brill for any folks coming with you too as they can easily walk to spectating points (my mum came with me both times as DH stayed home with kids) and she found it a good one to watch. Although most tourist attractions and shops closed because of bank holiday. Nice big park nearby to wander through whilst cooling down etc.

All in all this is one of my fav's despite yucky hill at 21 miles. (short and sharp just when you are feeling tired!)
  • Options

Really glad a Dublin 2012 thread is now 'up & running' - sorry the pun!

Hubby, daughter & I did it in 2010 - brilliant!!! image.  First marathon attempt by daughter & I - what a one to start with.  Organization, atmosphere & Irish hospitality absolutely wonderful so we're all set to do it again this year.

The forum posts were really supportive & inspiring, especially when training became tough & monotonous - give it a go EmmaC, you'll love it! image

• Options
    I'm feeling very inspired by you all and really chuffed that I may have started a useful thread!

It looks like my friend and I will travel over on the Saturday and then com back home on the Tuesday- luckily it falls in Sussex half term so we can fit it in!

Hopefully she will confirm it and we can book flights!
  • Options
    This will be my first ever marathon this year and it's good to hear lots of positive comments! I'm so nervous already!
  • Options

Yay - I have booked marathon place, flights and hotel - so am go for Dublin 2012!

However, I don't remember picking a pace band or submitting a previous time - So not sure which start time I wil be in. Does anyone know how I will be allocated? Thinking that as only 10,000 shouldn't be too much of a bun fight at the start?

• Options

Can be a little congested for the first coule of miles even with the staggered start and then spreads out through Phoenix Park - The biggest hill is just after that at Chapelizoid, there is a small hill at 22 Miles passing UCD (University College Dublin) but after that you are back in the City Centre and on the home stretch. There is a high speed video of the course at  http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_course.php

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Did it in 2010 and has been my favourite so far. Nice course, great atmosphere you'll love it!

• Options

I'm thinking of tackling Dublin as my first Marathon, nice to hear all the positive reports!

• Options

Yes - great to hear positive things (had previously had some negative comments).

Race organisers were great about getting back to me super quick - bodes well for the rest of the organisation too!

Good luck all first timers and potential first timers - It will be an amazing experience. Great size event too - not left on your own but not so intimidating as a 40,000 strong field like VLM.

• Options
    Hi Emma. Hope Paris went well!

Dublin is close to being my favourite- amazing atmosphere, brilliantly organised and great craic for the after party!!!!

Weather in 2010 was perfect- crisp, cold and dry, so supporters out in droves. The undulating course give your legs a chance to recover, so DEFINITELY PB potential.

PS- nothing beats Snowdon for me so far.
  • Options

I did it in 2006 and don't remember it being a huge buzzy atmosphere, but didn't have any low points either, despite my performance being off due to illness.  Support is a bit sparse at times and the course is a little up and down but nothing too strenuous.  Good organisation and a great city visit if you need an extra excuse.

• Options
    ffRAN wrote (see)
    Hi Emma. Hope Paris went well!
    Dublin is close to being my favourite- amazing atmosphere, brilliantly organised and great craic for the after party!!!!
    Weather in 2010 was perfect- crisp, cold and dry, so supporters out in droves. The undulating course give your legs a chance to recover, so DEFINITELY PB potential.
    PS- nothing beats Snowdon for me so far.

Fran - lovely to hear from you!!!!!!! I was wondering where you were!

How are you? What have you been up to? How are the babies? (amd grown up babies too).image

It's a girlie weekend so going over on the Saturday then not returning until Tuesday so we can celebrate on Monday evening! Hopefully 4:20 or maybe 4:17 with a bit of luck!

• Options
    Wow Emma! Your training has really paid dividends - will message you xxxx
  • Options

Only at 4:26 currently but aiming for under 4:20! But definately an improvement - have been aiming for sub 4:30 for 3 years so a relief!

• Options

I know so chuffed - 22 mins off!

So target sub 4:20 now!

• Options

Flights, hotel & race all booked - now for the training... - Eeek!

Visions of a cold pint of Guinness (or two!) at the finish is all the inspiration I need.

Cheers!

• Options

I'm now thinking marathon trainin gthrough the simmer = bad bad idea!

• Options

But hopefully as the training mileage increases, the temperature decreases!  Well, that's my theory anyway!

4 weeks of pottering about & then the wonderful Hal Higson 18 week plan to knuckle down to - he's been my saviour for many a race!! Aiming for a sub 4:30.

Good luck to all!

• Options
    Em- Freudian slip -"training through the simmer"- get those runs done in the heat and when it comes to nice, crisp Autumnal weather, it will feel SO easy - honest!

Xxxx

Puffling- I want to try the Hal Higson 18 week programme. Have you done it before?
  • Options

ffRAN - followed it for Dublin 2010 (your name is very familar from that forum as well!) & he all but held my hand! Did the Novice Plan & every week there was an additional day by day/inspirational blurb which I found invaluable - when things got tough. Have kept them all, just knowing I would return to Dublin! Would love to knock that 30mins off.

x

• Options

ffRAN - you are not wrong! Scorchio on Saturday - v v slow as it was so hot but 11.2 miles done. Whated to be back up to 15 miles by now but never mind!

Are you doing Dublin this year? WIll I see you at the start?!

Going to try my first long run on my own this weekend ... mmm best not go out in to the country as so frightened by dogs!

• Options
    No, sorry, Emma- I'm not doing Dublin this year but loved doing it the same year as Puffling - 2010.... Wasn't the weather perfect? Very cold and crisp to start(frost!)?then lovely sunny day but not hot. Loved every inch of the way and thoroughly enjoyed the amount if times I was told I was "looking gorgeous"!!!! That's Dubliners for you.

I'm thinking of following the Intermediate 2 programme. To get those "inspirational blurbs", did you subscribe, Puffling?

As I'm going to do Chester on the 7th Oct, then Snowdon on the 27th, I'll probably be training the same mileage as you so hope you don't mind if I hover on here?
  • Options

Sounds like a plan ffRAN! image

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

I committed to my club mates this week that I'll be doing the 2012 Dublin marathon as my first marathon.image

It has a great reputation in Ireland as 'the one to do', probably because it's the biggest, but all of the feedback I hear is that the crowds are great, it's a good course and a good atmosphere.

If you can tie it in with a weekend in Dublin, then all the better. Enjoy but don't forget there's more to Dublin than Temple Barf !

• Options

ffRAN - Think Hal has got wise & now only lets you have 'inspirational blurbs' if you subscribe - things were soo very different in 2010?! Luckily I kept all mine.  Wondered about Intermediate, but panic slightly if I see words like 'interval', 'fartlek' & 'hills'!!.  Know I need to push myself, but quite happy pottering!

Forum seems very quiet - perhaps when serious training starts it'll liven up.

Redjeep! - get that entry in!