Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Bo/Oscarr/FH - I'm on a rest day today, though I'm gagging to run again.  Must stay disciplined!

I've been looking through the Coniston trails slide show.  Wow!  What a fantastic trail!!  I seriously wish I was there with you.  Definitely one for the future.  

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Ten: be good now....

Been out for a long run today. Was planning on 14. Going well until 13 and it started raining. Proper Old School, Biblical stuff, Noah and all that. Kept going for .3 and had to duck under a tree for shelter, totally soaked and started to head back... But the dried sweat on my head then got dissolved into the water and washed directly into my eyes... So I'm walking down a cycle path looking like a drown rat with bright red eyes and unable to see. Then, then I get cold because of the wind... Great run!!!
  • Just had last bit of pasta, lasagne and bread at hotel - all set for an early night then up and at it in the morning. Met funny hat and oh in services then again in Coniston, great fun and really nice people. Will see sleepy and Ben tomorrow and hopefully piers. Dry here so far (keeps everything crossed). Brief report after the race. Cheers.
  • Oscarr, top bloke, great to see you, both times ! All the best tomorrow, see you at the finish. Have a good race sleepy and piers, hope to see you as well .

Just relaxing now and treble checking my race kit !

FH
  • Good luck all you coniston runners, may the trail be kind and the wind at your back
  • Cheers Choisty !

FH
  • Cheers choisty - bit wet and windy here now but not too bad.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Beautiful morning here - sadly I'm confined to the treadmill.  Six miles this morning, including three miles at 8:13 pace and one mile at 8:56 pace which caps off 38 miles for the week.  This coming week I'm planning a bit of a recovery week with a dip in mileage.  

• Thinking of you serious Lakeland runners this am. 67 miles done this week seriously high mileage just to see if I cracked but the body though sore has survived. Did a ten this am in the rain. Hope it's not too windy and wet in the Lakes. Must start on the proper schedule this week.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Great mileage mcs!  Are you doubling-up some days to get the miles in?

• Quick lakes update....... Rain for first 20, wind too, hills not fit mountain goats and bogs that wanted to steal my running shoes !! Did ok, no I did better than that, finished in top 30 of the challenge in a time of 4:31 , will update later.

Just had a bath and going back to cheer Oscarr in .

FH
  • Running a marathon in the Lake district puts my run today into perspective! Ran a bit over 10m this afternoon in 1hr 42. Approx 10m mile pace (av Heart rate 142 - so very steady) - my longest run since my half marathon exactly 3 months ago. According to my "MyAsics" plan I ought to have run 4 of these over the past 5 weeks and today I was scheduled to run 20k - at a faster pace. So, I'm approx 1 month behind my October marathon schedule - but at least it felt OK and I'm fit and healthy! Have a HM in 3 weeks - feel able to do that and should get a new PB. 

• AC8, would of loved to run just 10 miles today!!

Did get to see Oscarr finish and caught up with Sleepy and Ben, will let Oscarr update you on his stats later.

Finished 23 in the end , most pleasing bit was last two miles @ 8:50 pace, managed to get back 5 places in the process. Legs feel ok now, but will be in bed early !

FH
  • Awesome FH, it sounds like an extra long version of Benfleet!

• RR, words can explain how tough it was, because of the rain the tracks were streams and my shoes/socks were soaked through from about 3 miles in. Be good to hear what Oscarr thinks post finishing.

FH
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Wow, guys and girls. That sounds like a tough old day out, I was jealous and now I'm not!!image

Was thinking about you when having a screaming two year old...
  • Morning all!

Trench foot here!  Can't tell you how brilliantly oscarr, FH and anyone else who did the full marathon did - truly hardcore!  I'd like to tell you much more about the half but it went by in a blur of feet-watching I'm afraid.  All I can say is that the first 30 minutes were torture but I quaffed a zipvit with caffeine and started to feel better after that.  Contrary to the profile given on the website - the course undulates pretty much continuously all the way round - more of a very long cross country than a trail run!

I managed to glance at my watch 3 times in the 2 hours (dead) that I was out - went through 5k at 21:00 (though I don't believe that given it was predominantly uphill and into the wind so I think it was just the nearest sign mount they could find), 10k @ 52:00 (I'd have though again in the wrong place- would have thought more like 55) and 15k at 1:20 (a bit more likely).

Absolutely loved it with hindsight but won't be hurrying back to do the full marathon until I'm much, much, much fitter!

FH - where did you get your results from - think I'm being blind - are they on the website?

Hope everyone is feeling sprightly and not too sore this morning (nice mileage mcs btw)

Was lovely to meet FH and Mrs FH and to catch up with oscarr! Both looking very happy at the finish.

Looks like I've brought the rain home with me so I'll be visiting the treadmill later for my easy 40 mins!  Am getting the hang of not overdoing it so that I can carry on the next day - must be growing up!!!

• Wow well done SB its tough country up north tha knows!!! Said in a northern accent!! Great effort as the Lakes is hardcore stuff. Well done to all. Look forward to hearing more reports.......please.image

66 miles done for me last week, thought about you guys yesterday as windy and wet here in Derbyshire.  Doubles and triple runs some days to get it in. Back abit sore so going to go back down to sensible mileage this week. Three mile plod to work this am day 8 of my running streak.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Well done on the full and half marathons!  I did smile at the image of FH going back for a bath, reading the newspaper, perhaps a spot of lunch before going back to see Oscarr finish image.  Had I been there, Oscarr would have had time to do the same waiting for me to finish image.  I think this marathon sounds like one simply to be experienced without any regard for time, so hat's off to everyone who has completed it.  Like SB, perhaps I'd better build more fitness before having a go myself - but it's on my list.

This morning I went to the hospital for a gastroscopy.  I hadn't had one before and opted not to have sedation because I have to be copus mentus to look after my son.  It was not a pleasant experience, and I'll think twice before forgoing sedation in future!  The good news is that that my problems are not the big C, which was feared.  They have taken biopsies and are going to test me for a couple of other, less serious conditions.  It's a weight off my mind.

• Ouch Ten.....not nice. I have had a few endoscopy's but wouldn't have those without being knocked out. All the best for the results.

• Ten - fantastic news - here's hoping they get you sorted soon (((HUGS)))

• SB, I got my result I the sports hall after I came back to see Oscarr.

Ten, I did start 2 hours before Oscarr, was so good to get back in time to see him cross the finish, he looked pleased to see us after the hardcore marathon!

MCS, good miles for you last week, take it easy this week.

FH
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks mcs/SB.  I got a bit of a morale boost this morning when the nurse asked me "are you very fit - is your pulse normally this low?" image 

I've just booked myself into a ten mile race in September.  I'm planning to race at approximately five week intervals to the end of this year 10k/10k/10m/HM/HM.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

FH - I'm impressed with Oscarr now I know that he was giving everyone a head start!  That's confidence for you!  

• Well done everyone at Coniston and good news Ten you can runner with a bigger smile.  knocks my little 8mile race into a cocked hat!

I also cleared the course for the kingsclere 5 last weekend and got bitten to pieces by horseflies...still it is done now

• Hi folks - so, the Lakeland trail marathon - where do i start?

First thing to say is that it was the toughest run i have ever attempted and whilst i feel very proud to have completed it successfully i would not rush back to do it again, ever!!  It really is hardcore running and you would feel a great sense of achievment running over that terrain in a single 5 mile x-country race and think you had stepped up a level so to do it for five and bit x-countries in one go is pretty awesome.

Why so tough?  The rain over the last month had a big impact and it rained most of the run.  The first half was so up and down that it resembled a fairground rollercoaster.  The last 9 miles included - knee high bogs (so glad my shoe and foot were both still connected to my leg when i pulled it out), a downhill section of 2 miles on a rocky river bed, several sections where it was unsafe to run cos of the rocks and bogs, streams to paddle through, forest sections with very tricky exposed tree roots to dance through, several styles and funny gates.  I only fell once, at about 23 miles just coming out of the woods.

Time has no relevance really although i did beat the time limits at the various feed stations by quite a bit which was pleasing.  Finished in 5:30 which i was pleased with - after all the trials of the trails the route finished with the last couple of miles on tarmac and was pleased i had the strength to run steady at that stage.  First half in 2:30 then second in 3:00 - strength throughout was good but the terrain in the second half was just so tough.

They call it the most picturesque UK marathon - not for me, i spent five and half hours looking down about one metre ahead of me (apart from once when i fell !!).

I expected it to be a tough run but not that tough.  I thought we would be able to run all the way on trails but the last half was dominated by sections you simply could not run safely on and i found that frustrating as i hadn't expected those underfoot conditions and i had the energy to run and wanted to get going.  I've done lots and lots of x-country in the past but all the trails used mean you can run all the way - i guess that's why i got frustrated.  Trail running in the lakes is a different type of run.

Who should do it?  If you want a challenge and/or something different then go for it.  If something a bit more extreme is your thing then do it.

Having said all this - right now i feel a fantastic sense of achievment, the knowledge of achieving something different and very, very tough and, as Sleepy says, very HARDCORE !!!!!  If anyone tries to tell me that any road marathon is tough then get out of my way!!!

Finally, fantastic to meet up with Ben and Sleepy, and Funny Hat (Nick) and Jeannie (think i got that right?) - they all stayed to see me finish which was awesome of them and made a big difference to me so thanks again guys.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you folks had an 'evenful' weekend... Glad to see everyone is back safe and sound. Deffo not jealous anymore, you 'Bassasses' as my new client group would say.... Well done all!

Ten: glad the news was good! Personal tip, if you get offered drugs from a medical person, take them. If only for the crack (!?!?!?) Had a 'painful' op last year, the two days on diamorphine lead me to think that Gong were more than a poor prog-rock band.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Great report Oscarr.  You still haven't put me off having a go in future, though perhaps it may be another couple of years before I'm ready.  Perhaps the race should be subtitled "the most picturesque marathon in the UK - for spectatorsimage

Well done on completing it - sounds like you had to dig deep!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Bo - good tip.  It's deffo sleepy-bye time for me next time I have that procedure!!!!

• Ten - certainly had to dig deep and i reckon it must have increased my endurance level.  Really hope your tests come back OK.