"I could have walked it faster"

Comments

• I'm an X Socks man. Speed Metal. They are absolutely brilliant, never had a blister in the three years since I converted to them. If you suffer blisters give them a go, they are not cheap but if you shop around you can get them for around £13-15
  • Zaftig - no magic formula since I was at school I have always trained to push hard at that last section steadily increasing the pace at the end to give 100% the last 100m but Sunday I found the landmarks quite motivating and there was just something extra special about the crowds at the end still there in the rain it was pure adrenaline/dopamine carrying me through

As for socks cheap and cheerful Karrimor running socks from sports direct less than £5 for 2 pairs and they have awesome cushioning for me they do the job
  • I know, expensive, but I got 3 years out of the first pair, and worth it to get no blisters!
  • This doesn't really link up with blisters but is loosely linked with being a back of the pack runner. I saw the guy with the electric pylong/Eiffel Tower/Blackpool Tower thing being helped to have a pee in a bush (I wasn't watching - honestly).
    Obviously, he couldn't get into a Port-a-loo with that contraption on his back?! (I don't actually know what the person helping him did - hold up his Tower, I think?) Anyway, being at the back I did get to see plenty of fancy dress entrants which was entertaining.
  • Ai 'Dave' carrying Blackpool tower was amazing the support he was getting was helping me get through and it was pure entertainment watching him negotiate the lower bridges
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    I passed the Blackpool Tower guy right near the start after I'd queued to use the Portaloo and the bloke with him was helping him to get his tower under telephone lines.
  • I passed him on mile 7, and I was 9 minute miling. How he was that far ahead I don't know, but goes to show how badly people estimate their time for the marathon to get a good start place. I was so far back and couldn't get going and passed my first (overweight and wheezing) walker in under a mile!
  • Phatboyrunning - I was amazed how many people looked to be struggling so soon! And, that's quite a statement coming from me.

I still haven't quite got over not coming across Bagpuss! image I did run with the ice hockey players at times. I was quite happy with that I thought if I got a photo with them in it I'd look much faster than I really was.

I started at the Blue start - Pen 9. After less than two miles there was a guy on the pavement getting help. He was standing up but had a bloody head - I thought he might have fallen and hit his head on the pavement. He looked very disorientated. I really hope he was ok - my heart went out to him. He must have been so disappointed. He was running for charity too.
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    I think it says more about the person who made the comment than anything else, i.e that they are socially a bit of a tw*t. Why else would you want to belittle anyone else? I bet those that run under 3hrs wouldn't make a comment like that.

You did well, lap it up and ignore the c*ck who made the comment.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done on doing it. I've had similar comments but shrugged it off. It was a PB for ME.

I was in Blue Start #9 as well and got really irritated by overtaking so many walkers so early on who were in the middle of the road. Fair enough - you need to walk but give other runners a chance to run.

• I have been wearing the X-socks for a quite a while now on my long runs. Brilliant! So good I bought a race version to run the marathon in. Sometimes it can be worth spending a bit more. At £11 odd they aint cheap for socks.
  • Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)
    Adam Binnie wrote (see)

No sooner had I said my time, someone said (joking, but still) that they could have walked it faster. He was swiftly told where to go and reminded that the ballot opens on Monday, so why not have a go.

When you ask somebody to try their own hand at something before criticizing your efforts, you have violated Ebert's Law and lost the argument.
    Surely in this case given that they said "they could walk it faster" be telling htem to have a go, you're not violating Ebert's law, just asking them to prove their assertation?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • R Allen - I was blue pen 9 but managed to walk up into 8, I saw the same guy (I assume) in the middle of the road face down, with some very kind souls trying to get him into the recovery position. I felt a bit selfish not stopping but as I know no first aid I didn't see much point but also felt quite sorry for the 4 or 5 runners with him. Glad to hear you saw him standing and that no other news followed, as they say no news is good news.
  • PipG wrote (see)
    I think it says more about the person who made the comment than anything else, i.e that they are socially a bit of a tw*t.  Why else would you want to belittle anyone else?  I bet those that run under 3hrs wouldn't make a comment like that.

You did well, lap it up and ignore the c*ck who made the comment.
    spot on!!

Dogslife -I aspired for sub 5 but bowels and warmth conspired against that-lol Oh yes, have COPD so 5hr 38 mins was not bad at allimage
  • STU I think Dogslife Is trying to be provocative ignore him, your time and everyones finishing time is amazing, well done to everyone,
  • especially to those whose race didn't go to plan but pushed on to the finish.
  • I am a healthy adult, trained as hard as I could, ran the whole way and finished in 5hours 34 minutes. I couldn't be prouder.
  • well done Emma image -well done all the finishersimage
  • Dogslife wrote (see)

The facts are you can walk faster than 5half hours. It would be a brisk walk, but possible. 4.76mph or 12'36 min/mile

I'm not demeaning the achievement, but any healthy adult that's put in the very basic of training should be aspiring to run at least sub 5hrs. Only my opinion of course.

If in doubt, mention the charity. People should bow at your feet, shouldn't they?

Prob depends on the person, I have done a  lot of walking/hiking over the years and even on the flat, walking as fast as possible I still can't make faster than 4 miles an hour. and certainly couldnt keep up that walking pace for 26 miles. At 5ft 5 i have got short legs though image
  • Agree M'sM - there seems to be a misconception that 4m.p.h is the average walking pace - it's more like 3. 
  • I honestly think it is a harder challenge when you finish in, say, 5:30 hours than in 3:30 hours. I finished my last marathon in 3:27 hours and the thought of running for another 2 hours on top of that is nearly incomprehensible! Well done and ignore the minority that watch the elite runners on the tele and then compare our times to theirs.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    hmmm not sure banterful...
    It depends on your own pace I guess, I ran 3h38 this year and struggled to hold my pace all the way thru, effort on a scale of 1-10 would be a 10. However I would have found it easier to run it in, say 5hrs (8 km/hr), sure its longer on your feet, but effort would be something like a 5. 
    Thats not to bellittle anyones achievement, as I said it comes down to effort level.
    As for average pace, sure you can walk at say 4mph, but I doubt many people will hold that for more than an hour, two tops.  

well done anyone who completed the marathon, irrespective of time.
  • Bear B.Hind wrote (see)
    Agree M'sM - there seems to be a misconception that 4m.p.h is the average walking pace - it's more like 3. 
    Completely agree, to sustain anything above 4mph over 26 miles you would need to have trained specifically to power walk or racewalk.  Walking is NOT running only slower, it requires that you use your legs and feet differently, that's why walking shoes are different from running shoes.
  • I agree, I've tried power walking and found the stress it put on my shins was far greater than when running.