Crows/Ravens...

We have what appears to be a family of crows/ravens (how do you know the difference? big black beasties anyway) of these in the eves of our house...we don't want to disturb the nest...but we would like to have an idea of when they'll be gone so we can get the guttering/eves of the house fixed.]

Any idea?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Probably crows, ravens are quite rare.

They will have chicks in the nest now, probably. 

Until the chicks fledge, you'll see the parents going back and forth, and you'll probably see lots of white streaks on the ground.  The chicks crap little globs, and the parents take them out of the nest and drop them on the ground as they fly off (so that the nest doesn't fill up with chick poo).

Can you get a view of the nest from a neighbour's house?

• they might also be jackdaws - they have a slightly sooty head and are a bit smaller than crows. ravens tend not to nest in properties but jackdaws do. crows usually prefer trees.

anyway - eggs around now so you need to leave the nest for a couple of months until the chicks have flown
  • Hmm...best idea might be to ask the RSPB or good old fashioned Google. We have a nest at work and we've been told we can't touch it during certain months as its protected. Your local council might also be able to shed some light on it too...

apropos the crow/raven theme - is it ravens that make good pets? Or jackdaws? I remember mum telling me her "aunt" had a bird as a pet....I think it was a jack daw...think I'd still prefer a cat.

• Thanks for the replies... I suspect like Wilkie says that the babies might be hatched as mum and dad are keeping tight watch and swooping out anytime someone enters or leaves our house. And scare the crap outta me lol! Looks like we've a bit of a wait on our hands.
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Jackdaws are smaller and have a friendlier eye. And a friendlier beak!!
  • No these things look evil!! No friendliness at all!!
  • You must have large eaves - ravens are about 64cm long. (Even crows are nearly half a metre long) Another difference is the call - crows are arough edged tenor/baritone. Ravens are definitely baritone/bass, with a distinct "cronk" call.

To answer your original question, ravens nest early and their young should be thinking about flying soon. As to their rarity, it depends where you live - there are plenty around here.

How many birds are there? There is a saying - if you see three crows, they are rooks. If you see one rook, its a crow!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Jackdaws nest in holes be it tree, building or cliff, Carrion crows, Magpies, Jays and Rooks nest in tree branches and Ravens tend to choose ledges on cliff faces.

🙂

• Quite right, Ric F, although the large jackdaw colony in the village includes tree nests as well as holes, and Ravens can also nest in trees.