Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I want to go to the lakes too!!!
  • Wow loads to catch up on. AC8 well done on your run. Looks like the prep is coming on well. Don't worry bout losing weight. Keeping it on becomes the problem.

I didnt do the 10k this weekend because I didnt think I could repeat the 41:42 from Wednesday. went for a 7 mile steady run @7.30 pace on Saturday along the Wirral Way. Loads of dogs off the lead but all friendly enough.

Then saturday went for an 11 mile run @8min pace dont think I have got this easy run pace sorted yet. Stuck to it for the 1st 7 miles and then came in @7:40 pace. Need to slow down a bit although did feel comfortable throughout and heart rate never reached 160.

Hope everyone's Coniston prep is going to plan. How long now? image

Cheers

Luke

• Hi all

Just read through everything I'd missed, very enjoyable to catch up, wish I was coming to the lakes.

SB yes I did try to add my Park Runs after that option became available, maybe Hackney Marshes is too off road to count.

Oscarr - again I love what you are saying, I had the very special experience of being with a close friend and leaving nothing unsaid or at least demonstrated, so I learned the same thing, it is so moving how you write.

Well the trials were something else!

For me the highlights were Jo Pavey - unbelievable how she came through, Perri Shakes Drayton from my club whom I adore, it was all about the finishes really, what a tumble by AT, and James Ellington comes to school assemblies with me and is the quietest gentlest bloke ever, I am still emotional over the 200!

There were a few disappointments for me in the sprints, I know young David B is off to the juniors and did so well to make the final, also Josh Swaray disappeared, and Mo went hard and went home!!

Never saw anyone spend as much time with the kids though.

Now approaching Euston, can't wait to get home and watch it all on tele!

Also sprained my ankle yesterday ouch!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I've just ordered the film "Town of Runners" on DVD.  Looks very interesting - about Ethiopian runners.

•  Ten, I missed it at the cinema, must order!

Choisty wish I'd known you were around yesterday.

I realize that what I said earlier was the tip of the iceberg, as I'm sure you can imagine - just watched some of the televised highlights and they do miss a lot out.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    RR: never really been into athletics before, but amazing how you get fascinated by it when your doing the same thing...

Re-found the wagon. When out for 8 this morning, was hoping to get in some repeats, but no Garmin, so did a load of fartleks.
  • Thanks for your comments - hard to imagine it being difificult to keep the weight on - I seem to be able to eat for England! Love the stats - keep them coming!
    Enjoing 2 days of rest right now. 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

This morning I started with one mile warm-up at 10:54 pace, then did 3 x 1 mile reps at 8:00 pace with 2 minutes 45 seconds active recovery.  Had a bit of a mental battle with the third rep, so I think I planned it just about right for my current level of ability.  Completed the reps and finished six miles in total.  I had no pain, so I also think it was a good move to replace shorter/faster intervals with these longer ones.

I'm hoping to be capable of sub-50 minute 10k (8:00 pace) by the end of the year (among other targets), to be in with a shout for a sub-4 hour marathon next spring.

• Morning all - my last post as we're heading away tomorrow (via family visits on the way).

oscarr - I'm with you - forget the time - just enjoy! 

Hill session for me today and then I think I'll get Ben to do my legs this afternoon - my calves are solid.  I spend an hour last night (in front of the tv) working on a knot I found in one calf and that feels a whole lot better today so I think I'm overdue!

Whoop whoop - Coniston here we come ...

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

RR - I was loooking to see whether it was on at any local Cinema's when I found that it had just been released on DVD.

Have fun SB!  I caught up with the olympic trials last night.  Blinding race by Jo Pavey - I guess she really wanted to go to the Olympics!!!

I've just discovered that todays run puts my year-to-date mileage two miles further than I ran in the whole of 2011 (2012: 638m  2011: 636m).  I'm PB chasing now!

• Ten - that's great mileage and with your gradual build up approach you should get progressively fitter and stay clear of injury

• Ten, I did the same on Sunday my mileage so far this year is 708, would need to see what I did in 2011, my guess in about 800. I have seen the benefit of staying fit and training 4-5 times a week. Long may it continue! Have your race times been coming down ?

SB, catch up Sunday, will be at the finish to see you and Oscarr cross the finish line

FH
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Oscarr.

FH - I haven't run any races since the marathon.  My next race is a 10k at the end of July, so I'll get some indication then.  

I received my race number this morning image.  Pretty unceremonious - just the race number - no instructions, directions or anything else about the race, which seems a bit odd.

• Ten, you should do a really good time as long as you can find the start!!

FH
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

image  I've emailed the organiser to make sure I'm not missing anything.  

• Jo Pavey was good at the trials, I also really enjoyed the mens race...a great day out especially for the kids, UKA do put on a good show and my daughter might actually have a go at athletics now.

Also chaps don't forget the twist kingsclere fast a week Sunday (8th July) if you fancy a 5mile jaunt round some fantastic scenery at the foot of the north downs.  I will be gardening the corse this weekend to make sure it's in shape for everyones feet!  www.twistkingsclere5.org.uk

Ten, remeber you will win your next race due to post op speed!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Choisty - I now know the meaning of the "V" in the race class "MV".  I guess they separate us out from other males due to the unfair advantage of having had the op.  

• Want that DVD must get it out of the library if they can order a copy.......

Run 20 miles so far this week, just went bonkers last night and kept running sacked the schedule felt good so kept going and going. Ran in to work and at lunch. Bit tight in the legs now cant think why!!!  Hey enjoy LE WEEKEND Oscar and SB and Ten apologises if I have missed anybody!!  Raining here again, summer lasted half a day....... 

• MCS, you missed me !!  Sounds like you have a touch of the Forrest Gumps !

Just done an easy 3 off road in prep for Sunday, will do another 4 Thursday and then I am done!

FH

p.s off to see Rhod Gilbert now, very funny man

• Just thought I would stop by and say I had one of those most fantastic of runs tonight..I went out tired after work for a bit of a plod and decided to head into the hills; as I approached I began to notice the low cloud draped across them, as if they were tucked into bed for the night.  I proceeded to spend the next 40 minutes running up into the eerie realm of the cloud, where I could see no further than 10 metres and the world was still and silent, then dipping back down and see for miles across the Berkshire/Hampshire border as the birds chattered their evening chorus.  It was a true inspiration and I enjoyed all nine miles of it (it was supposed to be 6, but hey who's counting).  The sleigh ride home was a delight as I ran as fast as my legs would carry off the hills

image This is why I run!

• Choisty, thank you that's was awesome !

FH
  • Choisty - agree with FH, that's an awesome account of a run and reminds me of the quote in RW by the guy who did the article/tribute to Micah True who "..showed us a better way to run - one focused on absorbing the beauty around us...." - mate, you're a legend cos you can go sh.t fast as well !!!

Can't make Kingsclere now so that pint you owe me will have to wait !! hope it goes well for you.

FH - I emailed the race director for Lakeland about the course and he says no problems after all the rain so all's well.

mcs - seems this "just go out and run" stuff is catching and i bet you had fantastic scenery as well - can't wait to get to the lakes now. Did you see the article in RW mag for the Steeplechase run in the Peaks?

• Oscarr,  I've applied for the red bull steeplechase malarky, looks good fun

• Oscarr, good news on the course, looks like it gonna be a wet one!! Never mind I love a bit of rain!  I make it four days to go, bring it on!

FH

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Reading Choisty's post has inspired a change of routine this week.  I'm hoping that I can do my "long" run (10 miles) on Friday while my son is at school.  That way I can get outside and hit the trails for a bit.  I'll have to rearrange some work, but I'm sure I'll cope.

This morning was an easy six miler.  I ran at 9:30 pace and went just above my recovery heart rate during the last mile.  I'll run a short easy one again tomorrow to allow for the long run on Friday.

• Choisty wrote (see)

Oscarr,  I've applied for the red bull steeplechase malarky, looks good fun

It is a malarky cos each day (of 4) the slower runners get cut out leaving only the elite to do the last day's run - reckon you need to be in your class to do it unless you just want to do the first day!!  Sounds a lot of fun though and i hope you get in and do well which i am sure you will

• Oscarr I read it that it is all the same day, they let the first 125 past the first steeple, the first 62 past the second and first 31 past the third, before a sprint to the finish.  Seems ridiculously good fun, especially in that part of the world.  Also it looks free to enter, but they are selecting the runners...meaning tactics will be interesting, go out hard to make the later stages or run a measured race in the hope of being in the mix at the end

• Choisty - i must have misread it - not so bad if it's all on the same day - still, it's an interesting tactic choice to make and a great idea.

• Apologies Funny Hat.....alll the best to you too!!image

Did see that race, awesome run but I couldn['t make the cut on that course. I have run up there, though it is busy on the weekends. Evenings are the best time in the summer or early am to head up Win Hill. My daughter rides at Edale, she loves it up there.

30 miles done so far this week, going to keep it going and see what I can do this week before falling over!!! Enjoy the taper Lakes folks.

• FH - starting to look at the forecast now and Coniston on Sunday is white cloud, no rain with temps of 11 first thing rising to a high of 14 - perfect running conditions - no excuses !!