VLM 2013 Outsiders Thread

123457»

Comments

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Good for you Paul, really well done! It's a fantastic achievement and you've done yourself proud!

I was so annoyed with myself, even if I had been just a little more conservative I'm sure I could have made under 4 hours which would have been acceptable for me! I actually picked up a wee bit through the tunnel as I just wanted to get out, (looked like something out of a horror movie) with the amount of folks bent over / limping / stretching / moaning etc (although I was also moaning!)

You're right though, the crowd was incredible and it can never be underestimated about how the support helps you. I saw my wife and kids and parents a couple of times along the route and just seeing the proud looks on their faces made it all worthwhile! it was fantastic to be a part of the whole experience and will definitely be back for another crack at the Marathon (forgetting about 330 for now and will train for 345) next year in Edinburgh. Got the 1/2 to look forward to in the meantime to (hopefully) give me a boost!

• Gutted for you Miggito image Next time though you will nail it.

I suffered in the heat although fortunately managed to keep my pace fairly close to target all the way. I went through halfway a couple of minutes ahead of target which I paid for at 21 miles when I started to slow and couldn't do anything to get back on pace. Anyway I managed to keep running and finished with a whole THREE seconds to spare in 2:59:56 image

My last 200m attempt at a spring was far from pretty and I virtually colapsed after I went over the line which proved I had absolutely nothing left in the tank whatsoever.

I can't see Paul's posts for some reason, how did he get on?

• Hi everyone, managed to get my ballot entry in today for next year before the system filled up, I can't remember a year when it closed out so quickly!!!

Sorry to hear about your nightmare Miggito, I melted down a little, also due to going off too fast but luckily for me the wheels didn't start wobbling until mile 20 or so, the last 10k was a bit of a battle of attrition with me trying to block out the pain and stop my brain from convincing me that walking would be quicker than the pace I was going at, my Garmin splits would prove to me later that my mind was playing tricks on me as I was still 8 minute miling at that point!!!

I went through the half point at 1:32 and finished in 3:19, so only 4 mins outside my goal, which I can't be unhappy with image. just need to try and be more even paced, I just got carried away with the moment for the first 18-20 miles!!!

Paul, that is a great run, and I completely agree with you about the fantastic support throughout the whole race.

Roger, that is amazing, sub 3 hrs with a burn up at the end, just how an all out marathon should be done!!! I bet you were chuffed once you had recovered.

Well done everyone, here's to 2014!!!