Chicago Marathon 2012

Comments

• felixafelixa ✭✭
    I managed the 16 miles on the plan last Sunday which went well enough. Started early to avoid the heat. I have 18 to do this weekend. Tried a new session mid week; Yasso 800's. Has anyone tried them? I managed 8 of them with 400m recoveries. I understand you're supposed to do them at planned marathon time (for me 4.30 minutes, for a 4.30 marathon) building up to 10 of them over the course of your training. Quite good fun for a change but also hard work. And it was hot!!

Everyone having a good week? Received final payment request from 2:09 so must be 10 weeks to go....
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Don't think I've ever done yasso. My calf was giving me some problems earlier in the week, but it seems to have eased off now. It's all been easy pace runs for me just to keep things ticking over while saving the calf from any real punishment.

I see they have set up corrals for everyone now to try and filter the race start. I'm in corral G with an 8am start. I guess that's another 30 minutes in bed, or more likely another 30 minutes queueing at portaloos!

• felixafelixa ✭✭
    Hey, thanks for the heads up. I got straight on the phone to 2:09 to ask about getting us into the correct corrals. They haven't had the race documentation through yet and so cant ask us about our predicted finish times until they do, but assure me all will be ok! Hope it's not a hot day, as I think I should be in corral J which will be a good half hour behind you.

I got new shoes (Brooks Pure Cadence) in the post on Wednesday and went out for a 9 mile run after work wearing them. Stupid I know! Anyway I now have sore calves and a new blister for my efforts, so that serves me right!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I don't think the corrals are based on predicted time. The first four corrals are, but you had to fax (really who still faxes stuff!) proof of the time to get a slot. The new corrals and splitting the starting times between 7:30 & 8:00 seem to be to thin out the crowds at the start. I'm happy with that from the organisers. They had something like that in Paris, which meant a longer wait to get started, but good space once it started allowing everyone to run at their own pace without getting boxed in.

• felixafelixa ✭✭
    Oh well that sounds like good news. Had a horrible run today, cut short by torrential rain. I was soaked and frozen and gave up after 10 miles.....should be 18 today. Does it do any good to make up the miles in a second session the same day or do you have to be on your feet in one go to get the long run benefi? I doubt I'll find the time to do a long run in the week. Hope you had a better day image
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I don't think there would be much benefit in playing catch-up by splitting the session. Maybe you could swap that session with another if it works with your schedule and you think you need it. I think for long runs it's all about time on feet in one session.

Soaked and frozen is pretty normal for me. Although I seem to have been lucky this weekend and missed most of the rain when out running.

• Very happy to have done my first 20 miler this plan which went well. Sunny with nice sea breeze, so all goodimage

Did a 10 mile tempo run on Monday, easy 5 miles on Tuesday, easy 9 miles Wednesday, intervals on Thursday and hills on Saturday, so a busy week, making my first ever week of over 50 miles. Cutting back this week as I'm off to the Olympics for the weekendimage
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Well done, sounds like a punishing week. I was on my "rest" week this week and notched a new half marathon PB this morning of 1:43:51.

For those that may not be getting the marathon e-mails if you are going with one of the tour companys here is some information on the start corrals.

"The 2012 Bank of America Chicago Marathon will feature a new Wave Start and Start Corral process. As a part of this process, all participants will be assigned to a specific Start Corral. You are currently assigned to Start Corral G. However, with the estimated finish time you submitted for Corral placement may qualify for a more forward Start Corral assignment in Wave 1.

If you competed in a half marathon or marathon run between January 1, 2010 and August 17, 2012 and have a time under 1:51 (half marathon) or 4:01 (marathon) you qualify for a Wave 1 Start Corral (A, B, C or D).

To gain entry into Start Corral A, B, C or D (Wave 1) you must submit proof of a qualifying time in the form of a result certificate or race result page via fax to 312.904.9808. Qualifying times must be from a marathon or half marathon run between January 1, 2010 and August 17, 2012.

Please note that the deadline to change your Start Corral assignment is Friday, August 17.

Start Corrals will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Once a Start Corral has reached its capacity, it will close. Participants will then be assigned to the next available Start Corral. We will provide weekly Start Corral capacity updates on the Start Corrals page at chicagomarathon.com."

• I have received my race confirmation through at last, so have now been able to get on line to register for the corral I want. They had put me in M, so have requested J as I want to register with the Nike Pace team for a sub 4.30 finish. Fingers crossed the weather is not a scorcher or I will have no hope!

Very well done on your new HM PB. It's good to have confirmation that the training is on track isn't it? My training has gone a little haywire this week and I have no time for a long run as will be at the Olympic stadium on Friday, family get together on Saturday and watching/ supporting Lee in the marathon on Sunday. Thought I'd try and get to Richmond Park for a run on Saturday before family commitments take over. Never been there before, but the weather seems to be set fine, so it should be lovely image
  • Hello all, will be at Chicago this year for my first marathon!! Starting in Coral C and aiming for comfortably under the 4 hour mark, but will have to wait and see. Due to having family in the area ended up being there to watch last year and it looks like a fantastic race really well organised and flat image although a little hotter than training in the UK!!

Nice to see everyone is going through similar training and mileage to me! 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

If only I could get the fax machine at the office to work I could upgrade my starting corral. Really, who still faxes stuff?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll be a nice cool day come race day. I always run much better in the cold. The heat kills me.

• Not looking forward to the heat either, perhaps I should have chosen Amsterdam after all! No, seriously, am looking forward to seeing Chicago as it's our first visit. Any sightseeing tips JeremyG? Should we book stuff in advance?

I just updated my starting corral through the Chicago website. Put in my name and up came the form to make the request, all done on line. What do you need the fax for?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'll need to take a look at that. The e-mail stated you needed to fax through a proven time to qualify for one of the first four corrals, which is what I'd be wanting as I'm aiaming for a 3:45 time.

I have my 3:49 from Paris earlier this year, which is good enough to get me in to one of those corrals.

• Ah, of course, I was forgetting you are a speedster!! For us slow coaches, we just fill out an on line form with a guesstimate of our finishing time. You are indeed stuck with the dreaded fax! Good luck.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

That's definitely the first time I've ever been called a speedster!

• Hi Felixa lots to see and do in Chicago and from my experience last year although it is a busy weekend booking is not really needed. The Willis Tower is well worth visiting and going up. The Art Institute and Millenium square both were we will be starting and finishing are also worth a visit. Other than that I was really happy just walking the lake and Michigan Avenue.

Finding a fax machine for entry is a real pain, I had to find to dust ours off in the office to get mine in!!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to visiting Chicago again. Long time since I was I was last there, 1997 to be exact!

I'm planning to take in the Science and Industry Museum, the Hancock Tower and I'll try and grab a ticket from the Blackhawks game the evening before the marathon.

• The science and industry is amazing we did it last year, only in America would they be able to build a museum around a german submarine!

We will be fingers crossed going to the Bulls basketball game on the Tuesday after then run.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I fly down to New York the day after the race. I'll be taking in an American Football game down there on the Monday night.

Eight weeks to go. image

• Have you manged to get that fax machine sorted yet? Thanks for the sightseeing tips JG. We will definitely do the Willis Tower plus I thought it would be nice to try the architecture tour from the lake. Was thinking less walking for my post marathon legs! Have had a not so great week last week what with all the Olympic visit excitement messing up my plan. Time to knuckle down this week and focus on getting all my sessions in. Another 20 miler this Sunday, so I hope the weather improves before then. Lots of thunder and torrential rain todayimage

Hope everyone is injury free and the training is going well.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Not got hold of a fax machine yet. Might be able to get my sister to send one from her work.

I hope you have more fun on your 20, than I did with my 21 last weekend. I had a bad day with that one. Glad to have it done though.

• Happy to help if I can. I have fax machine in my office. Let me know; you could scan your race certificate to me on email and I'll happily fax it to them tomorrow.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Thanks, that would be great. If I have no luck with my sister I'll take you up on your offer.

The curse of working for an IT firm. We view fax machines as museum items!

• Hi fellow Chicago runners,

Live in Burton On Trent, will be flying out on the Thursday. Chicago will be my third marathon and have been following a training plan aimed at doing a 3:15 time.  Will be starting in corral B.

Are people going out on their own or with family?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'll be over on my own. I fly out on the Thursday too, from Glasgow via Dublin.

A 3:15 would be a great time, what's you're current PB?

• Current PB is 3:35 so think it might be a bit too much to do 3:15 but the training has been going well. Anything under 3:30 and I will be happy and the nearer to 3:15 the more happier I'll be.

• How's everyones training going?

I've picked up a bit of groin injury, so I'll be running to complete rather than race for a time this time around. I can live with that, as I've had a good year with my running settings PB's at marathon, half and 10km this year. I managed to complete a 22 mile LSR last weekend with the injury, so I know I can do the distance with it but will have to curb the pace. I'm just going to try and enjoy this one.

Enjoyed my first week of the taper and now getting very excited about getting away.

• Picking up an injury is annoying, but at leat you know you can get round and you can relax and enjoy the experience without the pressureimage

I have done 2 x 20 miles and 2 x 22 miles this time round so am really hoping it will make a difference and those last 6 miles or so won't be quite as horrendous as they were in London. Can't bear to think about it being as awful as that!!

First week of taper just come to an end and I have to say I'm feeling just about as tired as I was at the end of last week! Might cut it down a bit more than I was planning to next week. Not long to go now. I have been reading the participants information booklet on the website which has good information in there about the weekend. Hope everyone else is feeling fit and raring to goimage